What's new

My new Shave Mug from "Dirty Bird"

Since I discovered Tabac I'm less and less of a shave cream guy. However, one problem I do have with Tabac and other shave soaps is the shave mug. I just think they are not wide enough and to deep to properly load up a brush. With this in mind I contacted Dirty Bird Pottery and asked Julie if she could make a mug that was wider and less deep than the ones she has on her website. She said she could and here is the result. The opening is 4 1/2 inches and the depth is 1 3/4 inches. This give me plenty of room to maneuver the brush and not have the brush handle bang on the sides as with smaller mugs. Also I got a somewhat inverted handle which helps in holding the mug securely while loading my brush. As much as I would like to take credit for this design I would like to thank "Dougie 55" after seeing his post about the mug he had made by Julie at Dirty Bird. As for Julie, first rate customer service and workmanship. A pleasure to do business with her.

Here are some pics.

BTW, the mug has been loaded with one puck and one shave stick of Tabac. I think I may be able to load two more pucks. If that is the case this Tabac shave mug should last me years.

Attachments

• $IMG_1259.jpg
    $IMG_1259.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 321
  • $IMG_1261.jpg
    $IMG_1261.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 320
  • $IMG_1262.jpg
    $IMG_1262.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 321
  • $IMG_1263.jpg
    $IMG_1263.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 319
  • $IMG_1264.jpg
    $IMG_1264.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 319
Hello David!!!

My name is Sam and I'm Brazilian.
I really love you personalized shaving mug.

I'm sendind this message for you to ask if are you still in love with you mug??? I will contact Julie thies week for she mades one for me but I'm in doubt between your model or this one (right side in the picture. A blue bowl (that I can also use like a mug) in the right side ps the DB scuttle 1.5 also blue.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/68794-Dirtybird-Shaving-Scuttle

Please let me know your opinion and tell me more about your acperiwnce with Tabac Shaving Soap.

Regards
Sam

Hello David!!!

My name is Sam and I'm Brazilian.
I really love you personalized shaving mug.

I'm sendind this message for you to ask if are you still in love with you mug??? I will contact Julie thies week for she mades one for me but I'm in doubt between your model or this one (right side in the picture. A blue bowl (that I can also use like a mug) in the right side ps the DB scuttle 1.5 also blue.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/68794-Dirtybird-Shaving-Scuttle

Please let me know your opinion and tell me more about your acperiwnce with Tabac Shaving Soap.

Regards
Sam

Sam,

The mug is working out just fine. In fact I have three of them. My only complaint is it is a little too heavy. However it is sturdy and looks like it will last many a life times.

As for Tabac, it is the best of my soaps. Some soaps come near it in performance but Tabac is always just a bit better to ever soap I've tried.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
She is a fantastic potter and I have been giving consideration to getting a scuttle from her once again. I go in phases, first wanting one, then going cold and thinking that I like what I already have, then back again, and....

I am glad she is doing so well as from what I have seen she does fantastic work.

I am hoping that she does a show near by me so that I can see more of her work in person.

Hello David...
Thabks for your reply.
After you pictures and review from yor mug and Tabac shaving soap i will buy both.
Also want to try Czech shaving soap..

Do you have some suggestion for Julia to make my mug? Do you think that horizontal and vertical ridges can make some difference than just the rspiral that you make in the base from yours???
Regards

Sam

Hello David...
Thabks for your reply.
After you pictures and review from yor mug and Tabac shaving soap i will buy both.
Also want to try Czech shaving soap..

Do you have some suggestion for Julia to make my mug? Do you think that horizontal and vertical ridges can make some difference than just the rspiral that you make in the base from yours???
Regards

Sam

Sam, I would leave the suggestions between Julia and yourself.

She has a lot of knowledge and experience about shave mugs and can give you some advice on what may work for you.

How did you get your soap in the dish like that? Did you grate all of it or just the stick and pack it around the puck? If you grated it, how do you pack it down? I always thought you just put the puck in the dish and after a few days it would stick to the bottom and quit rattling around. I appreciate your thoughts.

How did you get your soap in the dish like that? Did you grate all of it or just the stick and pack it around the puck? If you grated it, how do you pack it down? I always thought you just put the puck in the dish and after a few days it would stick to the bottom and quit rattling around. I appreciate your thoughts.

It depends on the soap. For the three soaps/dishes I got I microwaved the VDH Luxury right into the mug after cutting it up into smaller parts. For Tabac and Klar I just used a cheese grater. Nothing special as to packing into the mug. Just added just a little water during the process.

Top Bottom