What's new

My latest Gold Dollar 66 modification

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly got the urge to do another GD modification - it has been a long time since I did one.

For this one, I wanted to keep it pretty simple, but also challenge myself (a little) on my preferences.
I really like wood with a lot of grain and most often it can be found in the darker woods, but this time I chose a light wood; Hornbeam.
Simple angled point and a slight curve of the scales. Sanded/polished to grain 5,000 and finished off with Marine D.1 oil to give it a nice silk mat appearance.

I gave it a Spanish Point since I love that, took off a bit of the tail, removed the jimps and gave the tang the slightest curve where the jimps had been and finished with the simplest spine work possible.
Now, after the scales turned out so well (in my own opinion :001_smile) and I really like the mat look of them, I decided to try and give the razor a mat look as well. At this point I had polished it to an almost mirror finish, but matted it with a steel-wool wheel on my Dremel.

Honed on Shapton HR glass stones from grid 500 to 16,000.

And here a couple of photos:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom