What's new

my next bay rum (help would be appreciated)

Olah all!!!!

I've just about finished my bottle of PAA Booms Town Bay Rum, so that got my brain moving this morning as to what was going to be my next move for a new Bay Rum, below are what's on the list, any and all help and feedback as always would be appreciated!!!!!

PAA Captain Smyth's Reserve Oak Barrel Bay Rum
PAA Classico Bay Rum
PAA Cold Spices
Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Blackship Grooming Bay Rum
Razo Rock Black Bay

I'm not interested in making boot leggers, so we can just forgo that one.

I like

Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Captains Choice Cat O'Nine Tails
Ogallala Bay Rum

I've heard good things about PAA Atomic Bay Rum but haven't tried it myself. I'm sure @JCarr will chime in with some suggestions.

16191047312365245512341511799680.jpg

Olah all!!!!

I've just about finished my bottle of PAA Booms Town Bay Rum, so that got my brain moving this morning as to what was going to be my next move for a new Bay Rum, below are what's on the list, any and all help and feedback as always would be appreciated!!!!!

PAA Captain Smyth's Reserve Oak Barrel Bay Rum
PAA Classico Bay Rum
PAA Cold Spices
Captain's Choice Bay Rum
Blackship Grooming Bay Rum
Razo Rock Black Bay

I'm not interested in making boot leggers, so we can just forgo that one.
You don't have to make your own bootleggers, but you can buy some great ones from members here, like @OkieStubble.

In any case, I'd ask @JCarr. That's what I've done back then... there's a post somewhere, but I don't have the link. Perhaps try searching the forums.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Of the Bay Rum choices you listed:

PAA Captain Smyth's Reserve Oak Barrel Bay Rum - You will think you bought Boomtown Bay Rum again...no gunpowder, but leather is present like you were smacked in the mush by a pirate's belt.

PAA Classico Bay Rum - Good stuff. This is going to be sweeter to your nose than the Boomtown was.

PAA Cold Spices - This is not Bay Rum, but an Original Shulton Old Spice knockoff with menthol. I don't have this, but have had my eye on it for a while. Trust me...it's only a matter of time.

Captain's Choice Bay Rum - A very true, no nonsense Bay Rum. Won't have a lot of complexity, but it is very true to the actual Bay Rum scent. At first I didn't care for this...but it grew on me and now I would never want to be without a bottle of it.

Blackship Grooming Bay Rum - Blackship Grooming has two Bay Rums to my knowledge, but they're both heavily scented with something else. Black Beard is a very lime heavy Bay Rum. And their Tenth Anniversary is a pineapple Bay Rum. You'll get more lime and pineapple than you will Bay in these products. I use both of these in the warmer Spring and Summer months. Both of these are mentholated.

RazoRock Black Bay - This is a very different Bay Rum product...almost medicinal in its scent. I purchased it and PIF'ed it, but never used it. I did smell the soap though before I mailed it out. Interesting stuff, but very, very different.

So...Boomtown has legs...you'll smell you put it on several hours later. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements is good that way...no pulling punches. Of those you listed, I would consider Captain's Choice Bay Rum and PAA Classico. If you want a Bay Rum that's heavy lime or pineapple, Black Ship Grooming is the way to go. Don't forget though...Black Ship is mentholated.

So...now that I hit what you listed...here are a few choices you didn't list that are worth considering:

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum - It's like their Classico on Bay Rum steroids.
Wet Shaving Products Bay Rum - It has a mild lime note, but the lime does not overwhelm the Bay. Well done.
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum - Not sure if they're offering this in an alcohol-based splash anymore, but it happens to be one of my favorite Bay Rum aftershaves. Enough said there.
Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave (Extra Strength) - Like @cryhavoc and @Old School TSD said above. I happen to love the smell of this stuff...it's unique.

If you like mentholated aftershave, there are two Bay Rum splashes that come to mind...both are very good.
Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny - Bay Rum...heavy on the rum and black tea! Yo Ho Ho!
Chiseled Face Bay Rum - Well blended with a touch of lime. You'll smell the rum in this one.

And as you'll more than likely see as this thread grows...there are so many. A day without Bay Rum is like a day without sunshine.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I don't know any on your list. I like really cheap barber shop bay rums but I also splurge on one product. I buy Stephan Bay Rum by the liter, and I buy the pint size bottle of Gabels. I could bathe in Stephans. It is that good. I also always have a Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum on the shelf, though it is more of a clove scent than a bay leaf oil scent. Finally, I always have an 8oz naggin of St Johns Virgin Island Bay Rum on hand because to my mind nothing compares to it.

Of the Bay Rum choices you listed:

PAA Captain Smyth's Reserve Oak Barrel Bay Rum - You will think you bought Boomtown Bay Rum again...no gunpowder, but leather is present like you were smacked in the mush by a pirate's belt.

