What's new

My new kampfe lather catcher

The shave was fun. Though I am unable to get anything off my neck with a WTG pass. It feels like it drags at points. And the chin is a royal pain but I enjoyed it. Anyone else find it drags or do i just need to strop my blades?

I would say i

I'm sure the wedge needs a good stropping at least. I use mine with a modern blade and don't remember any issues (But it has been a long time since I used it)

I can't use a modern one because its got no blade stops. I'm going to get a strop but I think that it would benefit from a hone too.

Congratulations! You are the proud owner of an 1896 Kampfe Bros. Star Lather Catcher. The case is probably original, as this razor was sold in a boxed set with two blades called "The Gem." At the time there was no confusion, as Gem Cutlery Co. would not be founded until 1898.

One of the founders of Gem Cutlery Co. was Jeremiah Reichard who had previously been an employee of the Kampfe Bros. Who knows, perhaps he had a hand in the naming of this set and being really fond of the name "Gem" later used it for his own company.

The wedge blades are carbon steel and the edges deteriorate over time. They will definitely need to be honed in order to get an acceptable shave. They should be stropped before and after each use.

These razors are indeed quite aggressive. Keep in mind that their original owners had probably previously used a straight razor.

These sets are quite rare. Enjoy!

--Bob

Congratulations! You are the proud owner of an 1896 Kampfe Bros. Star Lather Catcher. The case is probably original, as this razor was sold in a boxed set with two blades called "The Gem." At the time there was no confusion, as Gem Cutlery Co. would not be founded until 1898.

One of the founders of Gem Cutlery Co. was Jeremiah Reichard who had previously been an employee of the Kampfe Bros. Who knows, perhaps he had a hand in the naming of this set and being really fond of the name "Gem" later used it for his own company.

The wedge blades are carbon steel and the edges deteriorate over time. They will definitely need to be honed in order to get an acceptable shave. They should be stropped before and after each use.

These razors are indeed quite aggressive. Keep in mind that their original owners had probably previously used a straight razor.

These sets are quite rare. Enjoy!

--Bob

Wow thanks for the detailed info. I had been considering selling this for a modern DE for ease but I'm going to persevere and learn since i have a quality piece of history.

Top Bottom