What's new

My new Rotbart Mond Extra.....

Greetings all...i recently got this Rotbart Mond razor new in the cardstock box and thought i'd show it off. From what i can gather its from the '50's era. If any collectors out there can be more specific or has any interesting info to add please do!!! Thanks for looking..:thumbup1:...best, rich

$Rot1.jpg $Rot2.jpg

It is a sharp looker...came wrapped in the tissue with one blade glued to the inside bottom of the slip style box.....i saved the tissue and blade!!!

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
That is one outstanding razor.

Do you know if it is nickel over brass?

That light blue tip. Is that a finish applied to the metal by something akin to anodizing or plating? Or is it paint?

Hi Bill...the tip appears to be anodized. Its not paint for sure. It does offer a bit of contrast which really dresses it up and gives it a class all its own. I may not use it an awful lot but its a keeper just for its asthetic qualities. Thanks everyone for the positive comments!!.....Cheers....rich

It´s a Rotbart #15. I got one last Friday. Have not used it yet though. I have really tried to date this razor. Done a lot of search on the German shaving forums. From what I have learned I think these were manufactured from the early 50`s up until the early 60´s. The plating is supposed to be so and so..? Maybe that´s the reason why they show up in either mint condition or "beyond rotten"?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It´s a Rotbart #15. I got one last Friday. Have not used it yet though. I have really tried to date this razor. Done a lot of search on the German shaving forums. From what I have learned I think these were manufactured from the early 50`s up until the early 60´s. The plating is supposed to be so and so..? Maybe that´s the reason why they show up in either mint condition or "beyond rotten"?

Yep, 50's to early 60s dates the No.15. The plating on mine is bad only on the neck, the head and aluminum handle are fine -- that's how some come out of the box.

proxy.php

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Hi Bill...the tip appears to be anodized. Its not paint for sure. It does offer a bit of contrast which really dresses it up and gives it a class all its own. I may not use it an awful lot but its a keeper just for its asthetic qualities. Thanks everyone for the positive comments!!.....Cheers....rich

Maybe you'd use it more if you had a blade sampler and could find the right ammo.

Yep, 50's to early 60s dates the No.15. The plating on mine is bad only on the neck, the head and aluminum handle are fine -- that's how some come out of the box.

For some reason or the other the plating issues are ALWAYS on their necks. Odd is´nt it? I think that they also were commonly sold in big cardboard boxes containing a dozen razors (but that I cannot confirm for sure).

Last edited:
If anyone has a spare one of these they'd like to sell (user grade is fine) just sitting around please PM me. These are beautiful razors!!

Thanks all for the kind comments and information....the plating on this one in super condition. No lifting or pitting. I didn't show the exposed side of the "blade hood" with the threaded stud but its like a mirror. What i find interesting here is the typical German "over engineering" of the threaded interior barrel in the handle vs. just threading a solid handle. I'm going to try some different blades in it....its growing on me by the day. Thanks for the dating info as well!!!.......cheers....rich

I received my No. 15 this week as NOS in its original box with an original blade. Wow. And wow again. What an amazing razor!

Being used to the Merkur HD (and a bunch of other DE's including an Edwin Jagger, Fat Boy, Tech, Superspeed, ...) , it was like I had worked the Rotbart a thousand times before. It felt very natural in handling, worked very smoothly -- and man did it give me a close shave! The first time ever using it.

The setup was Speick shaving soap lathered with a Figaro boar, and a brand-new Rotbart "Extradünn" blade (extradünn means extra thin). Not the original blade which came in the box, that one I am going to keep.

About one and a half years ago, these razors have been sold by the dozen (!) as NOS for 36 Euros (roughly 50$). Even though I was in the "shaving scene" already back then, I missed that opportunity. Still, this one I have traded for three after shave samples, 2 Feathers, 2 Ladas, and an Arko stick. No reason to complain. No reason whatsoever. ;)

If you can get your hands on one, get it. Chances are you'll love it. Don't pay a fortune though; there still should be plenty on the market -- enough to keep the prices reasonable.

$5dbc29ab.jpg

Top Bottom