What's new

My new alum stick

The Crystal Deoderant stick is the only Alum I have used since I started wetshaving. One stick has lasted me nearly two years, and it looks like I can probably get another two years (at least) out of it.

+1 on buying alum block at your local Indian grocery store. I just purchased a 125 gram block at my local store for $2.50, and it works great. If you don't have access to such a store, Bestshave.net has a good deal (about $2.50 for 70 grams), which I've used. So does Connaught, which offers several brands ranging from inexpensive to expensive.

+1 on the Bestshave.net alum, I threw it in with a order of brushes. I've had it 6 months and I'll get at least 1 more year out of it!

Alum might be alum to some but for some reason Crystal sticks destroy me. I used it ONE time and a couple hours later I had the worst rash of my life. I'm talking oozing blisters that took over a month to fully heal, my underarm areas looked like I had leprosy and it felt like I had severe sunburn mixed with poison ivy. That was 7 months ago and I still have some discoloration and scarring from the blisters, I'm thankful I didn't use it on my face before finding out. On the other hand I religiously use the Shavex 110g block for shaving and have zero issues, it's not dirt cheap but it's $8 at a couple of our B&B supported vendors which I think is a fair price considering the size and decent little case it comes with.

Last edited:
I have used Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal in the regular twist-up, wide stick version (potassium alum) and the travel size (ammonium alum, though it looks just like Razorock in size & shape), as well as Bloc Osma. I can't tell any difference in terms of sting on my face after a shave. They also all work equally well for making my fingers grippy enough to handle a slippery wet razor. The Bloc Osma eventually took on a glassy smoothness before I dropped and shattered it. Neither of the deodorants have gotten that smooth.

Top Bottom