What's new

My new Gillette Old Type ADJUSTABLE

Ah, right. Let's see a pic once you get your O rings.

I got my O rings via eBay UK, a little bit distant from sunny Texas. They're simply Silicone O Rings, 4mm ID and 8mm OD. I imagine any hardware store would have them in your neck of the woods.
You implying I live in the woods? :p

Interesting. How does it compare to shimming?
Well, seeing as you asked Hoka Hey, I thought I'd better try it out.

I inserted one 20mm wide shim between the blade and the baseplate:
upload_2017-6-18_3-56-3.png

Yesterday's "close shave" position using the O Ring looked like this:
upload_2017-6-18_3-59-29.png

And here's today's "plus one shim" view:
upload_2017-6-18_4-2-19.png

Which increased the gap a tad more.

The shave was fine but it didn't feel as silky smooth as yesterdays "close shave" position with the O Ring. Just to continue the experimentation I'll shave with two shims installed tomorrow and report back.

Well, I hadn't thought of it that way, but I do believe the o ring would will grab and hold the blade in place better than the washer, giving it more stability and as you have demonstrated, more flexibility. Will you kindly share your source for the o rings? Thanks!

I purchased mine at Home Depot in the pluming department.

ANOTHER SHIMSHAVE FOR @Hoka Hey

Today (as promised) I did a two shim shave:
upload_2017-6-19_0-57-12.png

This upped the gap quite a bit and was a very nice shave. But, as I have more aggressive razors I'm going to stop there, and in fact I intend going back to my OE Old Type next shave.

EXPERIMENT SUMMARY:
I've enjoyed this. Out of all the shaves (Standard, O Ring + Washer "Close," One Shim, and Two Shim) I liked the Gillette "close" shave best. But, considering the very small amounts of difference in the shave, the hassle of playing around with O Rings and Washers seems a little pointless. A shim, or multiple shims, are easier... but once again really too much hassle bearing in mind that a shave with the bare "Original Equipment" isn't that much different.
That's IMO of course. :wink2: :laugh:

Top Bottom