What's new

My latest restore...SolidSet from hazy purple to bright scarlet

Hey guys,

Just a few pictures for your Friday.

The brush in the middle is the one.

proxy.php

Maas, mothers, elbow grease, etc. had me resigned that this brush was just going to be a hazy purple. I nicked a spot with my Dremel while cleaning out the inside, and noticed, through the bright light shining on it, that the inside looked red. So, I put some super high grit sandpaper to it, and got this:

proxy.php

Then, the final steps of polishing, all done by hand, left me with this beauty:

proxy.php

Came across a flat top knot from Shavemac on the BST, and this is what I finished with:

proxy.php

We're in the middle of moving, and can't find my polishing papers, but it does need some touchup to make it a super high gloss.

I hope you enjoy! I sure do. Lather/bloom picture will come tomorrow.

I have restored a few of those handles and you can't capture the true color on camera I don't think. The ones I had almost seemed to change color under light. Very nice restore.

The starting sandpaper grit was 600, then 1000, then 1200. The polishing papers feel kinda like construction paper to me...very very very fine grits. Not sure of the micron number.

I have restored a few of those handles and you can't capture the true color on camera I don't think. The ones I had almost seemed to change color under light. Very nice restore.
Thanks for the kind words. And, this is so true. Even the two pictures I included here are vastly different in depth and tone. Granted, one is under a lamp, and one is natural sunlight, but the color is very complex.

The starting sandpaper grit was 600, then 1000, then 1200. The polishing papers feel kinda like construction paper to me...very very very fine grits. Not sure of the micron number.

Nice job! Way to not be afraid of taking some sandpaper to it. I've removed lots of scuffs, blemishes, and ugly seams by sanding.

My final sanding is usually with 2000 grit wet/dry or #0000 steel wool, and then some plastic polish.

Top Bottom