What's new

My newbie mind is officially blown

Hey guys,

I had no idea that there was such a cult of shaving fanatics out there! I just today decided that I wanted to start wet shaving and thought that the Interwebs might be a good place to find some information. Little did I realize how late to the party I was! I have been using Mach 3's as long as I can remember (34 years old now) and I think it's about time I started shaving like a man. I do need to shave daily for work and I am not much of a morning person, so my logic is that if I can treat myself to a little simple pleasure first thing in the morning it may make getting out of bed a little more appealing!

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, so I'll apologize in advance if I am spamming a topic but the idea of browsing through 1477 pages of noob-related posts is pretty daunting...

I'd appreciate a little advice putting together my first kit. I'm sure over time I'll learn through experience what works for me, but I could use some help getting my feet wet. It seems like this hobby can quickly evolve (or devolve?) into a money pit, so I am giving myself roughly $100 budget to put together my starter set. Does anyone have suggestions on the "best" kit I can put together while staying under (or at least very near) that financial ceiling? I am looking for suggestions, but I am considering something like:

* Merkur 1904, Jagger DE89, or Parker 99 (pros/cons?)
* Vulfix 2006C Pure Badger Shaving Brush (only chose this because it was inexpensive at $25. Would be willing to upgrade this idea if there is a huge performance difference in a $25 vs $50 brush)
* Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Creme, Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Cream, or Colonel Konk Bay Rum Shaving Soap (creme seems to make more sense than soap, but I don't know...)
* Sampler pack of various blades for trial and error
* Aftershave balm (same variety as whichever soap/cream I decide to try first)

Any and all of the above selections are pure speculation made with no knowledge at all about what I am doing, so suggestions and amendments to the list are most welcomed!
I don't want to need to shave, I want to want to shave :biggrin1:

Thanks all, and I hope you're having fun out there!

Hi rbimyda, welcome to B&B!

Congratulations on your decision to see what traditional wet-shaving is all about. It's a decision you will never regret! :thumbup:

Here are
my thoughts on your possible choices (nice research, BTW:thumbup1:--you're pretty much spot-on!)

* Merkur 1904, Jagger DE89, or Parker 99 (pros/cons?)
I usually suggest the Edwin Jagger DE89 because it's a well-made and relatively inexpensive razor that just might be all the razor you'll ever need. I have no personal experience with the Parker or the 1904, but they're all good choices for beginners.
* Vulfix 2006C Pure Badger Shaving Brush (only chose this because it was inexpensive at $25. Would be willing to upgrade this idea if there is a huge performance difference in a $25 vs $50 brush) If you're budget-limited, give a good quality boar brush a try. You can get a fine boar for around $20.00 that will blow just about any badger costing three times as much out of the water once it's broken in. If you MUST have a badger brush, head over to Whipped Dog (http://www.whippeddog.com/products/find/brushes-knots) for great prices on some quality badger brushes.
* Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Creme, Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus Cream, or Colonel Konk Bay Rum Shaving Soap (creme seems to make more sense than soap, but I don't know...)
Any of these are good, but I would suggets either the Taylor or Proraso, since they're both very easy to get a good lather from, even if you're not an expert.
* Sampler pack of various blades for trial and error Samplers are fine, but for at least your first month of daily shaves, I would stick to one setup, changing nothing at all. Your technique needs to develop, and switching blades will only make it harder for you to progress. Get a sampler pack if you'd like, but also have them throw in 10-20 middle-of-the-road blades (Astra SP's work well) and shave through those before trying anything else.
* Aftershave balm (same variety as whichever soap/cream I decide to try first) Whatever floats your boat, but do use something. Get a styptic pencil as well, since you're going to nick yourself as you learn and this will stop the bleeding immediately.

When you get a chance, please head over to our Hall of Fame (located within the Shave Clinic) and tell us all a bit more about yourself. There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to beginning shavers--perhaps you might like to have a look at them as well. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B. the Merkur and EJ DE89 are both excellent razors. The blade sampler is a good idea. And the creams you have selected are all good quality. Enjoy!

I do need to shave daily for work and I am not much of a morning person, so my logic is that if I can treat myself to a little simple pleasure first thing in the morning it may make getting out of bed a little more appealing!

This turned out to be the main appeal for me and I really didn't expect to enjoy it. I just didn't want to hate shaving any longer and I was sick of the irritation.

