What's new

My new Pomco slant

Here is my new Vintage Pomco slant. It is stamped Chicago, Il - Germany. It was make by Merkur. This is after I cleaned it up with scrubbing bubbles and soaking in a foil/baking soda bath. There is still some rust on the handle that I can't get off. And I'm not sure what is in the knurling on the knob but I can't get that out either. Any tips for cleanign it the rest of the way?

It shaves nicely. Just as close as my Fatboy, but it is more aggressive and so there was some irritation that I don't get with my Fatboy. To be fair, I wasn't taking my time like I should have to test it out. It did give me some weepers, like I said it is aggressive. I just need to take better care with it. It is a very neat razor. I'm glad I was able to get a slant and not have to buy a new razor, since I prefer vintage. It cost $12, which I think is a great deal since it came with the case.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my new Vintage Pomco slant. It is stamped Chicago, Il - Germany. It was make by Merkur. This is after I cleaned it up with scrubbing bubbles and soaking in a foil/baking soda bath. There is still some rust on the handle that I can't get off. And I'm not sure what is in the knurling on the knob but I can't get that out either. Any tips for cleanign it the rest of the way?

It shaves nicely. Just as close as my Fatboy, but it is more aggressive and so there was some irritation that I don't get with my Fatboy. To be fair, I wasn't taking my time like I should have to test it out. It did give me some weepers, like I said it is aggressive. I just need to take better care with it. It is a very neat razor. I'm glad I was able to get a slant and not have to buy a new razor, since I prefer vintage. It cost $12, which I think is a great deal since it came with the case.

I would hit it with scrubbing bubbles again, then maybe some toothpaste and a toothbrush (soft bristles). If that doesn't help, you could try a metal polish.

Looks great, though as it is.

Nice score particularly since it still has the case. I have yet to score a rusty razor so I can't tell you if it is safe for the finish or not, but Brasso might get the rest of the rust.

I don't know the metal composition of the older Merkur razors, but I doubt if it was a material that would rust.

Either way, nice razor!

Thats a nice looking razor, discoloration gives it a nice vintage look like something worth putting in your shave den just for display. Makes me think I need to get something vintage. Damn is that the starts of AD... Off to EBAY I go

Thats a nice looking razor, discoloration gives it a nice vintage look like something worth putting in your shave den just for display. Makes me think I need to get something vintage. Damn is that the starts of AD... Off to EBAY I go

You're in a dangerous place right now... to the right, an idealic life of RAD-free bliss, and to the left, a place where you will trade your soul for a BBS shave and just... one... more... razor...

I would hit it with scrubbing bubbles again, then maybe some toothpaste and a toothbrush (soft bristles). If that doesn't help, you could try a metal polish.
I tried toothpaste too, the only thing I haven't tried yet is the metal polish.

Nice score particularly since it still has the case. I have yet to score a rusty razor so I can't tell you if it is safe for the finish or not, but Brasso might get the rest of the rust.
Yeah, I might try brasso real quick on it to see if the rust goes away, thanks.

I don't know the metal composition of the older Merkur razors, but I doubt if it was a material that would rust.
I couldn't believe it was rust either, but when It stuck around after the scrubbing bubbles I figured it had to be. It is a rusty color around where the etched letters are.

You're in a dangerous place right now... to the right, an idealic life of RAD-free bliss, and to the left, a place where you will trade your soul for a BBS shave and just... one... more... razor...

michaelemiller now has one choice to make: take the red pill or the blue pill

Hey guys, one thing I've learned that works wonders for cleaning is lemon juice, with a little table salt mixed in there as an abrasive. There has been more than one occasion where this combination blew my mind. Works really well on brass/copper type stuff, not so well on chrome/nickel.

If you're prepping an old Goodwill or NEW for replating, the lemon juice is the way.

I've used brasso on two rusty razors so far, it's not nearly abrasive enough to hurt the finish (unless you go mad with it, i.e. rub it vigorously for several minutes in the same spot).

Top Bottom