What's new

My next brewing method (pourover...vacpot?)

I do have the KONE now, in fact - and I love it. It really does brew a great cup. The handful of times I've used it, I've not yet brewed a cup I didn't like. Finer grinds run slower/stronger, coarser grinds run faster/sweeter. I've got it down to where I can pour 100g of water in 15s, and at 60s start pouring an additional 100g/30s to reach full volume at 2:30 (400g). It's done dripping right at 3:00. Makes a little more than a full mug for me, which leaves most of the sediment in the bottom of the Chemex. Super!

Really nice cup, somewhere between a pour-over and a press pot. GREAT for single cups.

Sounds like folks like their KONE. Has anyone tried their similarly designed DISK... a stainless steel reusable filter designed for use in the AeroPress?

Sounds like folks like their KONE. Has anyone tried their similarly designed DISK... a stainless steel reusable filter designed for use in the AeroPress?

I have that as well - haven't yet dialed it in, but at the very least, it's preferable to the paper filters. I don't use it much, so the opportunities I have to experiment with variables are less. Right now, the best I've gotten was a 4 minute brew with coarse ground coffee (the "inverted" method - over dosed but with some bypass for volume/strength adjustment, 3:30 steep and :30 press). Works alright, but not as good as my pour-overs. Sweeter than I want. Need a finer grind and maybe less steep time.

I do have the KONE now, in fact - and I love it. It really does brew a great cup. The handful of times I've used it, I've not yet brewed a cup I didn't like. Finer grinds run slower/stronger, coarser grinds run faster/sweeter. I've got it down to where I can pour 100g of water in 15s, and at 60s start pouring an additional 100g/30s to reach full volume at 2:30 (400g). It's done dripping right at 3:00. Makes a little more than a full mug for me, which leaves most of the sediment in the bottom of the Chemex. Super!

Really nice cup, somewhere between a pour-over and a press pot. GREAT for single cups.

Very kewl! I guess I'll have to click on over to Amazon and decide whether or not to pull the trigger. :001_smile

I have a Kone and would like to add to this conversation a little bit.

The kone is great but you have to have a really good grinder that doesn't produce much in the way of fines, and you must have a goose neck kettle to pour out of. It requires a very delicate technique to get it right, and is actually MORE sensitive to pouring technique than the Hario. The problem is any deviation from pouring slowly over the center leads you to a cup of coffee with way too many fines and disrupts the whole surface tension that is assisting the brewing process.

If you are dedicated enough to really dial in your grind and measure temperature and dosing of coffee and water correctly than the kone is capable of producing a very delicious cup. If you aren't capable of these things you will walk away thinking the kone is "too similar to a press pot" to justify the expense.

Personally I think the Kone is great.

I have a Kone and would like to add to this conversation a little bit.

The kone is great but you have to have a really good grinder that doesn't produce much in the way of fines, and you must have a goose neck kettle to pour out of. It requires a very delicate technique to get it right, and is actually MORE sensitive to pouring technique than the Hario. The problem is any deviation from pouring slowly over the center leads you to a cup of coffee with way too many fines and disrupts the whole surface tension that is assisting the brewing process.

If you are dedicated enough to really dial in your grind and measure temperature and dosing of coffee and water correctly than the kone is capable of producing a very delicious cup. If you aren't capable of these things you will walk away thinking the kone is "too similar to a press pot" to justify the expense.

Personally I think the Kone is great.

It's a bit more particular than paper filters, sure. My worn out Breville burr grinder actually does a good enough job (though the Virtuoso does better). I did buy a Buono because it's the cheapest gooseneck to be had right now, though patience and practice can lead to good pours with other kettles. I managed it with my Breville One-Touch Teamaker actually, and not only is the spout "average" but it weighs a ton. I think the popularity of pour-over is going to lead to a cheaper gooseneck kettle (though if you don't mind spaceships, there's at least a couple of options)

However, this is a serious tool - good grinder and careful technique are required and rewarded.

Last edited:
... I think the popularity of pour-over is going to lead to a cheaper gooseneck kettle (though if you don't mind spaceships, there's at least a couple of options)

However, this is a serious tool - good grinder and careful technique are required and rewarded.

I'm sticking with the Kone but here's a budget flexible stainless mesh pseudo-Kone to go with the budget gooseneck kettle...not sure how it would stack up to the real thing but with careful technique it's probably a decent enough alternative for those who don't want to spend too much.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyks-oLIl78[/YOUTUBE]
Kaffeologie
http://www.kaffeologie.com/pourover
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Kaffeologie-Chemex-K250-Reuseable-Filter/dp/B004I7EUNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1301721539&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Top Bottom