Honestly, all of your gear choices will get the ball rolling.
- I favor the Merkur and EJ razors over Parker.
- TOBS & Proraso (variety is a good thing and menthol is great in warmer weather)

Welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

Hey welcome, check out connaughtshaving.com for some wicked sample packs. Also the Merkur 1904 is a great razor.. I would personally opt for the 34C instead as the handle is a bit thicker and heavier and has a nicer feel, but it's the same head as the 1904. I can't attest to the Parker or EJ. I started w/ a 34C and even after collecting another 8 or so I still view it as one of the best.

All your other selections sound reasonable. Proraso is great if you enjoy cold menthol feel, I personally don't. You might also consider Speick or Palmolive creams which I find very easy to lather and are nice scents w/ minimal ingredients. I think w/ a $100 budget you can easily put together a nice starter kit. You might consider upgrading your brush at some point if it's something you'll stick with.

I would just about suggest what I had done 1 month ago after I had been shaving with Mach 3 and the like since I was 16 (I'm 31 now).
I went to my local Pharmacy and picked up a Van Der Hagen premium set that looks like this for $9.99. Good soap! Good bowl. Nice starter brush.
$300.jpg
I found a pretty nice and inexpensive "Shaving Factory" one piece twist-to-open DE razor at a local beauty salon for $20. (had no isea where to get one besides online so I drove all over God's creation until I found one). You might want to try out B&B Shaving mall Buy/Sell/Trade http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/11-Shaving-Mall-Buy-Sell-Trade

I got a Westcoastshaving.com Sample pack of blades: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DE-Blade-Sampler-Pack-Extended_p_11.html.

Now I am already into straight razor shaving after getting my first shave ready straight and leather strop and balsa strop from http://www.whippeddog.com/

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, seems like a great little community around here! It'll be a few days before I can give any feedback, not many shopping options out here in the boondocks so I'll have to mail order my all my gear. I always prefer to see/hold something before I make a purchase, but since that is not an option for me all the tips from you guys are greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum, Gillette superspeed, astras and some nivea sensitive balm and some barbasol original as. That's the route I would go, and I pretty much did.

Hello and welcome.

At the end of my 32nd year I was also hit square in the face by the depth of this shaving lifestyle.

The EJ razor has many loyal followers but I started with the Merkur 180. They seem about the same so either should work.

I still use my $9 boar brush from West Coast Shaving alongside my most expensive badgers. It is an Omega that serves me well and will give you a solid understanding of brush basics as you grow.

TOBS sandalwood is great and has a permanent spot in my rotation. I used the Proraso Green for the first time today and it blew me away. Either are a fine choice.

I never did blade samplers packs. If I had to redo my first purchase I would order a small pack of Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, and Gillette 7 o'clock Blacks or Yellows. No need to rush into Feathers until you're confident in your process and technique.

Aftershaves, oh damn you to hell aftershaves. I have so many and I love them all. I'd just start local and cheap just to get your feet wet. Aqua Velva Ice Blue or Musk are great. Pinaud Clubman and Old Spice are also cheap and readily available.

Good luck on the journey,

JVW

Here's my two cents:

Razor: EJ 89 with either lined or barley chrome handle. An outstanding razor with an excellent chrome job.
Brush: Consider an affordable Semogue 1305 boar brush. Once it breaks in (after 15 shaves or so) you will love it! Very versatile.
Blades: Sampler packs are a great idea but often have blades that simply suck. At the end of the day, the following blades get a lot of love here: Astra SP, Personna labs/meds, Polsilver Super Iridiums, Gillette 7 o'clock yellows and/or blacks, Feather
Shave Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street makes wonderful stuff. I personally enjoy their Mr. Taylor and their new Grapefruit.
After Shave Balm: For a matching scent, consider Taylor of Old Bond Street. Or consider Proraso (white bottle). It's a great value and smells great.
I would also recommend an alum block or stick. Consider bloc osma or Razorock. After shaving I rinse with cold water, apply my alum, rinse with cold water after a few minutes then apply my balm.

Erm....Wingnut nailed everything.

Egads.

(If useful as marginal reinforcement at best...I'd really get a TOBS cream to start with.....Top-shelf quality, easily attainable, reasonably priced and they smell famtastic! I Started with the EJ razor you mentioned and loved it..... Ymmv.)

