What's new

Stirling Syndicate

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As someone who has gone through a similar evolution of razors - 2011 R41, iKon Tech, normal R41, and I tried the Stirling head, you owe it to yourself to get a Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant razor head.

The Stirling was just too aggressive for me to use. The Yaqi is the best razor I have ever used. Not nearly as aggressive as any of the above, but just as efficient.

As someone who has gone through a similar evolution of razors - 2011 R41, iKon Tech, normal R41, and I tried the Stirling head, you owe it to yourself to get a Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant razor head.

The Stirling was just too aggressive for me to use. The Yaqi is the best razor I have ever used. Not nearly as aggressive as any of the above, but just as efficient.
Thank you for the recommendation. I was considering the Yaqi Knight Helmet as one from the same brand to try, but perhaps I'll look into the aggressive slant one instead.

If you like aggressive/efficient and some blade feel, i recommend the rex ambassador on settings 5 and 6 and the merkur futur on settings 3-6

- Fayiz D.
Thanks for the recs. I have a Futur, but don't care for the size of the head and slipperiness of the handle. I've heard other recommendations for the Rex Ambassador. I may check that out as well.

Thank you for the recommendation. I was considering the Yaqi Knight Helmet as one from the same brand to try, but perhaps I'll look into the aggressive slant one instead.
The Knight Helmet is also extremely efficient. At $6 or so, if you are buying the other Yaqi head, you may as well throw the Knight helmet head into the order, imo. Find out for yourself which one works better for you.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have the Knight Helmet. The Slant is both more comfortable and more efficient, at least for me.

I've ordered both Yaqi heads to try out.

Updated to add - I am noticing a little irritation on my neck from my shave this morning. Might need to work on my angle next time with the Stirling.

I've been thinking about a new brush, so after reading this post I decided to get the Sterling fan knot brush. I've never had a fan style brush nor anything Sterling outside of their sandlewood soap. The brush appears very well made and performed admirably upon its first use. It's smaller than my current 26mm knot but has plenty of backbone for my tastes. I really like the handle....it's very comfortable and easy to grip. It doesn't hold quite as much soap as my current brush so I have to get my loading figured out. Overall very happy with this brush and will use it often.

How strongly scented are Stirling splashes? Haverford particularily. For example, I can use Razorock splash in spritz bottle as an EDT with pretty good projection and longevity. Would Stirling Haverford splash be suitable too?

Stirling is a real hit and miss for me when it comes to scents. I like strong scents. Some Stirling has good strength of scent, like Haverford and Agar. But this Spring I've tried a lime and a
Imagepipe_19.jpg
pineapple, both of which seem basically unscented. The soap is very good, but I'll stay away from Stirlings Summer scents and stick with their Winter season scents.

How strongly scented are Stirling splashes? Haverford particularily. For example, I can use Razorock splash in spritz bottle as an EDT with pretty good projection and longevity. Would Stirling Haverford splash be suitable too?
On the Stirling web site you can get a sampling of four after shaves for about ten dollars. They are a generous amount. One of the scents I got was the Haverford. I have used the Haverford sample bottle three or four times and I still have most of it. It is a decent strength.

Oh yea I would like to add that Stirling has an EDT of Haverford. You can get a sample of The EDT for 5 dollars.
I recently received a sample of Tom Fords Tobacco Vannile. I did an blind smell test with my wife using Tom Fords Tobacco Vannile and Stirling's Haverford aftershave and she could not tell the difference. Of course Tom Fords Tobacco Vannile lasts longer because its a EDP.

Oh yea I would like to add that Stirling has an EDT of Haverford. You can get a sample of The EDT for 5 dollars.
I recently received a sample of Tom Fords Tobacco Vannile. I did an blind smell test with my wife using Tom Fords Tobacco Vannile and Stirling's Haverford aftershave and she could not tell the difference. Of course Tom Fords Tobacco Vannile lasts longer because its a EDP.
Thank you very much @Slock. I'm in Europe and as far as I know, there are no Stirling EDTs available here. I will try the AS though.

I ask because as much as I like the scents that Phoenix Shaving offers, they don't last as long as I'd like whereas those offered by Stirling last most of the day if not all day or at least the few that I've tried. I recently got PAA's take on Brut (Et Tu) and really enjoyed the smell, so I was wondering if anyone here might know of a scent either through trying their Eau de Toilettes or soaps know if any that smell at least similar to Brute

I'm not normally one to try a shaving soap JUST because of the scent but... I have to admit "Shadow Orchid" from Stirling has piqued my curiosity and I can't eeeven begin to wrap my brain around how it might come across.

The profile reads as follows: "A deep, dark scent that boasts of chocolate, truffles, and patchouli followed by orchid, vanilla, incense, amber, and pepper. It's finished off with floral, fruity, and sandalwood notes."

I know it's a very subjective thing but I would be interested to hear opinions from those that have tried this soap.

Top Bottom