What's new

My "new" '78 Super Adjustable (Black Beauty)

I have a problem with one part of your statement. 78 is my birth year, so I have to argue this, 39 years of soap scum, not 40.

That cleaned up very nicely. It surprises me how little these can sell for compared to more popular models like the Fat Boy. I just picked this up one myself last week for all of $20 in it's original box.

gilsupadj.png

I am still casually searching for one of these with the metal base. Perhaps because they are even older, most of what I've found either have heavy wear, missing paint, or sell at a considerable premium to these later models.

That cleaned up very nicely. It surprises me how little these can sell for compared to more popular models like the Fat Boy. I just picked this up one myself last week for all of $20 in it's original box.

View attachment 798315

NICE!

I am still casually searching for one of these with the metal base. Perhaps because they are even older, most of what I've found either have heavy wear, missing paint, or sell at a considerable premium to these later models.

What's the date code on that one? I've been "casually" looking for an F code (1985) adjustable for a while. Once and a while I'll see one, and then kick myself for not going after it when someone ends up getting it for like $20.

The prices the vintage razors are going for currently amaze me. It used to amaze me how much people, myself included, would pay for a run-of-the-mill vintage razors, and forget about a Fat Boy... Nowadays I'm amazed by how much less money people are paying for vintage razors; that and the amount of them that go unsold due to sellers asking astronomical prices. I think the market has either gotten over-saturated or people are not as willing to pay the insane prices anymore. Just a theory of mine.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

What's the date code on that one? I've been "casually" looking for an F code (1985) adjustable for a while. Once and a while I'll see one, and then kick myself for not going after it when someone ends up getting it for like $20.

The prices the vintage razors are going for currently amaze me. It used to amaze me how much people, myself included, would pay for a run-of-the-mill vintage razors, and forget about a Fat Boy... Nowadays I'm amazed by how much less money people are paying for vintage razors; that and the amount of them that go unsold due to sellers asking astronomical prices. I think the market has either gotten over-saturated or people are not as willing to pay the insane prices anymore. Just a theory of mine.

It's a Z-3 (1979). Perhaps one day I'll bother to pick up a birth year (1983), but I haven't actively looked for one previously.

I think that a lot of the pricing has to do with the options available now too. Just a few years ago there was vintage, Merkur, a few Chinese options and not much more. Now it seems every week a new stainless razor is hitting the market. Maggard, Italian Barber, etc. carry new razors from super cheap to rather pricey. Even a search on Amazon yields hundreds of results.

What really amazes me is the number of $150+ razors coming out and how quickly they sell out. Not only must the market be bigger than I assumed but a lot of folks must have far more discretionary income than I do to be regularly dropping that kind of money on razors.

What really amazes me is the number of $150+ razors coming out and how quickly they sell out. Not only must the market be bigger than I assumed but a lot of folks must have far more discretionary income than I do to be regularly dropping that kind of money on razors.

That's something I don't really pay attention to as I'm not looking for a $25+ razor, much less a $150+ razor. I guarantee you that if I put a "super premium" $150+ razor up against pretty much any ONE of my sub-$25 razors I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, during and after shaving; so long as the sub-25 razor isn't the Nanjie I threw in the trash a few weeks ago.

I think you're onto something with the "traditional" wet-shaving market being much larger, even (especially) in the US, than either of us would've, could've, imagined years ago.

To think that what kicked it off for most people was a moustache-less walrus of a reality-TV "star" hocking the benefits of using a cheap Chinese Super Speed knockoff on national television.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

To think that what kicked it off for most people was a moustache-less walrus of a reality-TV "star" hocking the benefits of using a cheap Chinese Super Speed knockoff on national television.
Ha! That's exactly what planted the seed in my head and got me curious. I think Rick Harrison should get $0.01 from every safety razor related wet shaving item sold now.

I just found my own Black Beauty, My Birthday Razor. A 1976 W1 Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty 109Ebay - Gillette -2_f.jpg
Just got it 2 or 3 days ago and on my second shave. I gatta say this razor Is why I love a Gillette Adjustable,... ;)

Top Bottom