PAA Classico Bay Rum - Good stuff. This is going to be sweeter to your nose than the Boomtown was.

PAA Cold Spices - This is not Bay Rum, but an Original Shulton Old Spice knockoff with menthol. I don't have this, but have had my eye on it for a while. Trust me...it's only a matter of time.

Captain's Choice Bay Rum - A very true, no nonsense Bay Rum. Won't have a lot of complexity, but it is very true to the actual Bay Rum scent. At first I didn't care for this...but it grew on me and now I would never want to be without a bottle of it.

Blackship Grooming Bay Rum - Blackship Grooming has two Bay Rums to my knowledge, but they're both heavily scented with something else. Black Beard is a very lime heavy Bay Rum. And their Tenth Anniversary is a pineapple Bay Rum. You'll get more lime and pineapple than you will Bay in these products. I use both of these in the warmer Spring and Summer months. Both of these are mentholated.

RazoRock Black Bay - This is a very different Bay Rum product...almost medicinal in its scent. I purchased it and PIF'ed it, but never used it. I did smell the soap though before I mailed it out. Interesting stuff, but very, very different.

So...Boomtown has legs...you'll smell you put it on several hours later. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements is good that way...no pulling punches. Of those you listed, I would consider Captain's Choice Bay Rum and PAA Classico. If you want a Bay Rum that's heavy lime or pineapple, Black Ship Grooming is the way to go. Don't forget though...Black Ship is mentholated.

So...now that I hit what you listed...here are a few choices you didn't list that are worth considering:

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum - It's like their Classico on Bay Rum steroids.
Wet Shaving Products Bay Rum - It has a mild lime note, but the lime does not overwhelm the Bay. Well done.
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum - Not sure if they're offering this in an alcohol-based splash anymore, but it happens to be one of my favorite Bay Rum aftershaves. Enough said there.
Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave (Extra Strength) - Like @cryhavoc and @Old School TSD said above. I happen to love the smell of this stuff...it's unique.

If you like mentholated aftershave, there are two Bay Rum splashes that come to mind...both are very good.
Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny - Bay Rum...heavy on the rum and black tea! Yo Ho Ho!
Chiseled Face Bay Rum - Well blended with a touch of lime. You'll smell the rum in this one.

And as you'll more than likely see as this thread grows...there are so many. A day without Bay Rum is like a day without sunshine.

That's a list.......BINGO!!!!

As a side note, I forgot to mention I have used up a bottle of PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum it was the second Bay Rum I have had since I had a bottle of the Clubman VIBR.

I want to try another brand I'm thinking, take a break from the PAA line, but I know what I'm getting with PAA line and I seem to really like their bay rums. The Tombstone was also intriguing, however it's not listed as a Bay Rum, but it has alot of what I like in a "Bay Rum" style aftershave.

The Captains Choice might be something I pull the trigger on.

Another agreement about B&M. Tallow + Steel's Indian Bay is an absolute favorite of mine but was a "limited edition" and completely unavailable now -- folks ask for it a lot on BST boards. Hoping T+S brings it back.

I don't know about you but I've just bought my first bay rum soap and have no idea if I'll like it or not. At my barber, they sell this massive bottle of lucky tiger bayrum (I mean absolutely huge) for like $10. Ridiculous value for money. Though, I doubt it is anything other than alcohol, water, fragrance and maybe some kind of oil. It is truly massive though. Like easily over half a liter. They also have this blue one which I assume is just the 'cold' scented one.

Great coverage by the previous posts: however, , a few more are worthy of consideration- my rank order follows.....

Mystic Water Bay Rum
Stirling Bay Rum
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum
Sir Henry's Bay Rum
Turtleship Bay Rum

Great variants on the theme :
Grooming Department Lemon Bay
Grooming Department Mandarin Bay

No rank sort of post shave below:
Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve AFS
Royall Bay Rhum AFS
PAA Atomic Bay Rum AFS
Sir Henry's AFS, ASB

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

my vote, for best bay rum...

View attachment 1255532
Good point @sarimento1, as this is a true "Bay Rum" scents.

That is, if legends of sailors creating this fragrance by putting bay leaves in rum are to be believed.

It literally contains no other fragrance but oil extracted from bay tree leaves and caramel (this one giving it the "rum" component when mixed with alcohol). It's a good quality product, as all TOBS offerings, with added Castor oil for skin treatment.

I think it's fair to say this one is THE bay rum scent, everything else is "Bay Rummish". When I think about it, it might as well be the very first commercially offered bay rum scent, given the TOBS's long history. Would be interested if someone more knowledgeable could chime in on this. Was it TOBS or DRH to first offer bay rum? Or some other (presumably English) brand...?

Top Bottom