What's new

My Montecristo # 2 (Pyramid), Cigar Review

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Construction: This cigar (52 ring gauge x 6.1in – Torpedo – Factory Box Code: Dec 2009), construction had no imperfections, quite a smooth rich, dark brown wrapper with an very oily sheen with no hard or soft spots…a very well made and rolled cigar.

Pre-Smoke: Right out of the box that 73mountaineer (a.k.a.Steve), who was so kind to send me, the aroma of this cigar had a medium earthiness and mild Cuban scent (be good to get a good wiff), that might deceive the beginner, novice or experienced smoker of fixations yet to come. This cigar was easy to cut with my small gold & sharp pocket knife, with no problems of un-raveling or ripping of the wrapper.

Smoking: Lighting presented no problems although later on I did have to apply a few ‘touch-ups’ (no problem-o), due to very slight ‘uneven burning’. In fact, the burn was kind of even (minus the the 'touch-ups), with firm dark gray ash (about ½ before I gently ‘tapped’ the cigar it into the ashtray), during the first half of this cigar (of course this doesn’t mean the entire batch would do this…which some Monte vitola’s are unfortunately prone to [maybe due to over production and demand]), but the draw was very pleasant, easy and very smooth. When smoking this cigar, I was nicely surprised by its smooth flavor and perfumed aroma (which my Mrs. really liked; reminding her of when her father smoked Cubans….in-doors...back in times past).

The combination of flavors was not too complex (a plus for a either a beginner, novice or experienced Cuban smoker), with rich flavors of fine Cuban tobacco, a nutty charcter, leather, buttery cocoa and coffee. With most Cubans, the taste is very hard to describe; but once smoked, you’re ‘hooked’ (and will try to smoke no other country of origin), for life because nothing compares to Cuban tobacco.

The taste, aroma, appearance is only home to Cuba. The quality of the Cuban cigar is the result of the mystical union of six (6) elements: soil, varieties of Cuban cigar tobacco regions, climate, the wisdom of it's agricultural workers/cigar rollers and most of all the experience...since the 1700's ......it's in the Cuban Blood & Soul. :yesnod:

This cigar had a soft medium (almost mild, but not too mild not to notice the distinctive Cuban essence), body with a good amount of earthy and tobacco flavor and just a hint of spice, (i.e., a very, very mild ‘grinded’ pepper hint). These flavors then a became a little more distinct (½ - ¾ burn), and prevailing as I smoked this Pyramid (defiantly much milder than a H. Upman # 2, but not as soft & mellow as a Cohiba 2006 - Edición Limitada Pirámides [Limited Edition Series], I had the honor to smoke years ago), and was not hot and/or harsh (with proper resting periods between puffs), towards the end.

However, there was a slight ‘tang’ of medium earthiness, tobacco and spice in the later ⅓ of the cigar on the palate (however, I did smoke this cigar down to the shortest nub….an almost burned my fingers in the process…wishing there was more). Although, the burn time was about 60 - 90 (depending on your smoking style and please let this cigar have a few good ‘rest’ periods to develop it’s over all maturity), minutes of pure Havana paradise.

Conclusion: A very good, medium and well-rounded Monte and I will say, I had to ‘take one of my shoes off’ to ‘recognize’ and objectively (evenly), review this cigar (which in my opinion is a perfect cigar for the beginner, novice and/or experienced Cuban smoker), and perfect when paired with glass of good wine (I had a ‘snifter’ of fine Hine Cognac), Brandy, Whisky or strong coffee reading a Sunday New York Times (sit back & enjoy the view).

With a few more years of aging, this Monte # 2 could very well become an exceptional cigar for those desiring a smooth, medium strong Cuban cigar in a Pyramid (torpedo), format.

Christopher
proxy.php
"If I cannot smoke cigars in Heaven, I shall not go". Mark Twain

Last edited:
Nice review. I have a couple of boxes from 2006 (GSO OCT 06). When they are on, it is one fabulous cigar; rich bean flavors. Cocoa, vanilla and dark chocolate. I have smoked examples that tasted like chocolate pudding. My boxes have been pretty consistent in offering that wonderful Monte profile. A few have been sub par, but for the most point, they have been nice solid performers. Can't say that about earlier years.

If you like the Montecristo flavor profile, try the Especial or Especial No.2. These are very consistent and can just knock the ball out of the park when given the proper respect. At one time the Montecristo No.2 was my favorite cigar. It still has a place in my heart, but when I am looking for that bean profile I reach for an Especial.

An excellent well-written review, Christopher, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Monte!!! :thumbup:

I seem to burn through most sticks a bit faster than others and I find your burn time to be pretty much spot on with my experience. As a point of reference, I can burn through a robusto-sized cigar in about 45 min., probably a little less. Any cigar around the size of the Monte #2 is good for a little over an hour for me. A more leisurely smoker could easily add another 15 min or more to that.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and for graciously accepting my simple gift :001_cool:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
An excellent well-written review, Christopher, and I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Monte!!! :thumbup:

I seem to burn through most sticks a bit faster than others and I find your burn time to be pretty much spot on with my experience. As a point of reference, I can burn through a robusto-sized cigar in about 45 min., probably a little less. Any cigar around the size of the Monte #2 is good for a little over an hour for me. A more leisurely smoker could easily add another 15 min or more to that.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and for graciously accepting my simple gift :001_cool:
Steve:
Thanx again for your most kind reply, gift, support and sharing!!! Your gift gave me great pleasure to smoke and reveiw and I hope I did a job well done :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php
"A cigar is as good as [the] memories that you have when you smoked it". Raul Julia

Love this cigar! When I get a chance to smoke one I savor it. I generally prefer Cubans because I like their taste, it's very distinctive. Sadly I don't get to smoke them as much as I would like to though.

Chris

Top Bottom