What's new

My newbie mind is officially blown

Good choice on the brush. Just saw this today - my first brush was that 2006c. Doing it over again with the same budget, I def wouldn't have gotten that brush (good price, just way too scritchy) and would have gone Semogue. You should be able to enjoy the 1800 for a long while.

I'm stoked to hear so many people hyping up this brush! That was the only item in my shopping cart that I was unsure about... I was concerned that I may have been sacrificing quality for price. Really looking forward to trying it out :thumbup1:

I received email confirmation from WCS that my order shipped yesterday and should arrive Friday :clap:

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B and enjoy the choices you've made. There's tons of info and folks that can help if you run into a question you answered, so don't . Have fun and enjoy!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A sampler pack is a great idea, but initially you should stick to one blade brand/type, as you nail the basics of shave technique. THEN have fun with your sampler, and find the blade that is best for you. You really can't judge them well, while still learning to shave.

A badger brush can be had cheaply enough from www.whippeddog.com that there is no need to start with a boar. If you like the scritchiness, go with a black or a pure badger. If you want something softer, try a silvertip. Or a best/finest. A boar is okay, once it is broke in, generally, but a badger will hold more soap and water, and to me, feels better on my face. YMMV cause there are some die hard boar fans on the board and you could be one of them and just not know it yet. Nevertheless, try one of Larry's budget badgers first, I suggest. The Vulfix 2006C Pure that you are considering is also a pretty good choice, but you can maybe have a bigger brush from Larry... I didn't know Vulfix had a badger that cheap. The Pure certainly doesn't feel anything at all like a silvertip but it will work well with soaps.

The DEs you mention are pretty good choices but do consider a vintage Gillette adjustable. You can never outgrow it. It can be mild as a toy or as medieval as a chain saw, depending on the setting. You have basically 9 razors in one. You can customize it to suit you and just leave it on your favorite setting, or change it for different directions or different blades. BUT... as with the blade sampler, don't fiddle with it while you are still learning to shave. Just set it on maybe "2" and leave it alone for the first couple of weeks. Any of the adjustables will work and I used to not like the black handle, but I now think of the long handled Super Adjustable as probably the best newbie adjustable. Plus they are usually cheaper than a Fatboy or a Slim.

Try VDH before paying more than a couple of bucks for a soap. You might like it, and if you don't, you have only wasted about a buck and a half. Another one to look for is Godrej cream, in the tube, from your local Indian or Pakistani grocery. Godrej is absolutely my favorite. When I am overseas I get it for less than a buck. Even in the U.S. it should only be $3-$4.

The fact is, if you stick with popular brands and styles, you are gonna have an adequate kit. Stick with what you get for a couple of weeks and get your shave on. Then and only then, think about trying different stuff.

Arrr! This is too tempting! I just received my kit from WCS...at work. Sitting here in my office chair checking out my swag, knowing that I can't play with it for several more hours. Everything looks great though! Can't wait to get home and give this a shot. First shave, T minus 7 hours 32 minutes...:thumbup:

Arrr! This is too tempting! I just received my kit from WCS...at work. Sitting here in my office chair checking out my swag, knowing that I can't play with it for several more hours. Everything looks great though! Can't wait to get home and give this a shot. First shave, T minus 7 hours 32 minutes...:thumbup:

Woot!!! Not to mention you have the entire weekend to soak it all up...dozens of practice lathers...definite shaving bliss

Don't forget to de-funk your brush if it smells a little (which is normal)

Patience, my friend! You've waited your whole life, a few more hours is nothing... Just remember to take your time, use NO PRESSURE and the proper angle, and enjoy the first shave of the rest of your life!!:thumbup:

Let us all know how it went, and happy shaving!

Tick-tock... I could use one last piece of advice before I jump in... I have a tube of Green Proraso, a bowl of TOBS sandalwood creme, and a block of Col Conk Amber (I didn't know I was getting that, must've come free with my scuttle.) Any suggestions which would be the most forgiving for my first attempt?

I'd recommend either the Proraso (if you'd like a cooling menthol sensation) or the TOBS Sandalwood (if not). Either will give you gobs of great lather pretty easily, but I'd give the race to the Proraso, by a nose.

Alright! Just broke the seal! :biggrin1:

Now for the after-action report... I went with the Proraso, which is pretty amazing stuff. Good call, gents! By and large, things went really well for a first volley. Everything above the jaw-line was smooth sailing and I don't think I've ever had such good shave on my face. Below the jawline, little different story. It's not bad, but not as good as I could do quickly with my old Mach 3. It's going to take a little practice to figure out the best way to clean up the lowers. Actually, the whole jaw feels pretty slick, it's more like the angle where the top of my neck meets my jaw is where I started running into trouble. It's like I couldn't get the surface of my skin "flat" enough and the skin on my neck wouldn't pull tight enough, if that makes any sense. I definitely feel like this is something that I can get the hang of and enjoy though. Just going to take a little practice.

For a first attempt, I think my lather was pretty decent. Maybe a little wetter would've better a little better, but it was nice and foamy. The Semagoe 1800 handled great, and the EJ felt pretty comfortable in my hand.

