What's new

My new Ahab stinks! Literally.

If I shake my Arab it will leak, or rather throw ink all over the place. I made the mistake of journaling in bed the other day and moved my hand across the page quickly and ended up throwing a large drop of ink onto my sheets staining them green as I have it loaded with J Herbin Lierre Sauvage.

Other than the smell that is the only complaint I have about the pen.

I have the opposite problem... mine are too dry unless I fiddle with them and adjust the nib/feed to get enough flow to keep up with my writing let alone keeping up with flexing. If I don't use them continually, they can be slow to start. I have done some scrubbing of the feeds to make sure there were no oils in them, but I haven't tried them again. I am going to wait to try them with an eel ink.

I have never taken the nib/feed assembly apart on mine.

Well there is part of the problem, these things are not made to write with, but to waste hours of time taking apart and cleaning and adjusting. I think it is actually a plot to make you buy more ink, you dump it out, clean it and it works for a while, then stops so you dump more ink out and clean it again and the cycle goes on and on. I think I have filled mine 6 or 7 times but have perhaps 2 pages of actual writing with it. Don't get me wrong I love it, just like I loved my 1972 MG Midget that never went more than 500 miles between breakdowns. Sure it was fun to drive, but it was just as much fun to take it apart and put it back together. Heck I rebuilt the duel carburetors on my desk in the dorm in college. Oh and mine stinks too but not too bad. The Amber one is slightly less smelly than the Pumpkin, but then again it is a bit older and has been sitting in my pen holder a few weeks longer. Mine tends to be too dry as well, but I can make it spit ink if I shake it hard enough, Bay Sate Blue spots on my desk are proof enough of that.

Top Bottom