What's new

My Latest Ebay Acquisition

I have been away for a while lately and to celebrate my return I treated myself to this from Rakowski. Firstly, what do you all think? Secondly, time for a quick vote:
Should I A: Have it rebristled by Shavemac and use it, or,
B: Leave it as is and just admire the beautiful handle.
Also for those who don't know I have already explained why I use an Ebay account with the name Vivien9431, if you don't know, ask Ron, he had developed an idea of his own:blush:

Beautiful brush Alex. Use and enjoy it as it is. You can always rebristle it in the future if you think that it needs it but it looks fine to me.

cheers

Use it as is--looks more than fine to me!:001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

Or better yet, send it to me so I can check it out for you!

I really like the turquoise inlay, adds a nice touch without being gaudy. What I don't understand is:
Super Badger is the highest quality badger brush, there is nothing better.

Isn't Super technically lower quality than true Silvertip? I'd say use as it is and if it turns out to be a crappy brush, replace the know later.

I would use it. Based on the description the brush head is new. I don't think there is any reason to rebristle a new brush unless you really do not like the way it feels. Try it out and determine for yourself if rebristling is necessary.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Adam, as far as Rakowski bristles go I'm afraid I am as uncertain as you. He used to offer his brushes in silvertip only, the super is a relatively new addition. The old silvertip type, of which I have one brush, is certainly not what I I would call "true" silvertip. The bristle is much more similiar to the best/ super types offered by other manufacturers.
As far as the super/ silvertip comparison goes, on the website www.tjrakowski.com the prices are similiar and he uses the same description for both bristle types.:confused:
Still, as far as Rakowski brushes go I bought mine based on the quality of the handles rather than the bristle type.

drP said:
Gorgeous shaped handle Alex, nice purchase!!!
Also congrats on your other sticky acquisition! Two dogs were fighting for a bone, but a third one took it home:biggrin:

Peter

Ha ha, thanks. I wondered when someone would notice. So this is what I am to be remembered for, having an ebay account with a woman's name:blushing:
110 GBP is an absolutely ridiculous amount but I did say that the next Sticky on ebay was going to be mine.

Congrats on the Wilkinson Sword Razor Alex, I was watching that one in the closing minutes. You don't know what you started though, because you will love it so much you will want to acquire another one for good measure. That razor looks in really good shape (they all seem to be in good shape, interestingly enough).

A new brush and a new razor, what an expensive weekend!

Enjoy, and let me know what you think of the razor.

rustyblade said:
Congrats on the Wilkinson Sword Razor Alex, I was watching that one in the closing minutes. You don't know what you started though, because you will love it so much you will want to acquire another one for good measure. That razor looks in really good shape (they all seem to be in good shape, interestingly enough).

A new brush and a new razor, what an expensive weekend!

Enjoy, and let me know what you think of the razor.

I'm already on the look out for another Sticky. I have one to use, now I need one just to look pretty. One more Sticky, a 195, a Henckels Wedge and a pair of Chronik straights and I shall be fulfilled, after I get those I won't need to buy anymore razors (honest.)
As for using the Sticky, I am on a fidelity kick with my Ever Ready at the moment, but as soon as that's over the Sticky will be getting a fresh Feather, ready for her maiden voyage. Any tips on using the Wilkinson?

AJS said:
Ha ha, thanks. I wondered when someone would notice. So this is what I am to be remembered for, having an ebay account with a woman's name:blushing:
110 GBP is an absolutely ridiculous amount but I did say that the next Sticky on ebay was going to be mine.

I Love the look of that razor seen it being used by one guy here all the time at his SOTD. now I can see it even more... great.
Would I pay for it that much..naaaah.. no razor worth that much this has to be a nice hobby. it must be rare I guess. Design is coolish... have fun with it.

I've never used a feather in mine, just Israelis and Gillettes. It is an aggressive razor at first, so be careful. The angle is higher than a Gillette and it has a very low profile head. Start off perpendicular and bring it down a bit somewhere around there is the sweet spot. Once you find it, it is a great razor.

