What's new

My New Custom 7-Day Set from TI

Steve Dempster from www.thiers-issard.co.uk has just shipped me a custom 7-day set that he helped me order.

The blades are 6/8 LeGrelot 3/4 to full hollow ground. The scales are legal ivory and the days of the week are engraved in Italian.

You can see some pretty pictures on Steve's site here.

I'm also uploading a couple of pictures that Steve took right out the box.

Just for chuckles, so I can drive SWMBO wild for my birthday gift, what did they set you back?

I'm really embarrased to say the number because I must have been temporarily insane (I'll explain below how I managed to talk myself into it). But you can assume that the average custom razor costs about $500.00.

It all started with my idea of opening a barber shop that would give traditional straight razor shaves. The set was intended to be used to promote the shop as a luxury service. I was going to offer the set for sale as a gift for the man who has everything, unique in the world, which it is, and bundle it with a year of shaves, fixed appointment, five days week. Well, the barbershop idea isn't going anywhere for a lot of reasons and here I am having talked myself into the set I've always wanted. Convenient, eh?

That is a truly beautiful set, ivory would be my choice too if I had the money to burn on such a set.
Shame about the shop idea not working out, but I'm glad you at least got your dream seven day set out of it.

I'm really embarrased to say the number because I must have been temporarily insane (I'll explain below how I managed to talk myself into it). But you can assume that the average custom razor costs about $500.00.

It all started with my idea of opening a barber shop that would give traditional straight razor shaves. The set was intended to be used to promote the shop as a luxury service. I was going to offer the set for sale as a gift for the man who has everything, unique in the world, which it is, and bundle it with a year of shaves, fixed appointment, five days week. Well, the barbershop idea isn't going anywhere for a lot of reasons and here I am having talked myself into the set I've always wanted. Convenient, eh?

So how much more than 3500 did it cost :lol:.

That set is gorgeous though. Goodness gracious I would be worried to shave with those :w00t:.

You have to tell us how much it cost so that we can tell you what a great deal you got on the set. How else are we going to enable you :confused:

So how much more than 3500 did it cost :lol:.

That set is gorgeous though. Goodness gracious I would be worried to shave with those :w00t:.

$3500 is actually what it cost, so from a "market" point of view, I think the price was fair, especially if you consider that it was TI that made it. I was actually surprised that they took the trouble. They have all they can do to keep up with sales of their standard razors and yet they still took the trouble to do this for me. I am really very grateful to TI and also to Steve Dempster who was very patient with me. For example, I didn't have the cash (neither TI or Steve take credit cards and Paypal wouldn't let me use a credit card) and offered to make payments over five months. TI reserved the blanks and waited. When TI's cost was covered, the razors went into production and I made the rest of the payments while TI was making them. If I hadn't finished paying, Steve could have ended up with a "white elephant" (pun intended) but, as it worked out, the elephant is mine.

i'm not into sets usually but that is really nice :thumbup1:

You know, from a practical point of view, I'm not either. I mean, how many razors does someone actually need? One to shave with (which can last a lifetime) and a spare, that's it.

I thought of buying one of the vintage sets that come on the market from time to time, but the problem there is that you never know how they actually shave until you get them. I have a rotation of very nice razors, a couple of Livi regrinds, a Filarmonica, a Friodur, a Worldmaster, etc. (all new or NOS). All nice razors. When I was working on the barbershop project, I bought a bunch of steel-scaled razors. Wapi's, of course, a Dovo and, by chance, a custom LeGrelot with steel scales that someone had TI make custom that I bought on SRP. The first time I shaved with it, I thought, Wow!, this is the razor for me. And after that, I never wanted to shave with any of my other razors. That's why I chose the LeGrelot for the set.

The set won't arrive until next week and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm certainly going to take it around to show all the barbers I've been talking to, but I have a hard time imaginging myself actually shaving with it. Who knows, if I put it away in the closet, in a hundred years it could sell on eBay for $500.00. Aw, what the hell, I think I'll just shave with it.

You have to tell us how much it cost so that we can tell you what a great deal you got on the set. How else are we going to enable you :confused:

I don't think that I can stand being anymore enabled. It's going to be tough to find another razor to buy ... but wait, there's soaps and creams... and aftershaves... pre-shaves...

Gorgeous... if the days were in english - i'd have to trade you some stuff from the private reserve for 'em. :biggrin:

Top Bottom