What's new

My new Feathered friend.

Last week a pack of Feathers arrived from Thailand, courtesy of one of our board members. Because I heard all kind of horror stories about these blades turning a perfectly usable face into so much hamburger, I delayed using it until Saturday. I can live with a few nicks in the weekend but sitting in a meeting with blood on my collar is a bit to much "Twilight" even for me.

So I prepared well, took a shower, used hot towels; the whole enchillada. Then the moment of truth arrived. I took one blade out of it's pack of 5 and peeled the wax paper off. First impression was that the blade looks different from all other brands I tried. It's not shiny but dull silver, like it was made out of titanium or magnesium.. It fits however perfectly in my Gillette Ariistocrat. Good thing was that the day before I found my beloved handmade Silvertip again, which had been lost in the moving crates (I've moved house last month). I've commisioned the bathroom on the third floor to use as my shaving den and boy, is it nice!

I had the ultimate set up for an enjoyable shave. I decided to go with the Omega (proraso) soap. I love the scent of eucalyptus in the morning! I applied the lather thick on my face and waited a few minutes for the soap to do it's softening magic. Then the moment of thruth; the first stroke.... There was no tearing, no scratching, nothing.. I finished my left cheek (wtg) and rinsed it off. My beard grows really fast so I always have plenty of stuble in the morning, even after the first pass. This time however; baby smooth!

Most importantly, there were no nicks or cuts. Not even after finishing my face and moving to my neck, always my most sensitive part. The neck went well and the second part (xtg) made the whole experience complete.

The result: butter smoothness with no irritation, cuts or nicks :biggrin:

The Feathers have replaced my Gillette Ultrathins as the daily blade of choice. With a hundred pack I have enough to last a good while. I'm on my third shave now and think I can get a fifth before I have to replace the blade.

Last edited:
Last week a pack of Feathers arrived from Thailand, courtesy of one of our board members. Because I heard all kind of horror stories about these blades turning a perfectly usable face into so much hamburger, I delayed using it until Saturday. I can live with a few nicks in the weekend but sitting in a meeting with blood on my collar is a bit to much "Twilight" even for me.

So I prepared well, took a shower, used hot towels; the whole enchillada. Then the moment of truth arrived. I took one blade out of it's pack of 10 and peeled the wax paper off. First impression was that the blade looks different from all other brands I tried. It's not shiny but dull silver, like it was made out of titanium or magnesium.. It fits however perfectly in my Gillette ambassador. Good thing was that the day before I found my beloved handmade Silvertip again, which had been lost in the moving crates (I've moved house last month). I've commisioned the bathroom on the third floor to use as my shaving den and boy, is it nice!

I had the ultimate set up for an enjoyable shave. I decided to go with the Omega (proraso) soap. I love the scent of eucalyptus in the morning! I applied the lather thick on my face and waited a few minutes for the soap to do it's softening magic. Then the moment of thruth; the first stroke.... There was no tearing, no scratching, nothing.. I finished my left cheek (wtg) and rinsed it off. My beard grows really fast so I always have plenty of stuble in the morning, even after the first pass. This time however; baby smooth!

Most importantly, there were no nicks or cuts. Not even after finishing my face and moving to my neck, always my most sensitive part. The neck went well and the second part (xtg) made the whole experience complete.

The result: butter smoothness with no irritation, cuts or nicks :biggrin:

The Feathers have replaced my Gillette Ultrathins as the daily blade of choice. With a hundred pack I have enough to last a good while. I'm on my third shave now and think I can get a fifth before I have to replace the blade.

Howdy, were your feathers the same as pictured or was the sleeve yellow? You said 10 pk mine were in pks of 5.
Just curious, glad the shave was great!

Ted

Sorry, I wrote this before my first coffee today. The razor is an Aristocrat and the pack contains 5 blades. The sleeve was not yellow but greyish :confused:

Feathers are wonderful blades in my opinion. And if you buy them from some of the members here (Pureslab for example. He has the new black pakage ones, which are the same as the Yellow package ones, but different from the old black package ones...man that was a lot), they're not that expensive. Same price as the yellow 7 O'clocks, which are in 2nd place to feathers in my opinion.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive to see how they do. I am going to try them first in my Gillette Tech to see if I can get a bit of an improvement (it is a very mild razor) and if I do I will be extremely happy.

..michael

Top Bottom