Proud to report only minimal blood loss! Had one little nick (again, in that jaw/neck intersection...) but just a drop or two. I followed up with the alum and used the Proraso Pre/Post before and after shaving. I don't have a comparison, but I do think the Pre/Post was a nice way to prep. I'm probably going to need to find something a little more soothing for an aftershave though. Mild red-bumpage going on along my neck. I suppose once I get the hang of how to shave that area correctly, that won't be an issue, but I think I may go ahead and try to find something that suits me better for a finishing move than the Proraso Pre/Post.

The only thing that I would consider a big newbie blunder was right out of the gate. I got all lathered up and made a couple of passes WTG and I was reducing absolutely zero beard. :confused1
This went on for a good minute or so, and I am just getting confused. I got on the internet to troubleshoot, and after a little looking around I realized that I had put the baseplate on upside-down when I loaded my blade! Ahhh... Rookie mistake :facep:

All in all, great experience! Having a lot fun with it and looking forward to honing my skills!

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are great bunch of lunatics :thumbup:

Excellent news! Don't be afraid to do a handful of practice lathers between now and when you shave again....don't worry, it's normal, I promise. :biggrin1:

Do try and post a pic of your lather sometime...if it's "foamy" or has small bubbles in it, you might be under-loading your brush, believe it or not. Don't be afraid to use more product!

As for a post-shave routine...Go to your local drug store and pick up some generic witch hazel and some Nivea or Neutragena balm....or, if you're brave enough for an alcohol splash, get some Pinaud Clubman. The WH, especially, is a great product for calming irritated skin...hold your breath though, it can be a little stinky. Brace for the alcohol in the Clubman, you might have a few "Home Alone" moments ahead of you if you're not used to a alcohol-based AS.

Have fun!

Congrats on the great kit and successful first attempt. It's normal for jawline and neck to be challenging at first. The shaves will get better with time and practice. Take your time and enjoy the learning curve.

Alright! Just broke the seal! :biggrin1:

Now for the after-action report... I went with the Proraso, which is pretty amazing stuff. Good call, gents! By and large, things went really well for a first volley. Everything above the jaw-line was smooth sailing and I don't think I've ever had such good shave on my face. Below the jawline, little different story. It's not bad, but not as good as I could do quickly with my old Mach 3. It's going to take a little practice to figure out the best way to clean up the lowers. Actually, the whole jaw feels pretty slick, it's more like the angle where the top of my neck meets my jaw is where I started running into trouble. It's like I couldn't get the surface of my skin "flat" enough and the skin on my neck wouldn't pull tight enough, if that makes any sense. I definitely feel like this is something that I can get the hang of and enjoy though. Just going to take a little practice.

For a first attempt, I think my lather was pretty decent. Maybe a little wetter would've better a little better, but it was nice and foamy. The Semagoe 1800 handled great, and the EJ felt pretty comfortable in my hand.

Proud to report only minimal blood loss! Had one little nick (again, in that jaw/neck intersection...) but just a drop or two. I followed up with the alum and used the Proraso Pre/Post before and after shaving. I don't have a comparison, but I do think the Pre/Post was a nice way to prep. I'm probably going to need to find something a little more soothing for an aftershave though. Mild red-bumpage going on along my neck. I suppose once I get the hang of how to shave that area correctly, that won't be an issue, but I think I may go ahead and try to find something that suits me better for a finishing move than the Proraso Pre/Post.

The only thing that I would consider a big newbie blunder was right out of the gate. I got all lathered up and made a couple of passes WTG and I was reducing absolutely zero beard. :confused1
This went on for a good minute or so, and I am just getting confused. I got on the internet to troubleshoot, and after a little looking around I realized that I had put the baseplate on upside-down when I loaded my blade! Ahhh... Rookie mistake :facep:

All in all, great experience! Having a lot fun with it and looking forward to honing my skills!

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are great bunch of lunatics :thumbup:
Depending on your commitment to wetshaving, gaining enough weight to round out your jawline will take care of those pesky nicks on your bony jaw. Eat more bacon and you'll be fine:biggrin1:

Depending on your commitment to wetshaving, gaining enough weight to round out your jawline will take care of those pesky nicks on your bony jaw. Eat more bacon and you'll be fine:biggrin1:
Don't tempt me! I do love me some bacon! :a23: Does TOBS or Conk make a bacon scented aftershave? That would be totally bitchin' and amazing!

Tick-tock... I could use one last piece of advice before I jump in... I have a tube of Green Proraso, a bowl of TOBS sandalwood creme, and a block of Col Conk Amber (I didn't know I was getting that, must've come free with my scuttle.) Any suggestions which would be the most forgiving for my first attempt?

Proraso Green is very good (I have a tube here as well).

May I recommend Palmolive Classic creme? It is just as good as Proraso (but without the menthol), and incredibly inexpensive!

Don't tempt me! I do love me some bacon! :a23: Does TOBS or Conk make a bacon scented aftershave? That would be totally bitchin' and amazing!
http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=433 <-- enjoy man :w00t:

Alright! Just broke the seal! :biggrin1: CONGRATS! AMAZING ISNT IT?!

This went on for a good minute or so, and I am just getting confused. I got on the internet to troubleshoot, and after a little looking around I realized that I had put the baseplate on upside-down when I loaded my blade! Ahhh... Rookie mistake :facep:<-----:lol: LOL!!!!

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are great bunch of lunatics :thumbup: <---:letterk1:

Top Bottom