AJS said:
I have been away for a while lately and to celebrate my return I treated myself to this from Rakowski. Firstly, what do you all think? Secondly, time for a quick vote:
Should I A: Have it rebristled by Shavemac and use it, or,
B: Leave it as is and just admire the beautiful handle.
Also for those who don't know I have already explained why I use an Ebay account with the name Vivien9431, if you don't know, ask Ron, he had developed an idea of his own:blush:
Well Alex,
Mighty fine purchase. Now is the cue ball for use in getting the closest shave?:001_huh: Must be tough passing it the next day though.:lol: Enjoy the lovely brush and don't worry about rebristling it until it needs it or you are unhappy with the hair bundle's performance, feel, or look.

A friend of mine (who I introduced to wetshaving) recently purchased a Rakowski brush on ebay. From what I have learned, he is a pretty reputable brushmaker, and I think you'll be more than pleased with your acquisition. Form & function, for sure.

And what an interesting idea...a vintage cue-ball. Would have never imagined that one.

I was watching this one when it first started! That was before I even had my first wetshave. If I had known you were watching over that one I never would ahve given it a second thought, I was hoping it would go unnoticed! ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was thinking of rebristling not because I have a problem with the Rakowski brushes, I already own one, but because of the inherent qualities of the bristles themselves. The vast majority of the brushes I own are of the soft and flexible variety, so I was thinking of having the rebristling done to help create some contrast. However as usual, I was getting ahead of myself somewhat and I think it would be most sensible to enjoy the brush as is for the time being. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
Ron, I don't think that the cue ball would be as easy to pass as a rubber ball so it probably isn't the best idea to use it, even if the resulting shave was BBS. Still, if it's something that you want to try I admire your dedication.

TraderJoe said:
A friend of mine (who I introduced to wetshaving) recently purchased a Rakowski brush on ebay. From what I have learned, he is a pretty reputable brushmaker, and I think you'll be more than pleased with your acquisition. Form & function, for sure.

And what an interesting idea...a vintage cue-ball. Would have never imagined that one.

It's not something that I would have ever thought of myself either, but I recently learned that it's something that Simpson's used to do as well to create their brush handles.

AJS said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was thinking of rebristling not because I have a problem with the Rakowski brushes, I already own one, but because of the inherent qualities of the bristles themselves. The vast majority of the brushes I own are of the soft and flexible variety, so I was thinking of having the rebristling done to help create some contrast. However as usual, I was getting ahead of myself somewhat and I think it would be most sensible to enjoy the brush as is for the time being. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
Ron, I don't think that the cue ball would be as easy to pass as a rubber ball so it probably isn't the best idea to use it, even if the resulting shave was BBS. Still, if it's something that you want to try I admire your dedication.

Hi Alex,

Ive written a couple of times to this guy , to ask about if he could clone me the SMFII brush ,which was no trouble for him. I did mention to him im getting a BK8 and he knew the BK line of hair. he said his was a bit more stiff.
Well if you know the BK8 that is like the ultimate in a soft LOFT like ZERO NADA resistance its like a PLOP FLOP WACK SHACK dump lather on your whole face . its like ZERO exfoliation going on absolute ZERO still love that brush because it also is a superspeed lathering device because of it takes second to lather all over the face.

I dont know if you have any brush of the Kent BK line , if you havent id advice getting the BK4 or so . but id be curious to hear if you can compare the both I still want a custom made brush from the guy .

that is so cool a biljart ball ! now ..where was that Elephant graveyard in Africa gotta find me some ivory :drool:

Yeah, think one of the most common reasons for reclaiming old billard balls and recarving them into smaller items, like brush handles, is because it is one of the few legal ways to obtain true ivory now.

fuerein said:
Yeah, think one of the most common reasons for reclaiming old billard balls and recarving them into smaller items, like brush handles, is because it is one of the few legal ways to obtain true ivory now.

Stay away from my piano keys now !!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Top Bottom