What's new

My next project - Growing Tobacco

Actually had not considered this. Tobacco can self pollinate so I will need to bag the seed pod before the flowers blossom. I had planned on doing that anyway to prevent seed loss, but now will do it earlier. Thank you.
If I could change your avatar it would be this guy...
View attachment 888323

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
The idea generally is to pick the fastest growing, largest, healthiest plant and let it go to seed. It'll never be quite what it could be but the sacrifice will be worth it for the following years as you have that stock for the next crops.

Here are mine. They're at the father in laws.
20180625_112350.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Nice. Those are about twice as tall as mine right now.

Nice. Those are about twice as tall as mine right now.

He started them in the house but they didn't take off until last week and they quadrupled in volume. They are bright VA. He smokes cigs and me the pipe. Tried picking one that could blend for both.

Mine are doing pretty well. I'll try to get a picture in here soon. I just nipped flowers off of all of them except one...I didn't feel like bagging, so I'll just be collecting little dutch seeds this year.

Damn I really envy you guys! I wish I had a house with room for growing tobacco, fruits or vegetables! It's a dream of mine to one day mostly nurish from my self-planted and harvested foods and only buy complementary foods in the stores. A big pusher to make my studies well!

Keep us updated, this is most interesting!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Mine are doing pretty well. I'll try to get a picture in here soon. I just nipped flowers off of all of them except one...I didn't feel like bagging, so I'll just be collecting little dutch seeds this year.
That's amazing. When did you start your seeds?

Looks like the end of March. I started them indoors under LED shop lights that I was powering off my 100w solar panel.
20180405_085651-01.jpeg

And now they look like this. The tallest is a Criollo 98, about 5.5' tall.

20180626_121502-01.jpeg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have limited space. The 9 plants behind my house do not get enough sun and are still less than 12" tall. The ones on the side of my house get more sun, but are only 2 feet tall. The single plant in my front yard looks good at over 3 feet tall.

My wife is thrilled! LOL

proxy.php

I just harvested some leaves yesterday! Not a lot...the plants kind of got away from me...but enough to try this process out! Just gotta get the leaves browned up now.

Some of these are huge...the Havana K2-24 had leaves a good 2 ft x 1 ft in size.

20180812_163904-01.jpeg

I'm going to keep flipping the stacks until they start to brown up. After they brown (if I manage that successfully) I will hang them indefinitely until I'm ready to ferment them. I'll probably ferment in one of those foam coolers/plastic bin with a cup of water and a lightbulb. Not sure yet...one step at a time.

Top Bottom