What's new

My new best friend.

$image.jpg

It's a Lipshaw Rotating Microtome strop, one side has a rubberized diamond patterned strop and the other is leather. It was used back in the day to hone microtomes and other surgical tools. It works really well on straight razors.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend is hooking me up with a replacement leather component made by Neil Miller and I'm experimenting with the rubberized side, both are usually roached out on most being sold.

Those are cool too, I had one I sold only because I didn't need two of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done some research to determine what exactly went into making the rubberized strop component but haven't found anything yet. The leather component is medium smooth with medium draw, not slick nor rough. Both components on mine are still useable but have seen better days. The Neil Miller leather will definitely be a nice addition but the rubberized strop will take some thought to figure out and replace out because whatever is in there is not topical. Neoprene saturated in CBN or diamond? Maybe.

I've done some research to determine what exactly went into making the rubberized strop component but haven't found anything yet. The leather component is medium smooth with medium draw, not slick nor rough. Both components on mine are still useable but have seen better days. The Neil Miller leather will definitely be a nice addition but the rubberized strop will take some thought to figure out and replace out because whatever is in there is not topical. Neoprene saturated in CBN or diamond? Maybe.

So, instead of "make your own hone" with epoxy and abrasive, "make a strop" with silcone and abrasive........ hhmmmmmmmmm:idea:

http://www.shop.brickintheyard.com/Polygel-35-Pint-Kit-2-Lbs-PG35U2.htm

They come up on eBay and on medical tools sale sites, finding them with useable leather and black Diamond pattern strops is the tricky part.

Jose used to make a diamond pattern leather. I had a piece - good stuff. I still have a slotted pattern piece - also good stuff.
Maybe someone could make one.... won't be rubbery though.

I think a lot of top end sports gloves implement pittards leather still. Drum gloves too I think. They have some very wear resistant leathers.

Sorry to Necro a thread, although its not that dead and buried :001_rolle
I've just got my hands on a Lipshaw and I'm keen to change the surfaces not knowing what the heck has been rubbed into them over the years.
Certainly as it came from a student background, nothing I want near my razors, ergo my BBS face!!!
Of course I never cut myself or hit a weeper now and again , but on the of chance, just an off chance mind you, I may split my finger to the bone honing drunk (seemed a good idea at the time, I had an epiphany for the perfect edge!!) then I'd like the best shot I have of not catching some form of scrofula, mad cow disease or just maybe starting the next zombie apocalypse.
So, anyone catering for the lipshaws at the moment or have any NOS for sale?

P.S styptic pencil, crumbled on alum block in a bandage or prorasso gel doesnt stop "lots of blood" it does sting though... a lot...

Happy new year to you all

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I pick up one of these rotating strops today. I would normally pass on something like this but the leather and black diamond pattern components were usable. Both in surprising good condition for its age and $20 didn’t hurt. After a good cleaning and conditioning, I will have a new toy to play with

7C7AD132-D740-4804-83C3-FED205C9A877.jpeg
9602BCE3-B350-4016-A030-479F6889FE5B.jpeg
E4B0DEF8-EA4A-4A3D-B27D-A0F860774D50.jpeg
E8FB15EA-F9EF-42E1-B2FB-46E7C8B945FC.jpeg
FAABF2F5-28FA-4C1D-99FA-DECC8F4AE694.jpeg

Top Bottom