What's new

My left hand is a spaz

My left hand is a spaz. I started to straight razor shave in March. I shave every other day. I try to shave with the traditional approach. The right side of my face I use my right hand and the left side I use my left hand. There is a noticeable quality difference in the right-side and left side. My right hand is superior at straight razor shaving. Also every nick, slice, and cut has been attained by the left hand. Not once has my right let any blood out. I think I am going to try to shave my whole face with my right hand. Use my left for the areas my right cannot shave well. Like the best electric guitarist in the world (Jimi Hendrix) he played his guitar upside down.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My left hand is a spaz. I started to straight razor shave in March. I shave every other day. I try to shave with the traditional approach. The right side of my face I use my right hand and the left side I use my left hand. There is a noticeable quality difference in the right-side and left side. My right hand is superior at straight razor shaving. Also every nick, slice, and cut has been attained by the left hand. Not once has my right let any blood out. I think I am going to try to shave my whole face with my right hand. Use my left for the areas my right cannot shave well. Like the best electric guitarist in the world (Jimi Hendrix) he played his guitar upside down.
Ya gots one face and two hands. You ain't got a spare face, so keep it incredibly handsome by using your best hand.

THIS is what I call "post modern SCIENCE" my friend.

Have you tried practicing using a shavette without a blade? Use it to just go through the motions but you won’t be able to cut yourself. You might get more accustomed to getting more comfortable with your non dominant hand.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Slock, if it's not working for you, there is no need to force it. For over 800 daily three-pass SR shaves, I quite happily only used my dominant hand.

A bit over a month ago, I decided to try and include my non-dominant hand in my SR shaving. I did this thinking that one day I might need to shave with just this hand if my other hand became inoperable. It took me about 30 daily SR shaves to be able to master using my non-dominant hand north to south on the left side of my face only. Next I am going to train that hand to do the same on the right side of my face.

It is not easy, but it can be done.

Many people have a certain degree of ambidexterity and have no issue shaving with both hands. When shaving using a straight razor I do use both hands. I find it easier that way. In contrast, when using a safety razor, I only use my dominant hand. If your non-dominant hand is not working for you, do not worry about it. There are plenty of folks that shave with one hand.

I forced myself right out of the gate to use both hands. It was hard work but it paid dividends. I suggest that you stick with it and train your left hand.

But that is of course my opinion based on my experience.

Skills take time to develop. In the big picture, a couple months isn't a lot of time. Patience and realistic expectations help here. I have always shaved with 2 hands but sometimes I think my left hand 'picked it up' faster. For the first several months my wet shaving results resulted in pink lather most days. It's all good, there are no rules and there is no race. Self critique is good but we also have to give ourselves a break 'cause no one is perfect. Sometimes, these days, I'll 'cross over' with my right hand to some extent. I might even cross over the other way sometimes. Whatever's clever....

If you're comfortable using only your dominant hand, just use that. Millions of men have only used their dominant hand to wield a SR over the years.

I personally prefer using both hands as that's what I've always done. Even with DE and carts.

If you want to develop dexterity with your non-dominant hand, as @mc57 said above, try to brush your teeth using your off hand. Also try using your off hand to unlock doors, drink your coffee etc. (I personally don't drink my coffee right handed, it just feels uncomfortable. I know that's just habit as I haven't drunk coffee right handed in over a decade. For what it's worth I'm probably 60% right hand dominant.)

You might find using your non-dominant hand more frequently for seemingly simple tasks helps with development of motor skills.

Have you tried practicing using a shavette without a blade? Use it to just go through the motions but you won’t be able to cut yourself. You might get more accustomed to getting more comfortable with your non dominant hand.
I don't have a shavette.

It's probably because you have incorrect blade angle with your off hand.

Practice, practice, practice.
I know this is part of the issue. I find myself correcting my angle all the time with my left hand. it also explains the blood letting.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I use both hands equally when SR shaving. Left hand does the left side and so on. I golf left, play hockey left, bat left, shoot pool left and toss sauté pans left exclusively, although I’m right hand dominant. Weird. I wouldn’t strop left, wonder if anyone does that interchangeably?

Top Bottom