What's new

My new Lather Catcher a 1906?

Picked this up after I let a different one slip through my fingers. Excellent shape, the box and blade holders as well. Seems like a gem blade fits, having trouble finding threads for some reason on them.
IMG_20210825_173117317_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210825_173100741_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210825_173100741_HDR.jpg

G

Guest2023

Congratulations! I find ER lathercatcher a bit aggressive for my taste. but it surely is a beautiful one.

I love my ER gem 1912 styles. Still have a mini lather Catcher to try as well. I like them because they have insane style and work so well. My newer razors I like because they are so over built. Each tool has a use.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Your lather catcher is in great shape if not brand new. Fred @Flintstone65 is a keener on Lather catchers he might be able to help you.

Great find, looks like a very well kept razor, rare indeed. Dating lather catchers is difficult, but from the looks, it should date from roughly 1906-1911 time frame. as long as the blade stops aren’t worn down/broken, any single edge blade will fit just fine and lock down. I find them very efficient while also being mild shavers with a lot of audible feedback—they work especially well with a GEM PTFE Blade. I’ve used one to take a months worth of growth off without a problem, but can also be a daily driver. I have two just like yours; one with the black lacquered wooden handle in the case, while the other one has the same metal handle but no case. Have you been able the take the stropping attachment out of the handle yet? Mine was wedged in pretty good, but i was able to soak it inDawn a while and then pop it loose by screwing another lather catcher handle into the bottom of the metal handle and it came loose. Once it’s out, you can unscrew the handle from the head and screw the stropping attachment onto the handle—modern blades won’t fit because the stropping attachment is sized for the vintage wedge and thick spined blades, but it’s a cool feature hidden in the handle.
2F12A7E5-20B7-4D39-9DF8-7C56E691345B.jpeg0C92CF6C-1D5E-4E06-BDFD-2472C48F83BF.jpegDF97F474-BE6B-471A-BA3B-39ACA0D7C4B4.jpeg

It's in great shape for sure. The stropping handle comes out just fine. That was checked on already. I'll get better pictures tonight, I'll use it this weekend. I've been stuck on setting 8 on my N4 Slim lately, it's a great shaver as well. Takes a few days for enough growth to shave again. To many hours at work.

The pics don't do it justice, either way, it's one of the few razors I was still wanting. Last count I was over 40 or 50 safety razors and a couple dozen straights. My want list is down to maybe a brass Blackland , a big straight 8/8 from one place and maybe a de from another place I can't recall lol. New old house and trying to finish my bucket list of guns in the next couple years is working in me lol. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom