What's new

My limits

While I haven’t been DE shaving for long, I am quickly learning how my face reacts. This was my third shave with a Feather New Hi-Stainless blade and I got a few nicks. One caveat though is this was a pre-shower shave and the DSC Shave Butter dried out. I will try again with 3 shaves but in the shower to see if there’s any difference.

I found my best prep was to shower then shave.

plenty of guys find Feathers to not last long for them (blade degradation over x number of shaves in face feel) and I suspect it's also the razor/blade combo is a factor as well.

ultimately, for me, technique trumps all. good prep, good lather, good blade angles, appropriate pressure yields better shaves. that takes practice.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't recommend Feather blades for new shavers. They are the most unforgiving blade I know of for any lapse in technique, expensive and not known for good longevity. I get two good shaves from a Feather.

If you need that level of sharpness you'll be happy they're available. I have a few other blades I prefer, so I only use them occasionally. I think they're great blades, but not for new shavers. Others disagree.

I don't recommend Feather blades for new shavers. They are the most unforgiving blade I know of for any lapse in technique, expensive and not known for good longevity. I get two good shaves from a Feather.

If you need that level of sharpness you'll be happy they're available. I have a few other blades I prefer, so I only use them occasionally. I think they're great blades, but not for new shavers. Others disagree.
I completely agree. IMO Feather blades aren't a good choice for a beginner. Another blade that is fairly unforgiving is a Kai. Both are very sharp, but I can only get 3 or 4 comfortable shaves with a Feather. With a Kai, a few more.
I would suggest trying a Gillette Nacet or Gillette Silver Blue. Both are plenty shave, smooth and long lasting in my experience. Of course there are other great blades as well. Good luck!

I appreciate everyone’s replies! I just received an assortment of blades to try out. I love how inexpensive the blades are. It allows you to really try many brands without breaking the bank.

Yes indeed! Trying new blades is great fun, and the most inexpensive hobby I have ever had!

I appreciate everyone’s replies! I just received an assortment of blades to try out. I love how inexpensive the blades are. It allows you to really try many brands without breaking the bank.
Stick with one blade until you wear it out, for maybe 2-3 blades if you got a tuck (5-10 pack) of one type so you can dial that one in. Say at least a week straight (or a week’s worth) to dial in that blade. Try not to change up soaps, or other variables if you’re trying to isolate from to eval the blade. Same with the razor, stick with one for a week or so. Limit the variables.

Run through your samples like that, unless you simply find one that doesn’t perform as well as others you’ve tried.

Try to build on each shave with a blade, and each shave in general. After you’ve run through x amount of all your samples, go back and verify your perceptions from the first round. You may have more skill then to get a different result. Go back in a year to see what you think, because it could change.

And some blades just work better in different razors. So don’t toss any you don’t like for about a year.

Once you figure out what you do like, stick with that set up and build skills with what you have if it’s comfortable. Then start trying new things. Changing up everything too often will slow your grown in skill overall.

I’d stay away from the Feathers. They’re simply too sharp. Completely unforgiving. They’re designed for Feather’s razors which are designed to be too mild. I don’t understand why Feather doesn’t make more aggressive razors and produce less aggressive blades.

Great idea to try the different blades.

Can you elaborate on RazoRock bundle?

I am a big fan of RazoRock products. I love my Game Changer and SS Lupo razors.

Top Bottom