What's new

My new Blackland Tradere has arrived (photo heavy)

I'm reading all I can about this razor. Is it in my future, is it not in my future? I need a Blackland in my stable of all vintage.

I was going to wait a little longer but after 11 shaves can give a preliminary review. The Blackland Tradere SB shouts quality and precision. It is a razor that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional. I’m a daily shaver and generally prefer a more mild razor. My most used razor has been a Timeless Titanium 0.68 SB and after speaking with Shane chose the SB rather than the OC to best meet my needs.

This razor is much different than the Timeless Titanium neither in a good way nor a bad way, just different. First the weight is much heavier and the handle significantly longer. The blade is held flat rather than flexed and while I don’t know what the gap is, it appears much bigger with perhaps slightly less blade exposure. The razor is much quieter than most of my other razors. As I said there are significant differences but not for the better or worse.

What became apparent was that light pressure with a light razor is not necessarily light with the extra weight of this razor. I also choked up on the handle effectively shortening it. Once I stopped fighting the handle length and extra weight, the razor began to shine. It is smooth and efficient with a shallow angle and at cost to efficiency feels like there is no blade on a very steep angle. I’m now comfortable with a neutral to slightly shallow angle and really enjoying a smooth and efficient razor.

In summary, getting used to the extra weight of the head and allowing the longer handle to provide good balance, this razor is a keeper. Looking at the beauty of the razor makes it even better. I have found that because of the high polish and look, I spend more time with a microfiber towel wiping off fingerprints and any other spots that might appear

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I was going to wait a little longer but after 11 shaves can give a preliminary review. The Blackland Tradere SB shouts quality and precision. It is a razor that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional. I’m a daily shaver and generally prefer a more mild razor. My most used razor has been a Timeless Titanium 0.68 SB and after speaking with Shane chose the SB rather than the OC to best meet my needs.

This razor is much different than the Timeless Titanium neither in a good way nor a bad way, just different. First the weight is much heavier and the handle significantly longer. The blade is held flat rather than flexed and while I don’t know what the gap is, it appears much bigger with perhaps slightly less blade exposure. The razor is much quieter than most of my other razors. As I said there are significant differences but not for the better or worse.

What became apparent was that light pressure with a light razor is not necessarily light with the extra weight of this razor. I also choked up on the handle effectively shortening it. Once I stopped fighting the handle length and extra weight, the razor began to shine. It is smooth and efficient with a shallow angle and at cost to efficiency feels like there is no blade on a very steep angle. I’m now comfortable with a neutral to slightly shallow angle and really enjoying a smooth and efficient razor.

In summary, getting used to the extra weight of the head and allowing the longer handle to provide good balance, this razor is a keeper. Looking at the beauty of the razor makes it even better. I have found that because of the high polish and look, I spend more time with a microfiber towel wiping off fingerprints and any other spots that might appear
Excellent summary!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Nice review. :)

Glad to hear the handle arrived safely!

If anyone has a lead with the Weber designer(s) I'd definitely consider it. But frankly I don't find the Weber to be nearly as special as the Tradere from a design standpoint. I think it's a great shaver at the right price point (when new), but it doesn't strike me visually. Regarding future razors, keep an eye out this fall/winter for something in a different direction.
A slant...please, please, please.

I am considering getting a timless 0.68 or Blackland Tradere are you still prefer the Tradere over the Timeless?
Appreciate your thoughts.

A slant...please, please, please.
: 10886648, member: 112632"]

[/QUOTE]

I am considering getting a timless 0.68 or Blackland Tradere are you still prefer the Tradere over the Timeless?
Appreciate your thoughts.

: 10886648, member: 112632"]

[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what is happening with the quote, but the slant part should not be attributed to me.

I have now used my Tradere SB exactly 360 times and it is my favorite razor. I rarely use anything else. The Timeless Titanium while a great razor in its own right has become my travel razor to give it some use.

As time has gone by, I now use this razor at a steep angle with no loss in efficiency. The “flat” blade took a little bit of time to fully get used to but was well worth the small learning curve.

For me, if I could only have one razor, it would be the Blackland Tradere SB.

And the Tradere OC is my favourite razor of all too. It is super-efficient - gives me consistently very close shaves similar to my Blackbird, Timeless Slim 0.5 and Timeless Bronze 0.78, but it is smoother and more comfortable than any of those. There is a little blade feel, which I like, but not at all excessive. You can feel where the blade is, but it never feels harsh or especially blade-forward.

Thanks for the reply,
I just ordered the OC version, hope it works for me as well! What blade do you pair with it ?

Cheers

I’m not sure what is happening with the quote, but the slant part should not be attributed to me.

I have now used my Tradere SB exactly 360 times and it is my favorite razor. I rarely use anything else. The Timeless Titanium while a great razor in its own right has become my travel razor to give it some use.

As time has gone by, I now use this razor at a steep angle with no loss in efficiency. The “flat” blade took a little bit of time to fully get used to but was well worth the small learning curve.

For me, if I could only have one razor, it would be the Blackland Tradere SB.
[/QUOTE]

Javad, I always use Feathers or Personnas. I like a sharp blade and they work great for me.

The OC Tradere is the Generation 1 Tradere design and the SB is the Gen 2, which was made to be less “aggressive”. So the OC is not simply the SB with an open comb - they are different designs. But honestly the OC is nothing to be scared of at all. I haven’t used the SB but the OC should be more efficient and give a closer shave with less work than your Tradere SB or your Timeless 0.68. For me that equates to less irritation and a better shave, but we all have different skin and facial hair. I hope you like it - I think you will - and I would be interested to hear your impressions when you’ve used it. I am curious how the two compare as I have considered also getting the SB but am unsure if it may be too mild for me.

Last edited:
I’ll definitely give my feedback as soon as I receive mine!
Just got an email that the razor was shipped but no sure how long is gonna take to reach Australia.
Javad, I always use Feathers or Personnas. I like a sharp blade and they work great for me.

The OC Tradere is the Generation 1 Tradere design and the SB is the Gen 2, which was made to be less “aggressive”. So the OC is not simply the SB with an open comb - they are different designs. But honestly the OC is nothing to be scared of at all. I haven’t used the SB but the OC should be more efficient and give a closer shave with less work than your Tradere SB or your Timeless 0.68. For me that equates to less irritation and a better shave, but we all have different skin and facial hair. I hope you like it - I think you will - and I would be interested to hear your impressions when you’ve used it. I am curious how the two compare as I have considered also getting the SB but am unsure if it may be too mild for me.

Not that I would ever spend $265 for a razor, but at that price I would expect perfection. All that dough and it’s nicked up.

I was a big fan of the original Tradere. For me, I actually like the satin look better than a high polish; I suspect I am in a minority here.
Ended up selling my SB Tradere. Have three similar razors in my stable: Pils, original all brass Ikon SBS, and the iKon stainless steel S3S. Still thinking about the Blackland Tradere; I would have to unload at least one of these other razors to do it, though. Don't really need FOUR razors that are stylistically and functionally very similar.

Not that I would ever spend $265 for a razor, but at that price I would expect perfection. All that dough and it’s nicked up.
You are aware, are you not, that Shane at Blackland replaced the handle for free? Not ok to come into the thread this late and make a negative comment when the problem was completely resolved to the OP's satisfaction........

You are aware, are you not, that Shane at Blackland replaced the handle for free? Not ok to come into the thread this late and make a negative comment when the problem was completely resolved to the OP's satisfaction........
I saw that. I came in from the beginning of the thread. It was replaced, yes, but why was it nicked up to begin with? At that price point there should be perfect QC.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GNR
Top Bottom