What's new

My "new" '78 Super Adjustable (Black Beauty)

I recently (also) bought a '78 Y code Gillette long handle Super Adjustable on eBay for less than $15 shipped.

The razor looked to be in decent "user grade" shape from the pictures in the listing, but the seller stated that there was some "use rub" to the black coating. When I opened up the package I was surprised at the supposed condition of the razor, to say the least. It looked pretty bad and I was a little disappointed, that is until I dug my thumbnail into the "use rub" and found out that the razor was encased in an extremely thick crust of soap scum. So much so that it looked like the razor was missing finish and in bad shape.

I got out the Scrubbing Bubbles and sprayed it down and then let it sit for about 10 minutes. I started scrubbing it with an old firm toothbrush and SOME of the crust began to come off, but as soon as it dried it looked like crap; just as gross looking as when I started. I repeated the Scrubbing Bubbles and toothbrush treatment several times, but it just wouldn't get all the way down to the finish. This stuff was hard as a rock.

I made up a Tupperware of vinegar water, a bit of antibacterial dish soap, and about 1/4 cup of isopropyl alcohol and let the razor soak for 24 hours. 24 hours! When I took the toothbrush to it the next day I was surprised at how easily the impossible-to-remove gunk came off, but it still took quite a bit of scrubbing. I had to go back over the closer twice and had to scrub the barn doors with a dish scrubber and my fingernail, but it finally came clean.

What I ended up with was a razor that looked like it was brand new. I don't think the seller knew that what he had was a razor in excellent condition that was enshrined under 40 years of soap scum.

It shaves similar to a Slim, but seems a lot more nimble; I'm assuming due to its lighter weight and longer handle. I'd definitely recommend adding one to your arsenal if you are into vintage razors or Gillette adjustables.

Some before and after pics:
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the razor. You picked it up at a great price and did a fantastic job cleaning it up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.

I won't take all the credit for the cleanup, most of the credit should go to the concoction of common household chemicals I used. They kicked Scrubbing Bubbles', and 40 years of disgusting soap scum's, butt.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Nice razor. My birth year/quarter is also a Black Beauty, and I am very envious of the price you scored this one for. Well done!

Awesome cleanup job! Very nice!

This is still on my list of things to find. I have a Fatboy and a Slim, but have yet to acquire a Super Adjustable. I'd love to find all the variations of the SA, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Congrats!!

Awesome cleanup job! Very nice!

This is still on my list of things to find. I have a Fatboy and a Slim, but have yet to acquire a Super Adjustable. I'd love to find all the variations of the SA, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Congrats!!

Haha I'm on the same kick. I just don't wanna pay too much for them. Thats why I'm taking my time and trying to find the best deal for the best looking/functioning razor. I've bought a few fatboys but always wined up sending them back to the seller because they forgot to mention things about the razor or can't/won't answer my questions so I take the chance and it shows up and doesn't work right. I don't want to pay more than $25 for one. If I can get one for that price I can afford to send it off to Chris for plating. I just sent my slim out to him to get re-plated, so excited to see how everything turns out.

Haha I'm on the same kick. I just don't wanna pay too much for them. Thats why I'm taking my time and trying to find the best deal for the best looking/functioning razor. I've bought a few fatboys but always wined up sending them back to the seller because they forgot to mention things about the razor or can't/won't answer my questions so I take the chance and it shows up and doesn't work right. I don't want to pay more than $25 for one. If I can get one for that price I can afford to send it off to Chris for plating. I just sent my slim out to him to get re-plated, so excited to see how everything turns out.

Yeah, I'm a "find it in the wild" type. I purchased a Flare Tip SS online, last year - the price was right, and the razor was in excellent condition, but I felt like I cheated. But, that's just me. I like being able to hold it, see it first hand, and make sure it works, or see what I'm getting into, before I buy. Plus, the prices are quite right, most of the time, in a lot of the antique stores I go to. I found a really nice F4 Toggle, on my 25th wedding anniversary, while out antiquing with my wife, for $45 last year, and that's the most I've ever paid for a razor, so far.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your Slim after you get it replated. Are you going back with the original nickel? Or are you going with another metal?

Yeah, I'm a "find it in the wild" type. I purchased a Flare Tip SS online, last year - the price was right, and the razor was in excellent condition, but I felt like I cheated. But, that's just me. I like being able to hold it, see it first hand, and make sure it works, or see what I'm getting into, before I buy. Plus, the prices are quite right, most of the time, in a lot of the antique stores I go to. I found a really nice F4 Toggle, on my 25th wedding anniversary, while out antiquing with my wife, for $45 last year, and that's the most I've ever paid for a razor, so far.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your Slim after you get it replated. Are you going back with the original nickel? Or are you going with another metal?

Me too I can't wait to get it back. He's pretty backed up though. Won't be for a few months...but I went with nickel.

Just had a shave with my T2 Black beauty, it is really a great razor. I think you gonna like it.
I'm using it on the highest setting wtg, then 6 and 5 on xtg/atg. Really close shave!

Woww, nice one, you made the razor becomes a more precious item, because you MADE it that way.

Well, really all I did was clean off somebody else's neglected soap scum. If I really wanted to get crazy I could take the already shiny chrome to the flap wheel, but I don't have the motivation at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom