What's new

My Latest Ebay Acquisition

Hi Rene,
I have a BK4, it was my first badger brush, and I would say that the individual bristles are firmer on the Rakowski than they are on the Kent, but the knot is slightly less dense and the loft is quite tall so the overall impressionn is of a very soft brush. These are just my impressions based on the couple of times I have used my Rakowski Birde's Eye Maple brush, I don't know if the loft height is the same across his entire range so other brushes may be different. Also, he has recently started offering his brushes in Super, like my latest purchase as opposed to the original one which was in silvertip so I don't know how the two different types compare.
Like everything in wetshaving, this is all about personal preference; if you like soft, luxurious brushes then Rakowski is a good choice (also the handles themselves are superb) however if you wanted something that was firmer with a more definite scrubbing action I would see if he could get a knot made especially for you, rather than taking one as is.

This vintage Kent was also made of an ivory billiard ball:

proxy.php

(slc)Steve has even more vintage (Simpsons) brushes made of ivory billiard balls; com'on Steve and show them!!

Peter

drP said:
This vintage Kent was also made of an ivory billiard ball:

proxy.php

(slc)Steve has even more vintage (Simpsons) brushes made of ivory billiard balls; com'on Steve and show them!!

Peter

That looks real nice. As a stockpiler of shaving brushes I hope you can answer a question for me. How come all of the vintage brushes that I see: old Rooney's, your Kent, Ecka Brushes, older Simpson's etc, seem to have more densely packed knots and hair that looks better after so many decades than modern brushes that are brand new? Obviously, the hand made quality of such items is the stuff of nostalgic legend, but surely the quality of modern brushes shouldn't be so inferior. So is it just the way the brushes look in photographs, or are the old ones really that much better?

Alex,

I can compare several old one to new ones, but imo there are no differences; the few vintage brushes i have are indeed very densely packed with a great bristle quality, but when i compare them to my new Simpsons, Shavemacs, Savile Rows or Plissons i must say these new brushes are of the same quality.

Steve is able to make a better comparison because he has a lot of vintage brushes...

Peter

SSLStudio said:
Hi Alex,

Ive written a couple of times to this guy , to ask about if he could clone me the SMFII brush ,which was no trouble for him. I did mention to him im getting a BK8 and he knew the BK line of hair. he said his was a bit more stiff.
Well if you know the BK8 that is like the ultimate in a soft LOFT like ZERO NADA resistance its like a PLOP FLOP WACK SHACK dump lather on your whole face . its like ZERO exfoliation going on absolute ZERO still love that brush because it also is a superspeed lathering device because of it takes second to lather all over the face.

I dont know if you have any brush of the Kent BK line , if you havent id advice getting the BK4 or so . but id be curious to hear if you can compare the both I still want a custom made brush from the guy .

I wouldn't say the BK brushes are that soft. They are great lathermakers due to their fine bristles.

drP said:
Alex,

I can compare several old one to new ones, but imo there are no differences; the few vintage brushes i have are indeed very densely packed with a great bristle quality, but when i compare them to my new Simpsons, Shavemacs, Savile Rows or Plissons i must say these new brushes are of the same quality.

Steve is able to make a better comparison because he has a lot of vintage brushes...

Peter

I have to agree with Peter. When I compare new, high end, high quality brushes with the equivalent vintage brushes I find no real differences apart from the fact that there were quite a few more brush manufacturers decades ago and many offered high quality knots among their models. Aerosol lather doomed many brush makers as you can well imagine.

Anyway, here is an image of the billiard ball brush that I own. Unknown maker but a Shavemac rebristle.

proxy.php

slcsteve said:
I have to agree with Peter. When I compare new, high end, high quality brushes with the equivalent vintage brushes I find no real differences apart from the fact that there were quite a few more brush manufacturers decades ago and many offered high quality knots among their models. Aerosol lather doomed many brush makers as you can well imagine.

Anyway, here is an image of the billiard ball brush that I own. Unknown maker but a Shavemac rebristle.

proxy.php

I really like the look of that one too. Damn you both, now I want to start collecting more vintage shave brushes.

For all those who were confused by the difference between the Super and Silvertip grades offered by Rakowski, I just received an email from the owner which made it clear that the Super grade is a new addition to his product line up and is superior to the silvertip hair. If you visit the web page you will see that a new explanation has been added to the Super bristle brush page as well. Whilst the terms Super and Silvertip are interchangeable as far as most manufacturers are concerned, the Super grade used in Rakowski brushes is actually the next grade up from the silvertip.
Now that the situation has been clarified my original question regarding rebristling is moot. As I explained in an earlier post I simply wanted some variety from the preponderence of softer brushes that I owned. Now that I know this brush contains a different type of knot, which the manufacturer seems very confident in, I have no need to make a pointless change. Glad to have the situation cleared up and I will let you know how the new Super grade compares.

I'm flattered, I had no clue my product was being discussed on this site. My name is Tom Rakowski, I am the creative person behind my line of brushes. Originally, my claim to fame have been pipe tampers. I chose to create a new product simply because the existing brushes on the market are at best stale, the designs lacks any basic imagination. I don't know about you, but I like function and artistic form. I'm not knocking the competition, I'm just saying I wanted something beautiful. An injection molded plastic handle with some Badger just isn't my thing. Since I could not buy it, I decided to make it. The entire design cycle took over a year to develope. I source my Silvertip and Super Badger from the same suppliers as the "big name" companies. I know this for a fact.

A little about my brushes:

Yes, there was a small issue of exposed glue in the brushes, this matter has been remedied and the glue problem is simply an afterthought. Done.

Furthermore: the individual shafts are consistent in diameter and noticably stiffer then comparable models. I own about 78 different model manufacturer brushes (what can I say ...I'm one of the afflicted) I have done comparative tests to conclude this notion, however I respect individual opinions and perception plays a major role in evaluation.

In ref. to brush quality, I do not cut corners here, I source the finest and would not have it any other way. Again, individual opinions vary, but know this: you are purchasing the best quality that I can possibly deliver.

I have met so many interesting people since I started making brushes, it is absolutely wonderful. I thank you kindly for your business, for your words of encouragement and for your critical analysis. I will have some very different models coming out soon, something that detracts from the traditional shape. Stay tuned!

Thank you again!

Tom J. Rakowski
www.tjrakowski.com

Welcome to B&B. Nice of you to visit with us. There is a Shopping forum especially set up for venders to provide information on new products, specials, etc. Please take advantage of it and don't be a stranger.

I took the liberty of compiling the most thought provoking questions/critiques concerning my product. I take this information very seriously since it allows me to constantly "stay on top of my craft". To satisfy "some" speculation concerning the quality of my product I have a FAQ on my website: www.tjrakowski.com

Is my product world class? I don't dwell on it. But I will challenge ANY manufacturer in the world to an unbiased performance test. As they say: Bring it On! I've had this challenge for over a year and no takers. As a degreed engineer the tests I have done are conclusive and repeatable per standard testing models (the same ones used to determine deflection rates in natural bristles).

In ref to brush density: it is packed as dense as it could get, any more dense and it would be in the next knot size range. The quality is as good as its going to get for a premium badger Silvertip and Super Badger. Yes, there is a difference between the two pedigrees, they are not mutually interchangeable. Anyone that tells you that Silvertip is Superbadger is WRONG.

Let's face it, I'm a new face in an industry dominated by 100+ year old names and royal warrants, I'm having a blast!

In the upcoming weeks I will introduce more designs, stay tuned and thank you for all your input, keep it coming!

You guys are GREAT!

Happy Shaving!

Top Bottom