What's new

My next project - Growing Tobacco

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My harvest after drying for 2 weeks. Some large burley leaves and a mix of burley, dark, and Virginia smaller leaves. Maybe 1/2 pound.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Tied two hands of the large burley and put them in a smoke tent for the afternoon. Trying out smoke curing.

proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Not very strong. Smelled like wood, earth tobacco. After my tobacco was in the smoke tent for the afternoon it was only slightly darker with a mild Smokey scent.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What did you smoke them with? Do you think that you smoke cured them long enough?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
What did you smoke them with? Do you think that you smoke cured them long enough?

I know I did not smoke them long enough. Dark fired tobacco is fire cured for weeks if not months. I just used wood chips and leaf litter. In a commercial setting they would use sawmill staves covered in sawdust.

I'd be interested to hear more about this too. I hadn't noticed this thread before. I've always wanted to do this, or at least since I started pipe smoking. I've got the space but will probably never actually do it.

The 9 plants behind my house do not get enough sun and are still less than 12" tall.
proxy.php

I misread this as FEET and was thinking "ONLY?! How big do they get?!"

Yep. The Golden Rule- those that have the gold make the rules.

I seem to remember hearing something like this in a tv show once. I imagine an old man with a cockney accent in a tavern with his friends saying, "Them what has the gold, makes the rules". :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'd be interested to hear more about this too. I hadn't noticed this thread before. I've always wanted to do this, or at least since I started pipe smoking. I've got the space but will probably never actually do it.

I misread this as FEET and was thinking "ONLY?! How big do they get?!"

I seem to remember hearing something like this in a tv show once. I imagine an old man with a cockney accent in a tavern with his friends saying, "Them what has the gold, makes the rules". :lol:
It has probably been said in many accents and languages for thousands of years. :)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'll wake this thread back up. Why not?

So I built a low raised bed of good compost, and planted two rows of Criollo 98, CT Shade, and CT Broadleaf, first. As I added more dirt, I planted another row of tobacco, Havana 2000. That's the row of smaller plants. Then I finished trucking and shoveling dirt, for a final dimension of 50' wide and 10' deep at the back edge of our property, and I planted at the far end three rows of bantam sweet corn, then three rows of Emerald spineless okra, and finally three rows of bok choy. The bok choy just sprouted this morning and it is not visible in the pic cause the seedlings are so tiny. That's about 90 tobacco plants and I have about a dozen altogether, elsewhere in the ground and even in pots. I hope to end up with about 1000 usable leaves, enough for at least 200 cigars though I may have to buy some wrapper leaf because of insect damage to the crop.

Garden_20220730.jpg

Below, the far end from where I stood taking the first pic. The tall plants are Criollo 98 and you can see the little baby Havana 2000 plants in front, and the corn which sprouted amazingly fast.

Garden_20220730_113907405.jpg

I plan to double the size of this bed over the winter, and in the spring plant 5 rows of tobacco and lots of corn, okra, bok choy, tomatoes, jalapenos, collard greens, and other stuff. I might plant some onions and carrots to winter over, and I will probably plant some beans to climb the stalks of the harvested corn and tobacco, as well as to add nitrogen. I also have two 4' x 8' by 2' high raised beds that I will be doing something with. Watching this tobacco grow is kind of exciting, believe it or not. It is a lot of fun to watch something grow that I don't have to mow! And that I can smoke! (legally!) I am rolling all my cigars these days, and setting some back to age for three years as I go. Buying my leaf and rolling my own costs me about $1.50 per cigar, vs $8 to $15 per stick at the cigar shop, and about 20 minutes per cigar. I usually roll 4 in a session. I have about 70 in the "tupperdor" to smoke in 2025.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'll wake this thread back up. Why not?

So I built a low raised bed of good compost, and planted two rows of Criollo 98, CT Shade, and CT Broadleaf, first. As I added more dirt, I planted another row of tobacco, Havana 2000. That's the row of smaller plants. Then I finished trucking and shoveling dirt, for a final dimension of 50' wide and 10' deep at the back edge of our property, and I planted at the far end three rows of bantam sweet corn, then three rows of Emerald spineless okra, and finally three rows of bok choy. The bok choy just sprouted this morning and it is not visible in the pic cause the seedlings are so tiny. That's about 90 tobacco plants and I have about a dozen altogether, elsewhere in the ground and even in pots. I hope to end up with about 1000 usable leaves, enough for at least 200 cigars though I may have to buy some wrapper leaf because of insect damage to the crop.

View attachment 1496858

Below, the far end from where I stood taking the first pic. The tall plants are Criollo 98 and you can see the little baby Havana 2000 plants in front, and the corn which sprouted amazingly fast.

View attachment 1496859

I plan to double the size of this bed over the winter, and in the spring plant 5 rows of tobacco and lots of corn, okra, bok choy, tomatoes, jalapenos, collard greens, and other stuff. I might plant some onions and carrots to winter over, and I will probably plant some beans to climb the stalks of the harvested corn and tobacco, as well as to add nitrogen. I also have two 4' x 8' by 2' high raised beds that I will be doing something with. Watching this tobacco grow is kind of exciting, believe it or not. It is a lot of fun to watch something grow that I don't have to mow! And that I can smoke! (legally!) I am rolling all my cigars these days, and setting some back to age for three years as I go. Buying my leaf and rolling my own costs me about $1.50 per cigar, vs $8 to $15 per stick at the cigar shop, and about 20 minutes per cigar. I usually roll 4 in a session. I have about 70 in the "tupperdor" to smoke in 2025.

One of the best thread bumps I've seen in a long time.

You are taking RYO to another level.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
First harvest! Okay I did already pick a few wild leaves from down low to the ground already, but today I picked a bunch of ripe ones, probably filler enough for 7 or 8 cigars once it is cured and aged. I have also already topped about 10 plants. The flowers are generally cut off to encourage more leaf growth. As this is my first ever try at growing tobacco, I am pretty stoked.
GardenHarvest_20220813_115125727.jpg

Here is the garden, shot yesterday, so 13 days after the first pic I posted in this thread, for comparison. Tobacco is getting tall, corn is looking good, okra is coming along, and right underfoot is the bok choy and it is finally starting to show some growth.
Garden_20220812_100443034.jpg

Here you can see a couple of ripe leaves. The bottom leaves ripen first. For scale you can see a standard chain link fence in the pic.
Garden_20220812_100408535.jpg

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So i have a question. Is it the variety of tobacco that makes it that height? The only time i was in a tobacco field was when I was in Cuba. The stalks were almost 6 ft tall.

Top Bottom