What's new

My new alum stick

Ok, so I'm one that believes alum is alum is alum. Although it is offered with various names on it at prices from low to rip off, I fall into the category of liking a bargain so call me cheap. The alum that I have used regularly since finding it is the RazoRock (60g) stick because I liked the way it is contained in a tidy container making it easy for storage/travel. Anyway, a few weeks ago while at work, a lady piped in that she had bought a deodorant from Puritans's pride made of alum so curiosity had me looking it up. Indeed, Puritan's does have several alum offerings marketed as a deodorant and in a large (120g) stick for $4.99. It's called Crystal Body Deodorant Stick and for those bent on a small stick, they have that too for under $2 if memory serves me correctly. My next step was to look at the local pharmacy to see if by chance they too would have such an item in the deodorant aisle and yes, the local Rite-Aid sells this same stuff at about $2 more per stick so I picked some up and have been using it in place of the RazoRock for the last couple of weeks and I cannot tell the difference between it and any other alum I have used. The clear observation is, I am getting twice as much product for the same price locally as I had been paying for the RR online. The Crystal also has drain holes (3) in the bottom of the dispenser and the sick is adjustable by twisting the base. The only negative perhaps is the colour of the dispenser but they have an answer for that too, the same product marketed "for men" in a smoke coloured plastic vs. the pink. The Crystal is made in Thailand per package labeling and in doing a little research, I discovered several different brands that I believe are identical products only with different labels. Excuse my crappy photos but they demonstrate the comparison well enough.
$alum1.jpg$alum2.jpg$alum3.jpg

Just don't mistakenly use it on your underarms one day. Heard some funky horror stories about applying it to the face the next day!

It's my understanding that RazoRock uses potassium alum versus the ammonium alum (synthetic) used in the Crystal body deodorant. Now what difference that makes, I'm unsure, but I don't think the two are identical.

It's my understanding that RazoRock uses potassium alum versus the ammonium alum (synthetic) used in the Crystal body deodorant. Now what difference that makes, I'm unsure, but I don't think the two are identical.

I just read the labels of both and you are correct. I too am unsure what the difference is but they both work similarly for me. I just did a google to compare and apparently the ammonium alum has a more opaque appearance than the natural mined stone of potassium alum. However, the RR and Crystal brands that I have are both opaque vs translucent. Both are also made in Thailand FWIW. Curiously, Crystal markets this as an all natural product so perhaps that is just a game of semantics.

I just read the labels of both and you are correct. I too am unsure what the difference is but they both work similarly for me. I just did a google to compare and apparently the ammonium alum has a more opaque appearance than the natural mined stone of potassium alum. However, the RR and Crystal brands that I have are both opaque vs translucent. Both are also made in Thailand FWIW. Curiously, Crystal markets this as an all natural product so perhaps that is just a game of semantics.

From what I understand, the difference is that the ammonium alum will really, really sting, while the potassium alum will tingle or slightly sting. Let us know what you find.

cwm above is correct. Potassium Alum (also known as Potash Alum) is mild, Ammonium Alum is harsh.

-- John Gehman

Folks - Find your local Indian (the far east kind, not the feather-headdress kind) grocer. Natural potassium alum blocks for sale for dirt cheap - like $2 to $3 for one about the size of a deck of cards. They had them loose in a box at the one I went to (Onkar Foods in Kitchener/Waterloo - Ontario Canada) - completely unbranded but work brilliantly.

/Ace

Folks - Find your local Indian (the far east kind, not the feather-headdress kind) grocer. Natural potassium alum blocks for sale for dirt cheap - like $2 to $3 for one about the size of a deck of cards. They had them loose in a box at the one I went to (Onkar Foods in Kitchener/Waterloo - Ontario Canada) - completely unbranded but work brilliantly.

/Ace

Yeah. I got a straight razor shave from a Turkish barber in San Francisco and he used big block of alum on me. He was surprised I knew what it was but said all the Turkish barbers use it and that it is very cheap.

From what I understand, the difference is that the ammonium alum will really, really sting, while the potassium alum will tingle or slightly sting. Let us know what you find.

So far I've not noticed any stinging or other problems although I have short term experience with this product. As with the RR, it has a slight tingling feel when applied after shaving. I shave daily with the following routine: hot shower, lather/shave, cold water rinse, alum and a WH splash once the alum has dried or nearly dried......I don't rinse the alum off. I can't perceive a difference between it and the RR. I think I will do as Ace suggests and try an Indian market to see if I can find some blocks to compare but I will continue using the Crystal as it seems to work.....kid, you'll shoot your eye out

/Ace

Agree, for $2 you can get a block of natural alum from Indian grocer that will last you a lifetime. In South California, even a "spice" store has alum bin.

Been using this for years as an anti perspirant. Glad to know I can use it for shaving if needed.
It's amazing the things we use and don't know what they are.

Been using this for years as an anti perspirant. Glad to know I can use it for shaving if needed.
Just remember not to use the same alum you've been using for a deodorant/anti-perspirant on your face. There have been several reported cases on here and elsewhere of subsequent problems when you double dip.

Just remember not to use the same alum you've been using for a deodorant/anti-perspirant on your face. There have been several reported cases on here and elsewhere of subsequent problems when you double dip.

I've been doing it for 36 years without problems, rinsing &rubbing the block well between applications, I don't worry about wasting it since it's inexpensive.

Alum is seriously one of the most overpriced shaving product that you can buy. I recommend you to visit a local Indian grocery store and look for alum, sometimes middle eastern grocers will have them as well. I bought one the size of my fist for a little under 4 dollars. Also, potassium alum is the natural alum that is mined. Cultures around the world uses it for deodorant, aftershave, and some times culinary as well. You can usually buy powdered alum in the herb section at WalMart. You can use the synthetic alum, but some people reported that it causes irritation. So, to err on the safe side, just buy good old cheap potassium alum.

That Crystal alum above is the best deodorant I've ever used. Period.
The RR alum I also have will last me quite a while...

Cheers

They are different, but many people cannot tell the difference. If it burns....go back to the Razorock. If it works the same, good deal.

Top Bottom