What's new

My new Tony Miller arrived today !

proxy.php
[ /URL][/IMG
Can't wait to give it a try !

I miss the linen Tony use to offer, I have a FB with linen and it's very nice, you won't be unhappy with Tony's work.

I miss the linen Tony use to offer, I have a FB with linen and it's very nice, you won't be unhappy with Tony's work.
I never talked to him about it. I already knew he hasn't had that available for some time now. But i'm thinking of ordering a linen strop from over seas. I've never used one and i really want to try one.

Flax linen to me is super especiall
I never talked to him about it. I already knew he hasn't had that available for some time now. But i'm thinking of ordering a linen strop from over seas. I've never used one and i really want to try one.

Flax linen to me is the best to use on a JNAT edge, the cotton several makers use now for me at least only seems to knock an edge back from the keeness of a JNAT edge but does improve and maintain a coticule edge well plus I have never cared for the courseness of the cotton just don't like the feed back.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
+1 on Tony's old linen. I've tried lots of different secondary strops and the linen he used early on is my favorite. Torolfs would be a close second.

Last edited:
I've never been impressed by any coticule edges i've tried. My goto edge is a zulu off of my naniwa 12k. Never tried a jnat edge but hear they are plenty sharp. To keen can make for an uncomfortable shave without toning down. (Not sharp enough is what i felt about the coticule edges i tried). Sorry to digress. Yes i would like to try a flax linen at some point. That seems to be the goto of many in the know.

I've never been impressed by any coticule edges i've tried. My goto edge is a zulu off of my naniwa 12k. Never tried a jnat edge but hear they are plenty sharp. To keen can make for an uncomfortable shave without toning down. (Not sharp enough is what i felt about the coticule edges i tried). Sorry to digress. Yes i would like to try a flax linen at some point. That seems to be the goto of many in the know.

I find if an edge is to keen and leaves you with a burn you can tone it down stropping on linen/leather, sharp is easy sharp and smooth are hard, that's what my Mentor tells me all the time, for coticules what I have been doing is putting on my keeness smoothest JNAT edge and then do 40-60 light water only laps on the small LV Coti i have and under a loupe the JNAT edge is pretty much gone and leaves you with the wild coti scratch pattern but it's very smooth and pretty sharp.

That is a beautiful strop. I love my Plain Vanilla, and will be purchasing another as soon as I can.

I find if an edge is to keen and leaves you with a burn you can tone it down stropping on linen/leather, sharp is easy sharp and smooth are hard, that's what my Mentor tells me all the time, for coticules what I have been doing is putting on my keeness smoothest JNAT edge and then do 40-60 light water only laps on the small LV Coti i have and under a loupe the JNAT edge is pretty much gone and leaves you with the wild coti scratch pattern but it's very smooth and pretty sharp.

This is something I intend to try off of my Shobu. I get lovely edges moving from my coticule to finish on my Shobu. Time to see what the other way around is like; if I can take time off from my Arkansas'.

That is a beautiful strop. I love my Plain Vanilla, and will be purchasing another as soon as I can.

This is something I intend to try off of my Shobu. I get lovely edges moving from my coticule to finish on my Shobu. Time to see what the other way around is like; if I can take time off from my Arkansas'.

Mike,

You would be pleasantly surprised, there are alot of guys that love a coticule edge but i find it a tad to mellow so i do a JNAT edge and then knock it back with water only on the coticule and it still retains alot of the keeness from the JNAT but soft if that makes sense, i don't get that tad of roughness going ATG doing it this way, my facial hair even though light is pretty course so the edge has got to be pretty keen but on high grit synthetics like 16K and up i get a burn so a JNAT or JNAT/Coti combo is a happy medium.

My next will be a linen backing or strop. I need to try that out !

I really like my Tony Miller Linen strop that I got with my Spanish bridle. I actually use the linen and switch to my vanilla stop most of the time because I don't want to nick the Spanish bridle.

I really like my Tony Miller Linen strop that I got with my Spanish bridle. I actually use the linen and switch to my vanilla stop most of the time because I don't want to nick the Spanish bridle.
I'm not familiar with spanish bridle. Got any pics ? How does it compare to english bridle ?

I realize that this thread is for TM, but if you're looking to get a linen strop, check out Tomo Nagura on etsy. I think there are something like 3 different types on there. Personally, I really want a type 2 firehouse.

Also, the Spanish bridle is no longer available, but I can snap a shot when I get home.

also received a tony miller strop today, 2.5 incher.
really nice, very buttery, slick leather, fast on the draw.
great finish and workmanship.
seemed to work fine on first outing.

d.r. harris windsor morris forndran schulze tony miller tuesday april 11 2017.jpg

Top Bottom