What's new

My next DE Razor - Help Me Choose

It's that time of year again for me. Back in the market for another DE razor. I've bought and sold or gifted a few over the years but right now I have a Merkur 34C, Progress, Mergress, '13 R41. I will probably sell or donate the Progress since the Mergress is the same thing but better IMHO.

I've thought about something vintage such as a Fatboy - but if I go in this direction, I would want it to be pristine and thus far haven't been able to find one that way. Another possibility is Walbusch B5, an adjustable slant but I can't seem to find one of these anywhere. The Wolfman is another possibility as is the Roedter Titan.

What does everyone recommend and why? Don't limit yourselves to my list.

If you want a pristine Fatboy...........buy one and have it refurbished back to new.
Razorplate.com restores them.

For something different, think about something open comb or slant. I enjoy my Ikon 101 OC combo and my Razorock Stealth Slant as occasional changes of pace from my daily driver Mergress. Both the Ikon and Razorock are quite mild

Gillette New Standard is my vote. I've got one that was made in 1922. Just something about shaving with an AWESOME looking razor that's almost 100 years old...

NOS Vintage Gillettes are all over the auction sites. I just picked up a NOS Gillette Knack with the wrap and all parts intact. Cost me $20 on one of the auction sites. I see Super Speed's, Slim's, Fatboys, Tech's, Super Adjustables, just about all of them from $15 up to several hundreds. They aren't very hard to come by if your willing to spend the extra funds. But if your set on a Fatboy I recommend getting one that is mechanically sound and in good working order and have it plated for around $50 and have yourself a brand new vintage Gillette for less money than buying one in NOS condition. I did that with a short comb NEW and now have a pristeen SC NEW that I use regularly for less than the cost of most new razors.

using a NOS razor is somewhat frowned upon by purist. But with the Knack, Super Speed, and Tech there are so many of them out there that using a NOS one of them is really no big deal in my opinion.

YMMV! :thumbup1:

NOS Vintage Gillettes are all over the auction sites. I just picked up a NOS Gillette Knack with the wrap and all parts intact. Cost me $20 on one of the auction sites. I see Super Speed's, Slim's, Fatboys, Tech's, Super Adjustables, just about all of them from $15 up to several hundreds. They aren't very hard to come by if your willing to spend the extra funds. But if your set on a Fatboy I recommend getting one that is mechanically sound and in good working order and have it plated for around $50 and have yourself a brand new vintage Gillette for less money than buying one in NOS condition. I did that with a short comb NEW and now have a pristeen SC NEW that I use regularly for less than the cost of most new razors.

using a NOS razor is somewhat frowned upon by purist. But with the Knack, Super Speed, and Tech there are so many of them out there that using a NOS one of them is really no big deal in my opinion.

YMMV! :thumbup1:
Why are NOS razors frowned upon by purists? I would have thought they would object more readily to re-plating.

Why are NOS razors frowned upon by purists? I would have thought they would object more readily to re-plating.
Some think that if a razor has been surviving this many years without usage, it should stay in factory condition for display of how they were as new.

What's everybody's opinion on the best place to get a really good replated Fatboy? If I go this route, I would prefer a "one stop shop" where I can just buy the finished product rather than have to source the razor on an online auction site and then send it out somewhere else to be replated.

Check out Delta Razors, their replated slims and fatboys make want to get one (even though i sold mine long ago).

But! The Futur gets my vote. I own/owned many (Progress, weber, Tradere SB, most vintage Gillettes) and IMO the Futur is in a class of its own.

Check out Delta Razors, their replated slims and fatboys make want to get one (even though i sold mine long ago).

But! The Futur gets my vote. I own/owned many (Progress, weber, Tradere SB, most vintage Gillettes) and IMO the Futur is in a class of its own.
Do you mean Delta Echo Razors?

Top Bottom