Staff member
On the box ...
IMG_20210313_1429275.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The boots come in fancy cloth bags ...

IMG_20210313_1444412.jpg

... which is the same fabric they originally made for their first product ... BJJ gi.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In late January I ordered a pair of boots from Origin Maine. I went with the bison leather ones, with the big lug soles. Apparently, they make each pair when the order comes in, so you can select from various sole options as well as eyelet options. They say it has a 6-8 week wait for the boots to be made.

A little while later, they contacted me ... long story short, their most recent shipment of buffalo leather was a lot lighter brown than the old stock.
1615763783099.png

So, they gave me the option of having a "new" honey-brown pair made now, or I could wait for the next shipment of "old" dark brown. Well, not only do I want it "now" but ... I actually prefer the lighter brown anyhow.

The boots arrived Friday.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IMG_20210313_1447152.jpg

Okay ... so ... yes, they are made in the USA. The boots are unlined, and have a rather fancy logo stamped onto the tongue ... but once I lace them up, it's basically hidden.
IMG_20210313_1447050.jpg
IMG_20210313_1446483.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
More detail photos ...
IMG_20210313_1448037.jpg
IMG_20210313_1448235.jpg

The visible welt stitching only goes around the front half of the boot. There is, also, a discrete logo stamped into the outside of the side-heel as well.
IMG_20210313_1449006.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So, ordering was pretty straight-forward. One nice thing is they have a "Sizing Guide" you can print off and use to figure out what size to order. (I did, and it told me to order a 12 ... which I did. The boots fit well, with "regular chunky" socks ... I don't need extra-thick socks to fill out the boot ... and somehow doubt that would be a comfortable fit!)

I wore them around the house most of the day yesterday, and initial reactions are positive. The leather is quite substantial, so a break-in time is needed, and just begun! Eventually yesterday I got some discomfort on the outside of my feet about halfway down the foot ... which brought back memories of breaking in my pair of Gentleman Travellers all those years ago ... so this is not a cause for concern, just an indication that the break-in process is needed.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Wow, nice kicks! They look great. I love Origin’s story. Finding an old rusty loom in upstate Maine. Hiring some old timers to get it running to start making Jujitsu gis. Partnering with SEAL badass Jocko Wilinks. Start making jeans along with the gis. Then the boots. Just a cool company.

So, ordering was pretty straight-forward. One nice thing is they have a "Sizing Guide" you can print off and use to figure out what size to order. (I did, and it told me to order a 12 ... which I did. The boots fit well, with "regular chunky" socks ... I don't need extra-thick socks to fill out the boot ... and somehow doubt that would be a comfortable fit!)

I wore them around the house most of the day yesterday, and initial reactions are positive. The leather is quite substantial, so a break-in time is needed, and just begun! Eventually yesterday I got some discomfort on the outside of my feet about halfway down the foot ... which brought back memories of breaking in my pair of Gentleman Travellers all those years ago ... so this is not a cause for concern, just an indication that the break-in process is needed.

Nice boots!!! When I first saw them I thought they looked a lot like Gentleman Travellers. I am just about ready for a resole on my Gentleman Travellers. They have been great boots, but as you said that break period took some time.

Top Bottom