Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
16168749355268758675507080589285.jpg
1616875016665809517483606477269.jpg

On goes a coat of Obenauf's ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Very nice boots. I like commando soles on boots since I generally wear them in snow and mud.

this company offers a choice of different soles, and have recently added the "large lug" sole, which is the one I got. They basically make the boots when you order them, so there is no additional charge for choice of sole.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Solid looking boot. 👍

Definitely prefer the honey-color. And with the application of Obenauf darkening it just a bit, gives it a richer, deeper hue.

Curious as to why the Goodyear welt stitching only goes around the front of the boot and not all the way around.

795B6F03-85E5-4F0D-9390-8022F74E79DE.jpeg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I found this video of their manufacture method. Pretty cool.

So there's two stitching methods here. I'm not sure what the first one is, looks like a blake stitch method but the second pull where they stitch the outer leather of the toe cap is the Veldtschoen method I believe not a Goodyear welt. Very interesting to see them doing it this way.

Solid boot construction indeed. These should last a very long time if looked after.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
is the Veldtschoen method I believe not a Goodyear welt. Very interesting to see them doing it this way.

It is very interesting. So the Veldtschoen stitching provides better waterproofing than the regular Goodyear welt stitching. Solid boot indeed.

Do they make a desert boot with Veldtschoen stitching? 😉

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It is very interesting. So the Veldtschoen stitching provides better waterproofing than the regular Goodyear welt stitching. Solid boot indeed.

Do they make a desert boot with Veldtschoen stitching? 😉

The Mckinlay boots I just bought are made using Veldtschoen stitching, all their shoes and boots are made that way. You were looking at them already. :wink2:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Mckinlay boots I just bought are made using Veldtschoen stitching, all their shoes and boots are made that way. You were looking at them already. :wink2:

The Gibson Donkey Suede! Consider memory jogged. 😀

Did you pull the trigger on a pair?

@Doc4

How goes it with the break-in? I hear bison, being tougher than calf (.. not cattle 😉), may have a longer break-in period.

Sorry to bump this up from the dead....
I'm looking at ordering a pair, but I was wondering if you could help with a few questions.
Do these have a generous toe box?
Origin recommended ordering a wide size, but I've got a pretty narrow heel. Any thoughts on that?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sorry to bump this up from the dead....
I'm looking at ordering a pair, but I was wondering if you could help with a few questions.
Do these have a generous toe box?
Origin recommended ordering a wide size, but I've got a pretty narrow heel. Any thoughts on that?
Everyone has a different opinion of "wide" vs. "narrow" and I don't have experience with a lot of other boot brands to compare per se.

The toe box never struck me as being particularly cramped. I'm sure other brands have a roomier one, and yet others have a tighter one.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Top Bottom