What's new

Stirling Syndicate

I wasn't too interested in Stirling's SS razors but FOMO kicked in for me. I heard that this release might be a one and done thing so I decided to jump on it. I've been enjoying more efficient razors so I'm hoping that these plates will be efficient and comfortable.

Also, the Austin handle looks gorgeous. I like to hold my razor towards the bottom so the knurling is perfect. I'm especially excited to try out the HA because I haven't tried a razor with blade gap like that. I did try my Progress recently with a higher setting and it was okay...

On a whim, I bought a Sterling off the 'bay. After getting it, I really wanted to give a bit more balance so I bought a Razoremporium aftermarket ball-end handle replica in matching nickel.

On top of all this, I loaded up my first ever Rapira Platinum Lux and gave the whole thing a whirl this morning. 3 passes with some touchup gave me a BBS.

The head is very interesting. It is super light and combined with a nickel/brass handle the razor is handle heavy.

Also, I compared the head with my 66 Tech Head and the blade sits a tad flatter in the head. I am guessing that gives a bit more blade gap and exposure. It definitely felt a bit more aggressive. I wouldn't really call it efficient, but it certainly wasn't unpleasant.

Overall, it is an ok setup, nothing that I would use on a daily basis, but nothing I would tell others to avoid. It is an interesting take on the tech with just a tad more oomph. If you feel like spending about $35 to play around, I would say go for it. If you would rather spend that money on Miller Lite, then I would also not fault you.

As to the Rapira, it was a nice shave, I will have to try a couple more shaves in known razors before I decide on it.

I got a 5 pack with the Rapira plastic handle tech clone. I have heard that is a beast. I checked both sides and it has even blade exposure so I will have to give it a go.

I got a hold of the Stirling Stainless Steel razor with both standard and hyper aggressive plates. Beautiful presentation and I dig the look on the razor.

Stirling SS Razor.jpg
IMG_20210312_135204362~2.jpg

Today's shave with both plates.

SOTD 03132021.jpg

Great shave today. Standard plate shaves really smoothly with mid-high blade feel. Very easy to work with and resembles the GC84 IMO. The Hyper Aggressive plate is own a league of its own. Shaves smoothly but it can bite and it has high blade feel. Nothing comes close to it in aggression but it's still smoother than some of the aggressive options that I have.

Also, I got the Austin handle with the knurling towards the bottom. It's an attractive handle but because the head is pretty heavy, I do need to hold the handle a bit towards the neck. Knurling is good and it's not the most comfortable handle but it does the job. I might have to get in couple more shaves to get used to the handle but I like it so far.

I'm glad I got both plates with this great looking handle. Definitely a keeper in my den.

Anyone else tried the coffee from Stirling Soap Company? I recently picked up a sampler pack of Brazilian, Columbian, and Costa Rican. I am impressed so far, and the price is better than most of the other subscription services I have used like Intelligentsia, Onyx, Blue Bottle, etc.
Just recently got around to trying a sample of the India sample that came with an order in January. Pretty good coffee. Prices look good for small batch coffee too

Someone tell me it isn't true........is Stirling out of the "green" their take on Polo Green? I bought the aftershave for the holidays, and while I still have half a bottle left, which in theory should get me through the year, I was looking to score a container of the shave soap next.

If it's only seasonal, hey I get it, and I will just have to make sure to load up at the holiday season when it hopefully becomes available again.

This happens every time I swear!!!!!!

the problem is that I don't see it available anymore, granted I could always just call and or email them, but I didn't see it listed on the website.

Regardless I can always do that again if he brings it back for later in the year you know

stirling-shave-soap-img15_1024x1024@2x.jpg sheep-shave-soap-stirling_300x300.jpg

I, sadly, cannot use many soaps with fragrances. No matter how gingerly I apply it, my face will turn bright red, burn, tingle, and get very tight. :bayrum2: Its a shame as there are some absolutely beautiful scents to use and explore in the shaving world. Odd enough, the scents that I can use, are the ones that give most people trouble, such as Almond and Citrus. I can use those fine, both in soap and aftershave form.

