What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

My new Stirling Finest Badger Fan Knot brush ----- Wow !!

Hello Gents ..... I just finished my first shave with this new brush and I am slightly awe struck !
Face lathered with Stirling Boat Drinks soap, I was able to create a rich, thick, luxurious lather
with plenty of product for three lovely passes.

The brush has a 24 x 50 knot, but seems so much bigger due to its fan shape (my first fan, by the
way --- my other 12 brushes are bulbs.) The densely packed bristles held a ton of lather, but easily
released that lather to create a lovely smooth cushion through which my razor glided smoothly and
efficiently. The brush has plenty of backbone and very soft tips, and the combination seems pretty
darn perfect. A faint badger scent right out of the box, which mostly disappeared after the shave.

The gorgeous handle is very comfortable, and seems like a natural extension of my right hand.
For only $ 33 USD, this brush could possibly be one of the best deals around for a high quality
finest badger. I love my four Simpsons best badgers (Colonel X2L, Special, Berkeley, and Duke 2)
and my Elite Razors Manchurian badger, but this new Stirling will stand up strongly right with them !

First photo is right out of the box and the second shows the beautiful bloom after its first shave.

19ABC152-C69C-452C-AFA6-D217CC5AEB3F_1_201_a.jpeg 56DB6423-AB38-4E6C-B554-303D071B702A.jpeg

Last edited:
What is your take on the fan vs bulb, if you don't mind?

Totally different feelings, both of which are thoroughly enjoyable. More control of lather placement with the bulb,
and a more "lush" lather release with the fan. The 50 mm. loft of the fan seems "just right," and well balanced
with the large handle. I'm a lucky man to be able to add this Stirling to my brush collection.

Nice addition, Adam! Stirling lives up to its name for so many reasons. Looks like you found a winner!

Thank you Sir ! I've enjoyed many different Stirling soaps and A/S splashes over the past few
years, and this brush surely seems to be a winner from the these fine Arkansas folks.
My compliments to Rod and Mandy for their dedication to our wonderful traditional shaving hobby
and their ability to create really terrific products at affordable prices.

Last edited:
Totally different feelings, both of which are thoroughly enjoyable. More control of lather placement with the bulb,
and a more "lush" lather release with the fan. The 50 mm. loft of the fan seems "just right," and well balanced
with the large handle. I'm a lucky man to be able to add this Stirling to my brush collection.
Cool, at a heck of price point too. Thank you for the post!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Ambassador
Thank you Sir ! I've enjoyed many different Stirling soaps and A/S splashes over the past few
years, and this brush surely seems to be a winner from the these fine Arkansas folks.
My compliments to Rod and Mandy for their dedication to our wonderful traditional shaving hobby
and their ability to create wonderful products at affordable prices.
And for their service to our country.

MyOldKentuckyHome

Contributor
Screenshot_20210303-205252.png
My valentine got me the same knot in Stirling's other handle style (I believe my favorite handle of all time).

She was nervous because it was my first fan knot but it's AMAZING

More control of lather placement with the bulb,
and a more "lush" lather release with the fan. The 50 mm. loft of the fan seems "just right,"
I agree with this description!

This brush is very tempting to me, I like the all green handle and the soft tips/back bone combination (I -love- my soc for this reason) kinda deciding between fan/bulb and if its worth going up to the high mountain but search for a lower lofted (if its exists, I haven't look that far). From everything I've read online its a great brush.

Silky Glide

Contributor
The 24mm fan has been in my rotation for a couple of years now and I have to agree - it is a great brush and an fantastic value.

MtView

Contributor
Most of your Simpsons are generally considered hybrid shapes and not bulbs per se.

Pretty handle, congrats!
I didn't know that. I was looking at a couple of my Simpsons and going back and forth between bulb and fan. It's a bulb...no wait it's more of a fan...nope - it's a bulb.... I didn't realize it was by design and not just the craftsmanship of the person shaping the knots that day.

I've been thinking about a new brush, so after reading this post I decided to get the Sterling fan knot brush. I've never had a fan style brush nor anything Sterling outside of their sandlewood soap. The brush appears very well made and performed admirably upon its first use. It's smaller than my current 26mm knot but has plenty of backbone for my tastes. I really like the handle....it's very comfortable and easy to grip. It doesn't hold quite as much soap as my current brush so I have to get my loading figured out. Overall very happy with this brush and will use it often.

Top Bottom