What's new

My new Razorock Protege

So, I had been looking, like a lot of guys trying to upgrade from their first DE, at both the Muhle r89 and the EJDE89. Realizing that RR had the Protege, which is their SS handle with the muhle and EJ's head on it (from what they state in the description, saying they "sourced the EJ head", not copied), I thought that, for the price, this was a great deal.

Got their "Stupid value kit" in the end, as it included the synthetic Plisson brush, the Protege and their Amici soap (for the price, that was like getting the soap for free so...).

I thought I'd share a few pics, seeing how there aren't any posts about this razor so far (based on the quick search I did at least).

Why no review? I promised my wife that the new razor and cream she is giving me for xmas would be the first new shaving gear I tried so this one stays in the drawer for now...

Very shiny, no imperfections that I can spot so far. You can judge for yourselves form the pics a bit...

Cheers!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Looks like a nice set up,Love the Stainless steel Handle I t will last a life time and you can use it other heads also

You might take a look at this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/476034-Maggard-Closed-Comb-v3 There is some reasonable speculation that the Maggard closed comb v3 is the same head as the Protege, which is to say that is the EJ DE89 head. I have the Maggard v3 closed comb, and the head looks to me to be identical to the EJ DE89. I don't have the Protege, so I can't verify that the Protege and the Maggard are the same, but all information points to the conclusion that these are both DE89 heads. FWIW, I've found the Maggard v3 to be a dead ringer, shave-wise, to the EJ DE89. Assuming, as IB states, that the Protege head is indeed the same as the DE89, then if you like your DE89, the Protege, with its superior stainless handle, should be a great addition to your rotation.

Can't wait to try it out. Spang, I didn't know about the maggard being supposedly the same as all of these... Seems like the DE world is more incestuous than I initially thought... ;)

I also figured I could use the handle with other heads. I was thinking of ordering the "mentor"'s head eventually, just to try a more aggressive set-up. All in all, if it shaves nice it wil have been quite a bargain.

Last edited:
Well, looks like I will be trying something new again. My last EJDE89 was lent to a newb that liked it very much, he got it as a birthday present. I will need another to lend to newb's.

Well, looks like I will be trying something new again. My last EJDE89 was lent to a newb that liked it very much, he got it as a birthday present. I will need another to lend to newb's.
Then I think your answer is clear: get a Protege, or a Maggard closed comb v3. On both, the head is the same as the EJ DE89, but they come with a much better handle (Maggard's offers several to choose from), at half the price of the EJ. It's a no-brainer.

Here you go objectcrusher... sold out for now of course. As I said, it's basically like getting the soap for free. How can you say no? :D

Stupid value kit.

This one also seems like a great bargain.

Last edited:
Here you go @[objectcrusher]... sold out for now of course. As I said, it's basically like getting the soap for free. How can you say no? :D

Stupid value kit.

This one also seems like a great bargain.

Of course it's a nice value kit! About the plating of the head, my protege head has some minors imperfections in the plating... i'm curious to know if its the same than yours... (micro curvy spot, dirt stuck in the plating...) its very minor but i'd like to know how urs looks like...:p thanks!

French: Quand je veux dire curvy spot: cest genre une petite bosse qui s'enforce par en dedans, sur la tete du rasoir, la piece que l'on met sur notre visage pour le rasage. C'est très très mineurs on peu s'en apercevoir a haute eclairage.

Of course it's a nice value kit! About the plating of the head, my protege head has some minors imperfections in the plating... i'm curious to know if its the same than yours... (micro curvy spot, dirt stuck in the plating...) its very minor but i'd like to know how urs looks like...:p thanks!

French: Quand je veux dire curvy spot: cest genre une petite bosse qui s'enforce par en dedans, sur la tete du rasoir, la piece que l'on met sur notre visage pour le rasage. C'est très très mineurs on peu s'en apercevoir a haute eclairage.

I took those pics right out of the box and inspected it. I don't remember seeing anything at all, it appeared perfect but I'll have a second look later when I can manage it.

Can't wait to try it out. Spang, I didn't know about the maggard being supposedly the same as all of these... Seems like the DE world is more incestuous than I initially thought... ;)

I also figured I could use the handle with other heads. I was thinking of ordering the "mentor"'s head eventually, just to try a more aggressive set-up. All in all, if it shaves nice it wil have been quite a bargain.

You might take a look at this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/476034-Maggard-Closed-Comb-v3 There is some reasonable speculation that the Maggard closed comb v3 is the same head as the Protege, which is to say that is the EJ DE89 head. I have the Maggard v3 closed comb, and the head looks to me to be identical to the EJ DE89. I don't have the Protege, so I can't verify that the Protege and the Maggard are the same, but all information points to the conclusion that these are both DE89 heads. FWIW, I've found the Maggard v3 to be a dead ringer, shave-wise, to the EJ DE89. Assuming, as IB states, that the Protege head is indeed the same as the DE89, then if you like your DE89, the Protege, with its superior stainless handle, should be a great addition to your rotation.

I'm also pretty sure Maggard OC V2 is the same as the RR "RAKE".

Top Bottom