What's new

My new strop...

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, but I have been reading the posts for a little over a week now and all the information posted has been a ton of help for me. The question I have here is about my new strop. Its a Illinois #827 and the leather side of the strop is sort of rough. Im not sure exactly how the surface is suppose to feel, but I was under the impression that it was suppose to be somewhat smooth and maybe even a little glossy in appearance. Does my strop need some sort of break in, or is this how it is suppose to be? I put a pretty decent layer of Mineral oil on it when I recieved it after being told by a friend that I should... was this a mistake?

-Billy

Billy said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, but I have been reading the posts for a little over a week now and all the information posted has been a ton of help for me. The question I have here is about my new strop. Its a Illinois #827 and the leather side of the strop is sort of rough. Im not sure exactly how the surface is suppose to feel, but I was under the impression that it was suppose to be somewhat smooth and maybe even a little glossy in appearance. Does my strop need some sort of break in, or is this how it is suppose to be? I put a pretty decent layer of Mineral oil on it when I recieved it after being told by a friend that I should... was this a mistake?

-Billy
not familiar with the Illinois strops but yes, I think strops are supposed to be smooth. My russian leather strop is top notch and also BBS. Are you saying the strop you have is suede or is it top grain leather?

kozulich said:
not familiar with the Illinois strops but yes, I think strops are supposed to be smooth. My russian leather strop is top notch and also BBS. Are you saying the strop you have is suede or is it top grain leather?

Im pretty sure its leather. Across the top it says "Imperial Russia" not sure if that has anything to do with it. In any event the strop has sort of a course texture to it... not exactly smooth.

-Billy

Billy,
Did you try to use it? If so how did it feel. There is supposed to be some draw on the blade when stropping. I also don't think I would have put anything on a brand new strop, but that does not mean that I think you have ruined the strop.

I would suggest checking in at www.straightrazorplace.com. There you will find many very experienced members and even a few who make there own strops.

Good luck,

JMT said:
Billy,
Did you try to use it? If so how did it feel. There is supposed to be some draw on the blade when stropping. I also don't think I would have put anything on a brand new strop, but that does not mean that I think you have ruined the strop.

I would suggest checking in at www.straightrazorplace.com. There you will find many very experienced members and even a few who make there own strops.

Good luck,

Thank you for the advice Jim,

I just found out about SRP today and haven't really had a chance to browse over there, I will definatly check it out. As far as the feel of the strop, I'm affraid I couldn't tell you. I did infact use it, but It was sort of awkward for me, and I found myself applying more pressure to the razor than I probably should have. I would sit down and practice more, but I wasn't sure if the surface of my strop is suitable or not. I tried to do the hair test with the razor after stropping, and it wouldn't cut the hair at all, so apparently im not doing something right lol

-Billy

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
kozulich said:

The Illinois #827 is their Russian strop. The stropping surface on this one is actually the flesh side of the hide, not the top grain outer surface. Unlike suede it is not sanded or buffed either. The smooth, skin side is embossed with a series of ridges to compress the strop and then becomes the back of the strop. The working side on a #827 often looks like terrycloth tightly compressed but can get "wooly" pretty quickly. They feel quite a bit different than most Russian strops like the Dovo or Jemico.

The #827 is a perfectly workable strop if you get a well made one but it is not what most buyers usually expect and few vendors mention the coarse textured surface. The #127 is a far better choice and should retail for the sale price.

Tony Miller

If oyu have any obvious ridges in it, then it must be finished prior to use.

I went through this with my own 827. Here's how I did it....get ready for some elbow grease, or just get a Dovo Russian leather and call it over with:

1) 10 mins rubbing north/south with a pumice stone (i use the one from www.classicshaving.com)
2) lather with shaving soap of choice (hard soap preferred)
3) while lathered, give it another 10mins of the pumice stone
4) re-lather, rub in with hand for 10 mins
5) re-lather, rub in with smooth glass bottle for 10 mins.

repeat as needed

I did this to get a rather nice smooth draw. In my opinion, I am a bit upset that Illinois let a strop out their factory in that kind of shape. Mine had a huge ridge in the middle, that would have damaged my razor if I was to strop on it.

The Illinois #827 is their Russian strop. The stropping surface on this one is actually the flesh side of the hide, not the top grain outer surface. Unlike suede it is not sanded or buffed either. The smooth, skin side is embossed with a series of ridges to compress the strop and then becomes the back of the strop. The working side on a #827 often looks like terrycloth tightly compressed but can get "wooly" pretty quickly. They feel quite a bit different than most Russian strops like the Dovo or Jemico.

The #827 is a perfectly workable strop if you get a well made one but it is not what most buyers usually expect and few vendors mention the coarse textured surface. The #127 is a far better choice and should retail for the sale price.

Tony Miller

I just received one of these and I am very confused as well. I'm not sure I understand your post. One side of the leather is very rough while the other one is extremely ridged and bumpy. Neither side seems suitable for stropping. How am I supposed to use this thing? :confused:

Billy,

I would suggest checking in at ...
Good luck,
Hmm... sending the new guy away already? A tad prematurely since there is just as much knowledge here on this forum. Go stand in the corner, young man... :biggrin:

Hmm... sending the new guy away already?
this is a 1.5 year old event. the last poster is the new one that needs help

I just received one of these and I am very confused as well. I'm not sure I understand your post. One side of the leather is very rough while the other one is extremely ridged and bumpy. Neither side seems suitable for stropping. How am I supposed to use this thing? :confused:
the side that is not meant to be used has a clearly embossed pattern.
i had 827 at one time and it seemed perfectly fine, but i didn't want to break it in so i resold it after few tries.

i'm sorry that i have to send you outside of this website, but that's where some good and relevant information i know of is located.

Top Bottom