What's new

My newbie mind is officially blown

Great choices!

As far as alum, it really serves a number of purposes - an antiseptic and toner, will stop any nicks from bleeding. Also, alum serves as a feedback mechanism as well. If it really stings, you probably used too much pressure while shaving. Slight or no sting = great shaving technique. Remember, after you shave rinse with cold water, apply alum, rinse again after a few minutes, then apply your balm.

All of us here live vicariously and know you will enjoy your shaving stuff and new hobby.

+1 the alum is my gauge for how much of a noob I am on a given day. Also, stops the bleeding quite nicely.

Also, nice guy sending out a shaving stand :wink2:

Out of curiosity, which Semogue did you go with?

This is the one I decided to start with
proxy.php
SB-SEM-1800 Semogue 1800 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush

Mendel had recommended the Semogue 1305, but I didn't see it listed on WestCoastShaving when I loaded my cart. I'm kind of a one-stop shopper, and I figured for my first brush this was probably close enough. I'm sure it won't end up being my only brush. I'm curious to try out some others, but I thought this would be a good one to get my feet wet with. I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a chance to try it out. Hopefully my kit will arrive in the next few days.

Hey guys,

I had no idea that there was such a cult of shaving fanatics out there! I just today decided that I wanted to start wet shaving and thought that the Interwebs might be a good place to find some information. Little did I realize........

You can find all kinds of weird stuff on that thar internet thingie.....

Nice! When I started, I ordered a Semogue 1520 (this one) but if I had it to do over again, I'd get the 1800. Boar bristle has different grades...just like badger, but much more subtle differences....and while I like the scrubby factor of the 1520 and its "Extra" 75% tops, the 1800 has some "Premium" 90% tops mixed in, so it's a step up and a little softer.

(BTW, the measurement "% tops" just tells you what percentage of the hairs are of the same size...higher %, more uniform length....the chart in this link provides a good break down of the different boar grades, if you're curious.)

Hope you enjoy your shave journey!

This is the one I decided to start with
proxy.php
SB-SEM-1800 Semogue 1800 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush

Mendel had recommended the Semogue 1305, but I didn't see it listed on WestCoastShaving when I loaded my cart. I'm kind of a one-stop shopper, and I figured for my first brush this was probably close enough. I'm sure it won't end up being my only brush. I'm curious to try out some others, but I thought this would be a good one to get my feet wet with. I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a chance to try it out. Hopefully my kit will arrive in the next few days.

Glad to hear it! I wasn't entirely sure about the purchase, but I figured it was a good entry level brush. Sounds like it may have ended up being a good choice :thumbup1:

Sounds like you're off to a great start already. I caught your "get up in the morning" idea and wanted to float out a bit of my own recent experience. With a Mach 3, I would shave in the shower in the morning, and by evening, would definitely be showing whiskers. A week after starting DE shaving, my wife confirmed my own thoughts that I didn't look like I had whiskers when I got home from work. I now find that I can shave before I go to bed, and still look just fine the next evening, better than I was looking using the Mach 3! Just a thought...

Good to know! My gear is in transit, so this morning I had to continue with my Mach 3. I did, however, get to ceremoniously insert my last remaining cartridge, so that was a plus! Already feeling like sandpaper this evening. Can't wait to get this show on the road :biggrin1:

Just remember that a boar brush will be a bit scritchy at first until it breaks in. Ultimately, the bristle tips will split after 15 or so shaves. This is what it is supposed to do. Then, the tops will be soft but the boar brush will still have backbone making it quite versatile for soaps and creams.

Just remember that a boar brush will be a bit scritchy at first until it breaks in. Ultimately, the bristle tips will split after 15 or so shaves. This is what it is supposed to do. Then, the tops will be soft but the boar brush will still have backbone making it quite versatile for soaps and creams.

Will keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up. It's going to be temping to try and hurry that process along by just brushing stuff for no good reason, but I imagine it's probably best to just let the process happen organically.

* Sampler pack of various blades for trial and error Samplers are fine, but for at least your first month of daily shaves, I would stick to one setup, changing nothing at all. Your technique needs to develop, and switching blades will only make it harder for you to progress.

I will definitely have to agree with Wingnut here. Stick to one blade to get your technique down pat. I went through just about every razor in the sample packs and finally found that Astra SP's have been my daily blade. I have an EJ DE89L (first DE razor) and love it. Like most everyone on here has replied to your questions, everything you have chosen seems to be great choices. Start with a cream rather than a soap, easier to get that good lather. I've been using Proraso Red and LOVE the smell and lather I get from it. I've heard amazing things about TOBS Sandalwood and have been wanting to try it. As far as Badger vs. Boar, I don't see a huge deal when starting out. As long as you're using a shave brush, it will help massage your face and get those whiskers to stand up. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

Stick to one blade to get your technique down pat. I went through just about every razor in the sample packs and finally found that Astra SP's have been my daily blade.

That's the direction I'm heading at the moment. I ordered a 100 count of the Astra SP's, but I couldn't resist getting a little 5 pack of Feathers. From the convo I've seen around here it seems like they are about the most "aggressive" blade out there. More of an exercise in curiosity than anything. I definitely won't get into them anytime soon, but I had to see what the deep end of the pool looks like :laugh:

Welcome to B&B, it seems you are off to a good start. Astra's and the ej89 is a good choice. TOBS works very well for me. I actually like the B&B boar brush I got from WCS. I used alum at first, but now use witch hazel, have fun with it.

Hi rbimyda,

Welcome to Badger & Blade and I totally empathize with your feelings when I first discovered B&B and the world of traditional shaving as well! :biggrin1: It's pretty amazing and I can tell you, I've never had better shaves in my life, and I *love* shaving each and every time now! :thumbup: (I, too, came from decades of using the Mach 3. I knew no better! :( Heh.

+1 excellent first choices! Can't go wrong with any of those selections. And beware of the ADs! :lol:

In all seriousness, welcome to B&B you'll love it here :thumbup:

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the pointers. I just finished up my shopping (for now...) and should have a respectable kit arriving soon! It's strangely euphoric, sort of like an addiction that doesn't quite have it's teeth sunk in yet :lol:

I took a bit advice from everyone and I think I came up with a good jumping-off point. Decided on the Edwin Jagger DE89, and I went with the Barley Chrome. I just thought that finish looked too badass to pass up, plus it seems like the knurling will be easier to hold when wet. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I thought it was a plus. We'll see about that. Starting out with Astra SP's and a Semogue boar bristle for now. I had the impression badger was always better, but I'm getting the idea that there is a lot of personal preference involved. I'm hoping I get lucky and learn that the cheaper option suits me! Added in a tube of Proraso Menthol Eucalyptus Cream as well as their Pre/Post Balm, and also TOBS Sandalwood creme so I can have a couple options. Also picked up an alum block, but I'm really not sure what the purpose of that is... Lastly, taking a tip from another thread, I threw in a small but heavy ceramic shave cup. I like the idea of letting the cup heat up in a water bath before making up my lather. Sounds steamy...

At the end of the day, I didn't quite stay under my $100 budget but I didn't overshoot it by much. I think it's all going to prove to be a worthwhile investment. I'll send up a status report after I get a chance to try it out!

The Feathers aren't as scary as they sound. My first-ever DE shave was with a borrowed Merkur 34C and a brand-new Feather. No blood that a cold-water rinse didn't stop and a decent shave.

Top Bottom