Wow, is all I can say in regards to Stirling's Sheep. I've been using their Naked & Smooth for a few years now and have always been nothing short of impressed with each shave. On a whim, I decided to purchase their sheep after hearing some rave reviews.

They were correct! Sheep is an amazing soap - maximum cushion, protection, and the slickness is off the charts! I'm a fairly heavy brush loader and face latherer, so after 30 seconds of loading my brush from the container, I was able to produce enough lather for a 6 pass shave on a Buffalo. I'm going to be stockpiling/hoarding this soap for sure. I think I have found my new favorite unscented soap of all time. Now, Naked & Smooth is no slouch, and for me, personally, is one of the top tier unscented soaps out there and will always continue to use it. But, I believe Stirling's Sheep might have a slight edge of the Naked & Smooth for me.

I was using Barrister and Mann's Latha Unscented for quite awhile and loved it. I even once wrote to them expressing how much I loved and hope they would never get rid of it. I was assured that they had no plans on retiring it as they get a lot of requests for unscented products, so that put me at ease. ....three weeks later, it was discontinued. :glare:

So, for me, Stirling has my all time favorite unscented soaps at an unbeatable price. They are simply perfect. I couldn't ask for a better soap base and company to use. If anyone is on the fence about trying an unscented soap, jump right in! You won't be disappointed and you're able to try out many aftershave balms and splashes without fear of clashing scents.

Last edited:
View attachment 1241513 View attachment 1241512

I, sadly, cannot use many soaps with fragrances. No matter how gingerly I apply it, my face will turn bright red, burn, tingle, and get very tight. :bayrum2: Its a shame as there are some absolutely beautiful scents to use and explore in the shaving world. Odd enough, the scents that I can use, are the ones that give most people trouble, such as Almond and Citrus. I can use those fine, both in soap and aftershave form.

Wow, is all I can say in regards to Stirling's Sheep. I've been using their Naked & Smooth for a few years now and have always been nothing short of impressed with each shave. On a whim, I decided to purchase their sheep after hearing some rave reviews.

They were correct! Sheep is an amazing soap - maximum cushion, protection, and the slickness is off the charts! I'm a fairly heavy brush loader and face latherer, so after 30 seconds of loading my brush from the container, I was able to produce enough lather for a 6 pass shave on a Buffalo. I'm going to be stockpiling/hoarding this soap for sure. I think I have found my new favorite unscented soap of all time. Now, Naked & Smooth is no slouch, and for me, personally, is one of the top tier unscented soaps out there and will always continue to use it. But, I believe Stirling's Sheep might have a slight edge of the Naked & Smooth for me.

I was using Barrister and Mann's Latha Unscented for quite awhile and loved it. I even once wrote to them expressing how much I loved and hope they would never get rid of it. I was assured that they had no plans on retiring it as they get a lot of requests for unscented products, so that put me at ease. ....three weeks later, it was discontinued. :glare:

So, for me, Stirling has my all time favorite unscented soaps at an unbeatable price. They are simply perfect. I couldn't ask for a better soap base and company to use. If anyone is on the fence about trying an unscented soap, jump right in! You won't be disappointed and you're able to try out many aftershave balms and splashes without fear of clashing scents.
Sheep is a good one for sure. It has a little base scent to it but the performance is top notch for me. Always a pleasure to use.

SOTD 03262021 RS.jpg

Excellent shave with the Stirling Stainless Steel razor (HA plate) today, paired with Nacet (2).

Almost daily shaving with this beast, I've had mostly positive results. One flaw for me is that it is picky with blades. I have three favorite blades to use that works with most razors but with the HA plate, Nacet is the only one that works well. Others feel a bit rough even though the result is still decent.

