What's new

My name is Shane and I'm a cobraholic

Where to start. A number of years ago I got bitten by the wet shave bug bad. I went pretty hard for a number of years and tried a ton of razors, bought, sold and kept a bunch of brushes ans ended up with enough soaps to the point that I've never fully inished one. At this point the cobra classic and king classic were all the rage. Long story short I ended up a cobra classic and two king cobras, both with UFO handles, and pretty much stopped going on the forums and enjoyed my gear (mostly being attributed to the cobra being MY razor).

Here I am some 5-6+(?) years later and had a friend asking me to help him with starting up on wet shaving. What a wormhole this has started for me. Here I am back on the boards looking at the newest and greatest (and thinking about old stuff I never got to). The last 3 days I have ordered a blackland vector, hawk v3A, gillette new short replated , gillette new Bostonian, Gillette aristrocat, a razorock brush and a bunch of soaps and aftershave.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK!!!

Can't wait to share.

Where to start. A number of years ago I got bitten by the wet shave bug bad. I went pretty hard for a number of years and tried a ton of razors, bought, sold and kept a bunch of brushes ans ended up with enough soaps to the point that I've never fully inished one. At this point the cobra classic and king classic were all the rage. Long story short I ended up a cobra classic and two king cobras, both with UFO handles, and pretty much stopped going on the forums and enjoyed my gear (mostly being attributed to the cobra being MY razor).

Here I am some 5-6+(?) years later and had a friend asking me to help him with starting up on wet shaving. What a wormhole this has started for me. Here I am back on the boards looking at the newest and greatest (and thinking about old stuff I never got to). The last 3 days I have ordered a blackland vector, hawk v3A, gillette new short replated , gillette new Bostonian, Gillette aristrocat, a razorock brush and a bunch of soaps and aftershave.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK!!!

Can't wait to share.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!

marty

Reactions: Kix

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK!!!

Can't wait to share.

Hello Shane, welcome to Shavahollic's Anonymous!

Don't feel bad though, because were all in this rabbit hole together, spiraling down into our acquisition disorder. It might be considered a hobby, but those of us who are truly in it for the fun of it, not just to be considered the chore of shaving, know that this is a journey towards happiness as well. The more you spiral down the rabbit hole, the more enlightened you become, with a bank account emptier, and an inflated credit statement later.

I've only been a wet shaver for 6 months, and I've already secured lots of hardware and software. Infact, just yesterday I ordered more stuff, cause why not? I got fall scents I gotta enjoy, and some secret razors to be talked about later. Could I just be happy with what I have and call it quits? Sure, but what kind of shavahollic would I be, if I did the logical thing and just quit? Well, I aint no quitter, the language I speak is not quitter talk.

So I say, spend spend spend, and enjoy the happiness you get, as depression just fades away into the abyss where it belongs, while your playing hello Mr. razor, how about a little whisker weight reduction!

G

Guest2023

Welcome back! Cobra Classic is my no 1. modern razor, too.

It is the most beautiful one and for me, when paired with Schick Proline, it outperforms other premium DE and AC razors like Wolfman, Paradigm, Blackland, Colonial, etc.

Reactions: Kix

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I’m using a Gillette Mach 3 right now. It has 3 really sharp blades. It’s easier to use than a DE razor.

When you say you were using the Cobra with a UFO handle, do you mean the original UFO handles handcrafted in Spain by Rafael? Those are amazing.

At one time I had three of them but I am now down to two. The Titan FineL is quite possibly the best razor handle ever made, and the only piece of shaving equipment I own that I would never consider selling.

Thanks guys, it's been pretty fun getting a bit of passion for it again. I actually just found a never used gillette Tech w/box and blades and ordered it as well. The mailman is going to be busy stopping by over the next week. The last several was kind of getting in the rut of MDC, feather pro and king cobra every shave (perhaps not the worst of ruts to be in).

Hi, Shane. I’m also Shane and I hope you enjoy your new Vector!

I'm reading great things about it. Sadly this the only one getting wrapped and going under the tree for Christmas, but it's the one I'm looking forward to most. Question about that razor, will the bottom of a polished vector handle scratch from the inkwell stand?

Welcome back! Cobra Classic is my no 1. modern razor, too.

It is the most beautiful one and for me, when paired with Schick Proline, it outperforms other premium DE and AC razors like Wolfman, Paradigm, Blackland, Colonial, etc.
I pretty much gave up on using any other razors and have been using cobras for a solid 6+ years exclusively. One paired with a feather works so well for me. I tried a couple of the early AC razors when they were starting to come out after the cobras but never found one that shaved as well for me. I'm really hoping some of these newer ones can at least hang with the cobra, I'd liek to have some variety.

When you say you were using the Cobra with a UFO handle, do you mean the original UFO handles handcrafted in Spain by Rafael? Those are amazing.

At one time I had three of them but I am now down to two. The Titan FineL is quite possibly the best razor handle ever made, and the only piece of shaving equipment I own that I would never consider selling.

Those are the ones! I use one almost every time I shave. I had a second cobra classic as well but I sold it for another item - regret it a ton as I'd love to have one rose gold plated. I always remember that old photo floating around the boards with the 3 cobra classics all plated differently - beautiful. Back when these razors and handles were being bought/sold commonly is about when I stopped experimenting/buying new stuff.

Here's my dailies:

Attachments

• 20220906_211440.jpg
    20220906_211440.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 22
You might be a Cobraholic, but there's nothing wrong with that. Years ago, B&B had a Cobra Classic pass around that I was a part of. After using the razor for a week, I truly liked it but didn't love it. However, in my comments in that thread, I mentioned that I would purchase one if it had a longer handle with the same head. Imagine my surprise when about a year later, the King Cobra was born. I immediately sent in my payment for one and have never looked back.

The only thing I regret is missing out on the UFO handles for the King; I just recently saw a thread and drooled over them. Once I researched and found that they are currently Unobtainium, I was still thankful for my King Cobra which shaves the closest to a straight without using a straight razor IMHO. I have been using mine during this SEptember.

marty

Am right there with you. Have been using Cobra Classic or King Cobra, usually with a Feather blade or Shick P30, for many years. Occasionally, use a Vector or Asylum RX.

Read the forums, but believe the Cobras’ give me the best shave I can get!

was still thankful for my King Cobra which shaves the closest to a straight without using a straight razor IMHO.

marty

Read the forums, but believe the Cobras’ give me the best shave I can get!
It's been so long since I've been on the forums, I thought for sure there would be tons of options as good or better by now. This makes me even more bummed that I sold my fourth cobra. I can only hope that they'll last lifetime as they give me the best shave by a long shot. I've been pretty much only using one king cobra for several years now and I notice the latch has some play but I can't tighten the screw at all. I'm not sure if it's from so much use or if it was always that way.

I have to say though, this hawk v3 with a feather super is a great razor, it's nice to use and such a good value. So I'm happy I found something else I like but it's not in the running to compete with my cobras.

Looking froward to trying the blackland vector though.

Have you considered a RazoRock Game Changer or Lupo SS, @ShaneN?

I have a Game Changer with Barber Pole handle and all of the plates. The .84 SB (closed comb) and .68 OC plates work very well on my face. I keep thinking about getting a Lupo SS with a .72 SB plate, but I fell down the straight razor rabbit hole two years ago and still have not climbed out.

Top Bottom