What's new

My New Garand from CMP

I got a "service grade" International Harvester Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. CMP takes old GI Garands and replaces as required to make them shooters. The one I got has only two or three parts that are made by IHC (receiver, bolt, and maybe front sight assembly); the rest seem to be old surplus made by Springfield Armory. It also has a new walnut stock with a CMP cartouche. It seems most Garands have had some parts replaced over the service life so "mix master" Garands are pretty much what you find. I also have a "service grade" H&R manufacture Garand from CMP and that one does have mostly original parts.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

Pics below are after 5 coats of boiled linseed oil.

20180810_215528.jpg
20180810_215547.jpg
20180810_215551.jpg

Attachments

• 20180810_215557.jpg
    20180810_215557.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
That's one good looking rifle. I have one that was put out by Springfield Armory sometimes back in the 90's. A new Receiver, barrel and stock, along with some surplus parts ( I think). It shoots fine, I enjoy plinking with it, shooting coke cans at 50-60 yards offhand and bouncing them around. I don't know what they did but it is one of the slickest actions I have, it will feed an entire clip of empty cases without a jam, manually operating of course.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
OH nice!

That's what Dad carried mostly overseas, besides a Thompson and BAR.

I may need to look at getting one.

We had a family friend who was a Lt. in the Remagen battle and on into Germany. They had initially issued him a carbine but he said it was not too effected against personnel in heavy winter clothing, so he got a Thompson.

I live about 25 miles from the CMP at Talladega,Ala. Looked at the same rifle 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking of getting one. Nice rifle.

Top Bottom