What's new

My new Merkur Progress

Progress is one of my top favorite DE razors of all time

I've had short handle models, long handle models, and a plethora of custom razors built on the Progress head.

Now I am down to only one Progress and it will be sticking around for some time to come.

proxy.php

Gents, my new Progress is in the house. Please check my statements below to make sure I have them correct before a road test tomorrow a.m.

1 - Alignment notch on cap matches triangle on base
2 - Fully tightened, the Progress is at its least blade exposure. Turning the adjustment knob counterclockwise increases blade exposure
3 - It is advisable to try a steeper blade angle at least initially

Does that sound right? Thanks!

Gents, my new Progress is in the house. Please check my statements below to make sure I have them correct before a road test tomorrow a.m.

1 - Alignment notch on cap matches triangle on base
2 - Fully tightened, the Progress is at its least blade exposure. Turning the adjustment knob counterclockwise increases blade exposure
3 - It is advisable to try a steeper blade angle at least initially

Does that sound right? Thanks!

I'm not sure about the steep angle. The Progress is one of my favorites, and in my experience it does perform brilliantly using a steep angle, but I use mine on 4.5 or 5. Fully tightened, or set to 1 at least, most likely it won't allow a steep angle due to reduced blade exposure. So I suggest that you start with a shallow blade angle, handle almost parallel to the floor.

Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup1:

I'm not sure about the steep angle. The Progress is one of my favorites, and in my experience it does perform brilliantly using a steep angle, but I use mine on 4.5 or 5. Fully tightened, or set to 1 at least, most likely it won't allow a steep angle due to reduced blade exposure. So I suggest that you start with a shallow blade angle, handle almost parallel to the floor.

Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup1:

Will do, thanks!

If I have a Gillette Slim and a Gillette Fat Boy, is there anything that a Progress would do for me that those two do not? My guess is the Progress can be more aggressive if that's an option I want.

Due to this thread of nothing but positivity for this razor, I have just ordered my first DE. I have 14 straights, and I'm now trying the safety razor game out. Thank you!

One thing I forgot mentioning is that this baby is a nice singer. That was something I loved about the Futur. It is the best "singer" that can shave a man's beard. The Progress is a little calmer, but it's a great singer too! :) My second shave was also great and, today, I was more at ease holding it. It's not that it's difficult, it's just different from EJ/Mühle. It can only get better.

If I have a Gillette Slim and a Gillette Fat Boy, is there anything that a Progress would do for me that those two do not? My guess is the Progress can be more aggressive if that's an option I want.

I think, from what I've read, that you're correct. But I can't confirm that because I haven't used none of those razors. :001_smile

I know, and accept, that some of us don't like the plastic adjusting knob. As a matter of fact, I didn't use to like it until I started to see it as part of a great design of a safety razor. It is part of it, right from its origin. And I really love traditional things. That's part of the appeal for having started wet shaving with a DE safety razor. :biggrin1: And it's like those great shaving brushes that have a plastic handle. They match each other! Of course, some may prefer plastic handles, others metal, others, like me, wood. And that's what's great about all this: options; we have options! :biggrin1: And I admit that I've already seen some transformations of the Progress that are aesthetically fabulous. :thumbup1: But I've also seen some that are really awful. This is another YMMV aspect of traditional wet shaving that makes it so interesting and enriches our experience. So, I hope that Merkur doesn't replace the existing model, but I would gladly accept other versions coming out of their factory, so that they could please more customers. But, I think that many of us really love it the way it is and the others love the possibility of having it the way they "really" want. :thumbup:

They've been making it with that same plastic knob since 1955/'56. I really don't think they'll change that just because a few don't like it.

I used my long handle Progress today and as always the shave was superb. So smooth and efficient. The plastic knob doesn't bother me at all, in fact I think it looks cool. YMMV and all that.

Once aligned as described, with witness mark and triangle matching, there's not a blade that doesn't deliver an excellent shave with the Progress. After years of practice, it's all about technique; and part of that is learning how to listen to the unique sound it makes.

Congrats on getting one, it's a great razor!

Just gave my new long handle Progress a run this morning. Very nice shave!

I opted for the long handle which is comparable to the length of the Super 109 "Black Beauty" (approximately 1/8" shorter overall than the vintage Gillette).

Left the adjustment at its lowest setting (knob fully clockwise) with a new Gillette Silver Blue and as per Edgar's advice, did not use an overly steep angle - more or less the same angle of attack as I would use with most any of my DE's. The feedback from this razor was noticeable louder than any other razor I can remember!

This razor is definitely solid and heavy. It may be one of the heaviest razors I have now. No issues with the shave. Will be using it the rest of the week and beyond. I'm now solidly in the Progress club.

Once I have some more shaves down I will be able to give a better personal comparison between it and the vintage adjustables.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm a relatively new Progress user and love it too. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites. I think the plastic knob looks cool.

Currently shave with the Merkur Futur & the Merkur Long-Handle Progress/Mergress, both on the #2 setting. Great shaves with those! However, I am adventuresome, and I ordered a ATT Colossus R1 yesterday. Can't wait until it comes! Looking for a BBS from this razor as well!

Top Bottom