What's new

My new Merkur Progress

Third shave, today, with the Progres on setting #2 , WTG, XTG, ATG. Smooth, enjoyable and BBS shave! I'm really enjoying this baby!

Compared to Futur I can say that setting #2 is much smoother on Progress. When I used The Futur on setting #2 I really felt that I had to be extra cautious, otherwise I would easily end up seeing some serious damage done to my face. The Progress is really much more on the aggressiveness range that my face likes. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Third run with my Progress, same blade (Gillette Silver Blue) but this time dialed up to 3.

My routine is one 'Gillette slide' on face, N/S on neck (ATG just underneath chin) followed by one XTG on cheeks, an ATG on left side of neck and another WTG on right side of neck.

I can tell how close the first pass is by the feed back on the second pass. WHOA, this baby on 3 is CLOSE. On first pass I could really feel the blade, yet it was cutting smoothly and left me with zero marks, cuts or irritation.

What I'm beginning to like about the Progress is when dialed down to minimum it essentially shaves like my 34C, yet can be opened up to really get close (mind you I was all about the pressure and angle to ensure a good finish).

Me likey!

Today I had the fourth shave with this great razor. It was the fifth with this Personna blade. Since I shave daily, my growth wasn't that noticeable because I can really get a closer shave with this gem. So, I decided to try to take some advantage of its adjustable capacities. I made my WTG and XTG passes on setting #2 and ATG on #1. Boy it was a great, smooth and close shave! Tomorrow I'll use a new blade, the Merkur that came with it. I'll be posting the news here.

Oh boy, this was some shave! Merkur Progress and Merkur blade. WTG @3, XTG @2, ATG @1. What a marvelous and enjoyable shave! The more I play with this baby, the more I like it! Now I'm learning why Mantic says what he says about this razor. I can foresee many great shaves ahead.

Oh boy, this was some shave! Merkur Progress and Merkur blade. WTG @3, XTG @2, ATG @1. What a marvelous and enjoyable shave! The more I play with this baby, the more I like it! Now I'm learning why Mantic says what he says about this razor. I can foresee many great shaves ahead.

I'm really liking this razor as well!

The Mergress upgrade doen't just replace the plastic, it also improves the precision of settings/adjustments.

I had my Progress for a number of years, truly enjoyed the close and comfortable shaving experience.

About five years ago, sent the Progress to Eric who converted it to a Mergress XL. Best shaving decision I made in many years of wet shaving.

Great balance, longer handle, weighted just right, usually dial between 1.0 and 1.5 with a thick growth and sensitive skin. So close a shave, I can get away with an every other day shave, the Mergress XL is THAT good!

Progress and Mergress XL... very highly recommended.

I had a short-handled Progress converted to Mergress a couple years back. I liked it at first but soon found it was too heavy and didn't balance right, which made it hard to control. I'll wait for a new batch of Long Handles to show up and try again -- not the XL version with the long adjustment knob, since that appears to be a little too massive for what I'm after. Rather the long handle with short Mergress knob, for its length and balance.

Also waiting for next batch of Mergress' to come out - AUD conversion is going to hurt big time but the price you pay for such a nice razor.
Seems to be very random/luck of the draw finding them in stock - is there any way to know ahead of time when they're coming out?

Finished up shave 4 this morning (same GSB blade), this time on 2 through the whole shave. Still liking this razor!

Today I had the seventh shave with the Progress. The blade is the second one, a Merkur. It was, again, a great shave! WTG - #3 , XTG - #2 , ATG - #1. Smooth, smooth BBS.:thumbup:

Top Bottom