I had one bad shave with the HA plate and that was paired with Voskhod (3). Blade really matters with this razor.

A lot of blade feel, smooth, and efficient. It's a one of a kind razor for me and I'm glad I get to keep shaving with this HA plate. Granted I don't have the heaviest growth, it still shaves comfortably for me.

I have shaved twice with the HA plate with three days on my face and a Sharp Titanium blade(18).
For me, it is a one-pass 10/10 shave with very minor touch-ups. I was surprised at how it mowed down my medium beard with no weepers or alum feedback on my first two shaves with this razor.
I have another set on the way to keep as a spare.

linty1

My wallet cries.
This brush is very tempting to me, I like the all green handle and the soft tips/back bone combination (I -love- my soc for this reason) kinda deciding between fan/bulb and if its worth going up to the high mountain but search for a lower lofted (if its exists, I haven't look that far). From everything I've read online its a great brush.

Most of your Simpsons are generally considered hybrid shapes and not bulbs per se.

Pretty handle, congrats!

I didn't know that. I was looking at a couple of my Simpsons and going back and forth between bulb and fan. It's a bulb...no wait it's more of a fan...nope - it's a bulb.... I didn't realize it was by design and not just the craftsmanship of the person shaping the knots that day.

Backstory, since I'm kind of new here - I got into wet shaving a little less than 15 years ago as a result of ingrown hair issues and a sudden thickening of my beard when I got into my thirties. I started off with traditional straight razors and then Feather Artist Club straights. I still enjoy my Feather straight, but it is not a "Monday-morning, get the kids to school on time" kind of razor, so I started trying out DE razors.

My go-to razor for the longest time has been the 2011 model Muhle R41 - I also sometimes use the 2013 R41, but I find I have to do more passes with it and that sometimes leads to irritation. My favorite blades with the Muhle (of either vintage) are Feather and I shave more or less daily.

Fast forward and the head on my 2011 R41 is starting to show signs of deterioration. Probably as a result of me not taking great care of it, in part. Realizing it was not going to last me forever, I started looking for replacements and alternatives.

So far I have not been able to find any 2011 R41s for sale. I got several recommendations for alternatives and ended up trying (so far) the Ikon Tek and the Stirling Stainless with dual base plates. I've also ordered the 3D printed R41 replacemetn parts and the new SS R41 to try out, but neither has arrived. I've used the Ikon Tek for 3-4 shaves now. I like it well enough. It has an interesting aural feedback quality and I got nice shaves with it, but it hasn't yet totally won me over. I wonder if the matte finish and striations on the base plate might need more getting used to. I will say the Tek is very fairly priced.

Then I got the Stirling in the mail and used it for the first time this morning. As far as look and feel, the Stirling has a nice heft to it and there is a certain bespoke/handmade quality to it (maybe it is handmade essentially?). This is my first SS DE razor. I chose to go with the "Dallas" handle. BTW - my invoice had a nice handwritten note from Rod offering to answer any questions I might have.

I opted to use the Hyper Aggressive base plate to start along with a new Feather blade (Rod recommends NOT doing this on Stirling's site, FWIW).

Stirling was kind enough to include samples of some of their soaps, but I've never tried them before and wanted to stick with my normal routine, which is pretty utilitarian by many standards - shower, homemade preshave oil, and hand-applied shaving cream, which lately has been Everyman Jack Brushless. I'll try Stirling's soaps sometime soon enough - I have a limited sense of smell and can already tell they smell nice.

I ended up with a nice close shave, no nicks or weepers and basically used a single pass WTG. In short, I'm impressed and look forward to using the razor again tomorrow. It's heavier and has a longer handle than the R41, but it felt very natural shaving with it. It also felt a bit smoother than the Tek. If you are a fan of efficient razors with positive blade exposure, this is one I would suggest trying. I'd welcome any other suggestions on razors to try out too, but by my initial impressions, the Stirling HA is a keeper for me.

Top Bottom