What's new

My Maddening Muhle R106!

I really want to love this razor. I would even take like at this point. I find it to be beautiful looking with its elegant black handle. It’s quality and craftsmanship are excellent for its price point. It seems to be built as a nice mild to moderate temperament razor. But every time I use it, it sticks to my face as if the cap is coated in tar. It simply won’t glide. Shallow or steep, it’s as if I’m dragging a long heavy garden hose across the yard.

I have over a dozen razors, vintage to modern. Gillette old type to Feather AS-D2. I even have its big brother the R41. No other razor treats me this way.

Blade doesn’t matter. I’ve been shaving long enough to have my soaps dialed in perfectly. I face this “stickiness” problem with even my highest performing, well hydrated soaps from a slickness perspective-Wholly Kaw and CRSW Glide. I slosh the razor in the sink and use it dripping wet. No matter.

Not every razor will work for everyone and of course I have my favorites. Some give me excellent shaves. Some give me red hot burn through alum(although I should spend more time learning them). But this R106 is so vexing to the point it’s maddening. It’s hard to soldier on and work on technique when it’s simply not the angle or pressure or blade used. I can discern no measurable difference when running my fingers over its cap from other crime cousins. Isn’t chrome, well, chrome? How can this be?! Anyway, it’s likely time to move on this. But I can’t help but wonder, do any of you have a razor like this? One where it’s not the gap, not the exposure, likely not the technique, but simply a cap that won’t glide?

All I can say is that, “I know what I would do with that razor (PIF or BST).”

Some razors just don’t work for me also.

If the razor doesn't love you, don't waist your love on it, there are plenty other razors that will love you just they way you do!

But we're missing the point that brother John has raised. I wanna know why a new high quality Muhle razor will not slide easily across a properly lathered face?

That truly is a mystery.

But we're missing the point that brother John has raised. I wanna know why a new high quality Muhle razor will not slide easily across a properly lathered face?

That truly is a mystery.
Thats a mystery o’right, not even my bakelite razor gives me that kind of problem, and I havent heard anyone with a matte finished razor raise such question

Top Bottom