Welcome. A lot of stuff is personal preference / trial and error so enjoy the journey, good prep and taking your time go a long way. I highly recommend Baxter of California Aftershave Balm it made a lot of bad early shaves end nicely for me.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the pointers. I just finished up my shopping (for now...) and should have a respectable kit arriving soon! It's strangely euphoric, sort of like an addiction that doesn't quite have it's teeth sunk in yet :lol:

I took a bit advice from everyone and I think I came up with a good jumping-off point. Decided on the Edwin Jagger DE89, and I went with the Barley Chrome. I just thought that finish looked too badass to pass up, plus it seems like the knurling will be easier to hold when wet. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I thought it was a plus. We'll see about that. Starting out with Astra SP's and a Semogue boar bristle for now. I had the impression badger was always better, but I'm getting the idea that there is a lot of personal preference involved. I'm hoping I get lucky and learn that the cheaper option suits me! Added in a tube of Proraso Menthol Eucalyptus Cream as well as their Pre/Post Balm, and also TOBS Sandalwood creme so I can have a couple options. Also picked up an alum block, but I'm really not sure what the purpose of that is... Lastly, taking a tip from another thread, I threw in a small but heavy ceramic shave cup. I like the idea of letting the cup heat up in a water bath before making up my lather. Sounds steamy...

At the end of the day, I didn't quite stay under my $100 budget but I didn't overshoot it by much. I think it's all going to prove to be a worthwhile investment. I'll send up a status report after I get a chance to try it out!

Nice choices. This is a great starting point. I've been wetshaving for a year or so and the one lesson that is clear to me is that you will learn a lot once you just get going. That's the only way to understand what it's all about. Good on you for getting started and may it bring you years of enjoyment.

Here`s another vote for EJ 89 and Astra. I started with an EJ87 then moved up to the 89`s. Wish I had started with the Astra`s. I can't be much help on soap. Water is very soft here in Seattle, so everything lathers pretty easy. I love Mike`s and MWF, but some folks have trouble with MWF with harder water. I also wish I had started with Wingnut`s other suggestions...either a good yet inexpensive boar, or a Silvertip from Whipped Dog (I use both now.).
Good luck and welcome.

If I could start again, I'd buy:
an EJ DE89-lbl razor
a whipped dog silvertip brush in a resin handle
personna blues (labs?) blades
al's shaving soap-palermo scent (but i hear the TOBS works great, so that gets my vote off of your list)

That should get you set for quite some time, and if you can't figure out how to shave with the de89 and personna blues, then god help you.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the pointers. I just finished up my shopping (for now...) and should have a respectable kit arriving soon! It's strangely euphoric, sort of like an addiction that doesn't quite have it's teeth sunk in yet :lol:

I took a bit advice from everyone and I think I came up with a good jumping-off point. Decided on the Edwin Jagger DE89, and I went with the Barley Chrome. I just thought that finish looked too badass to pass up, plus it seems like the knurling will be easier to hold when wet. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I thought it was a plus. We'll see about that. Starting out with Astra SP's and a Semogue boar bristle for now. I had the impression badger was always better, but I'm getting the idea that there is a lot of personal preference involved. I'm hoping I get lucky and learn that the cheaper option suits me! Added in a tube of Proraso Menthol Eucalyptus Cream as well as their Pre/Post Balm, and also TOBS Sandalwood creme so I can have a couple options. Also picked up an alum block, but I'm really not sure what the purpose of that is... Lastly, taking a tip from another thread, I threw in a small but heavy ceramic shave cup. I like the idea of letting the cup heat up in a water bath before making up my lather. Sounds steamy...

At the end of the day, I didn't quite stay under my $100 budget but I didn't overshoot it by much. I think it's all going to prove to be a worthwhile investment. I'll send up a status report after I get a chance to try it out!

Great choices! If you are here in the U.S. I would like to send you an Omega brush/razor stand. Send me a PM with your name and address and I'll mail it out later today.

A boar brush will break in after 15 or so shaves by having the ends split, which it is supposed to do. The tips will then become soft and the brush will also provide you with some backbone.

As far as alum, it really serves a number of purposes - an antiseptic and toner, will stop any nicks from bleeding. Also, alum serves as a feedback mechanism as well. If it really stings, you probably used too much pressure while shaving. Slight or no sting = great shaving technique. Remember, after you shave rinse with cold water, apply alum, rinse again after a few minutes, then apply your balm.

All of us here live vicariously and know you will enjoy your shaving stuff and new hobby.

Top Bottom