What's new

My new netbook!

Ok, I broke down and bought a Gateway netbook from Bestbuy on Sunday for $230 and am I so impressed! I'm using it right now to post this while streaming BobFM on my headphones.

I'm old enough to remember the original IBM PC so this is like using Alien Technology compared to what we had back then. This thing is no screamer but it surfs the web and with OpenOffice I can do just about anything I need. I still have my desktop for the heavy lifting of photo editing I do. But, for on-the go portability I love it. I seem to be able to find free WIFI just about everywhere - including my kid's flute teacher's front porch!

I've also ripped videos to it, loaded photos via my Canon ZoomBrowser and synced my Palm Tungsten E2. I don't really need much else.

Very cool, I've been waiting to hear from someone who has one of these. What, if any are its biggest limitations, thinking of getting my daughter one for Christmas. Thanks for posting!!

I have my eye on the same thing. $199 (with no sales tax) at the Base Exchange where I work.

Two problems, though: Very limited quantities, and I have to get in line for the doors to open at 0400 on Black Friday.

If they're only $230 at Best Buy, perhaps I'll go that route instead.

What sort of internet speed have you been experiencing with it? I just got a Toshiba laptop with Win7, and I'm blown away by downloads in excess of 20Mps, with gusts up to 30Mps.

And how is it typing on that keyboard? The netbooks I've played with look like I might have to resort to 2-finger typing, but that's not really a problem, considering the portability and ready access to the InfoBahn.

I have my eye on the same thing. $199 (with no sales tax) at the Base Exchange where I work.

Two problems, though: Very limited quantities, and I have to get in line for the doors to open at 0400 on Black Friday.

If they're only $230 at Best Buy, perhaps I'll go that route instead.

What sort of internet speed have you been experiencing with it? I just got a Toshiba laptop with Win7, and I'm blown away by downloads in excess of 20Mps, with gusts up to 30Mps.

And how is it typing on that keyboard? The netbooks I've played with look like I might have to resort to 2-finger typing, but that's not really a problem, considering the portability and ready access to the InfoBahn.

Yeah, the keyboard is tight. If you have big hands it's probably really a problem. I can touch type on it - just takes a little more care than a typical keyboard. I don't do a lot of typing though.

Limitations? 1.6 GHz processor. 1 GB RAM. However, I'm not running big apps - just mostly checking email and web surfing. The screen is small which is another limitation. That is to say, not very tall so you have to scroll quite a bit. I picked up a very small wired mouse for $15 that really works much better than the touch pad - never have liked those. I went with the wired mouse for size, weight and one less damn thing that needs batteries. Screen resolution is just 1024 X600 so don't expect to do gaming on it. That said, I have watched some movies and they look fine to me. No optical drive so you have to rip on the desktop and then put on a flash drive.

Overall, I love it! It fits in my messenger bag with all my other stuff. I doubted how much I'd lug around a laptop so I thought I'd try a netbook instead. I'm fairly certain this thing will go everywhere with me - I doubt I would have said the same about a laptop that is twice the size and weight.

Just setting up a Toshiba 205 for my in-laws right now - I love this thing. Pretty much same specs as the other netbooks (1.6ghz, 10.1" screen, 6 cell with "9 hours" of battery), a bit more expensive than others, but still a fraction of what a laptop a few years back cost. Even in typing this, very few errors in typing - mostly my thumbs brushing against the touchpad.

A++

I've never been able to comfortably use a netbook, and wound up going the MacBook Air route last Christmas. It is light enough to cary in my back pack, brief case, or messenger back, and I appreciate the full size keyboard and screen. I am jealous of those of you comfortable on a netbook, though. Very neat :thumbup1:

I've never been able to comfortably use a netbook, and wound up going the MacBook Air route last Christmas. It is light enough to cary in my back pack, brief case, or messenger back, and I appreciate the full size keyboard and screen. I am jealous of those of you comfortable on a netbook, though. Very neat :thumbup1:

MacBook Air jealous of a netbook? That's kinda like a Ferrari being jealous of a Prius. If I could have justified the coins for a MacBook I totally would have gone that way - much more powerful machine. My budget forced me to go cheap. Hey, I'll trad you. :lol:

MacBook Air jealous of a netbook? That's kinda like a Ferrari being jealous of a Prius. If I could have justified the coins for a MacBook I totally would have gone that way - much more powerful machine. My budget forced me to go cheap. Hey, I'll trad you. :lol:

If you can shrink my hands while we're at it, maybe we can work something out :tongue_sm

So, I've been using my little Gateway netbook for two weeks now. It goes everywhere with me. I think I'm addicted. I can get on B&B now when I'm waiting on my kid while she's at her flute lesson. I can check B&B while I'm sitting at my favorite coffee shop. Even my church has WiFi! Ok, I abstain from B&B while I'm at church but my netbook does come in handy for doing bible study using e-Sword.

I've even run Photoshop Lightroom on this sucker! Ok, the screen is inadequate for that app but it will run.

Ladies and Gentlemen if you're always on the go and lugging around a laptop or just like being up on the latest news and weather beyond what your cell phone brings you take a look at a netbook.

I usualy recomend asus, they have the lowest failiure rate, but most netbooks are more or less the same, same intel processor, same chipset, more or less they are clones hardware wise,

the intel chipset based ones for battery power, and the nvidia ION based ones which have somewhat less reliabity but provide a bit more umf in the graphics and video department,

A huge win in the netbook market.

I was 99% sure I was getting a netbook two summers ago, but then decided that I needed to update my 5 year old eMachine *** laptop.

I ended up getting a 13" MacBook, but I sometimes wonder what could've been if I had gotten a netbook. I especially like the light weight and slim design. And who can deny that greatness of a SSD?

:thumbup: for netbooks

I usualy recomend asus, they have the lowest failiure rate, but most netbooks are more or less the same, same intel processor, same chipset, more or less they are clones hardware wise,

the intel chipset based ones for battery power, and the nvidia ION based ones which have somewhat less reliabity but provide a bit more umf in the graphics and video department,

It appears the Gateway netbook is made my Acer. We'll see as far as reliability. It has a one year warranty but we all know how smoothly warranty claims go. At least I'm not into it for a lot of cash.

A huge win in the netbook market.

I was 99% sure I was getting a netbook two summers ago, but then decided that I needed to update my 5 year old eMachine *** laptop.

I ended up getting a 13" MacBook, but I sometimes wonder what could've been if I had gotten a netbook. I especially like the light weight and slim design. And who can deny that greatness of a SSD?

:thumbup: for netbooks

Well, mine doesn't have the SSD. 160GB hard drive. I couldn't get enough capacity in an SSD but someday they'll replace the conventional hard drive.

Oddly enough, I wanted a MacBook but just couldn't justify the coin it would take.

It appears the Gateway netbook is made my Acer. We'll see as far as reliability. It has a one year warranty but we all know how smoothly warranty claims go. At least I'm not into it for a lot of cash.

Well, mine doesn't have the SSD. 160GB hard drive. I couldn't get enough capacity in an SSD but someday they'll replace the conventional hard drive.

Oddly enough, I wanted a MacBook but just couldn't justify the coin it would take.

Oh, no doubt MacBooks are expensive. Mine was gifted to me, hence why I was shopping around for netbooks. The nice thing about netbooks is that they are so customizable. You could change the hard drive and add a backlit keyboard if you wanted to.

Oh, no doubt MacBooks are expensive. Mine was gifted to me, hence why I was shopping around for netbooks. The nice thing about netbooks is that they are so customizable. You could change the hard drive and add a backlit keyboard if you wanted to.

Yep, I'm considering upgrading to 2GB of memory. For some asinine reason MicroSoft bullied the manufacturers into limiting netbooks to ship with only 1GB RAM! Getting off the MicroSoft teet was one big reason I wanted a MacBook.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. We are Microsoft.

I am anxiously awaiting my Dell mini 10V. I just could not pass up the black Friday deal and will definitely enjoy the portability.

Top Bottom