What's new

My Merkur HD classic arrived today....

Well it finally got here after that Chesapeake Knife website put the wrong shipping zipcode on the package so it was delayed three days while UPS figured out what went wrong, perhaps this is why their store is closing?.. Anyways, I didn't know this thing was so tiny, I mean the handle, wow, it's not even as long as my thumb! I haven't used it yet, but I have a feeling the handle is going to be too short to get a good hold on.. Anyone think the same??
Mike

The handle is short but very manageable. I think you'll love it once you get used to it. There is still plenty of handle to hold on to.

When I first picked up my HD I thought the same thing - where is the rest of the handle? As it turns out, the HD has more than enough handle for me. Just give it a try - it is far more managable than you would first think.

Actually I prefer my Classic over the HD, but the Slant has the same handle as the HD, and I prefere the Slant the best.

My order of preference:

1) Slant Bar (Satan's razor)
2) Classic
3) Long Handle Classic
4) HD

Well, now you know why they say, "Guys with teeny razor handles have teeny razor handles!":biggrin: It really is a matter of personal preference and certain physical attributes:001_rolle . If the razor gets lost in your hand, it isn't going to be much of a joy to use. On the other hand (like a lobster one small and one large?), some lads have difficulty controlling a longer handled razor and end up choking up on the handle. This sort of grip, by the way, is also not a joyous grip.
So kick back and relax. If you find that your friends are snickering because of your teeny razor handle, you now know that they were only fair weather friends anyway. One last note, it's not the size of the handle, but how you use it that counts!

Mike

I got mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I too was shocked at how small it really was. I had not seen a DE razor in 25 years. I had remembered them seeming so big when I was a little pup. I'm learning to show it a lot of respect and I'm really warming up to it.

Tito

Alright, we'll see, these are just my first impressions of the thing after taking it out of the box, I'll find out later today :001_smile

It's an excellent razor, I have quite big hands but get on with my Slant just fine. The classic's handle is even thinner and doesn't cause me a problem.

When my HD was delivered....I was pretty shocked at how small the handle is.

I actually wondered if it was missing a piece.

Long story short, I freaking love this razor. I have been using it for a couple years now and must say, it is my favorite.

Give the handle a chance....you have made a great purchase. You will get the hang of it in no time.

You might need to take some time to adjust to the small size of the razor but you'll get the hang of it. It's a fine razor and it will serve you well.

I imagine the original poster's concerns have been adequately addressed already. But I wanted to chime in anyway. :redface:

I just switched to wetshaving two weeks ago or so, and using the Merkur HD has been an incredible experience for me, especially after having struggled with a Mach 3 for too many years.

I'm 6'4" and I have big hands, but I still find the Merkur HD to be much easier to handle than the Mach 3, mainly because its heavier. Also, I agree that short is good... for me, a long handle gets in the way.

Of course, my first shave was a disaster (as expected), but since I've gotten the hang of it, the results have been amazing.

some lads have difficulty controlling a longer handled razor and end up choking up on the handle. This sort of grip, by the way, is also not a joyous grip

I say, I can get more and better control with the HD by choking up on the handle so my fingers grip it (lightly, Ron. . .lightly :wink:) right up near the head of the razor. Any additional length would be wasted, IMO.

Yesterday my HD arrived too!

Today I bravely used it--with a shiney new blade (Merkur as well). Not bad at all. Not a single nick. Got the hang of it pretty quickly. Some areas a bit too close and some not quite close enough but overall its a good shave and again no blood.

Still, it was great fun and more that acceptable, especially as a first go. Color me impressed.

Guys, I may be a bit manic or perhaps you have all gotten into my head but in the past week I've spent about 300 dollars on shaving supplies from Sue, a 26 mm silvertip Shavemac, and the HD. Will this every stop? Honestly, I'm loving it. Its great fun. I am a fountain pen junkie. Writing with a fountain pen is an experience not a task. Shaving with this good stuff is again an experience not a task.

MJB

MJB said:
Yesterday my HD arrived too!

Today I bravely used it--with a shiney new blade (Merkur as well). Not bad at all. Not a single nick. Got the hang of it pretty quickly. Some areas a bit too close and some not quite close enough but overall its a good shave and again no blood.

Still, it was great fun and more that acceptable, especially as a first go. Color me impressed.

Guys, I may be a bit manic or perhaps you have all gotten into my head but in the past week I've spent about 300 dollars on shaving supplies from Sue, a 26 mm silvertip Shavemac, and the HD. Will this every stop? Honestly, I'm loving it. Its great fun. I am a fountain pen junkie. Writing with a fountain pen is an experience not a task. Shaving with this good stuff is again an experience not a task.

MJB
Sounds like your on the right track, just keep your credit card handy, you might find that you will be spending more than 300 dollars soon:biggrin: .

Top Bottom