$image.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 55
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 55
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 55
That's interesting. How does it behave? Lapping this now btw. It is compliant on 220 so far. It is quite convexed up top. This is harder to lap than lune. Giving off a vaguely metallic muddy odor. This stone seems to be a quartz bomb

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
it has glassy feedback....very slick under the blade with water. Seems like it cuts and polishes at the same time. Scott honed a boker on it that came out very nice. I haven't done much testing with it so that's about all I can say about it now

I need to revise my opinion of lapping this material. It's kind of tough and annoying despite readily shedding material. It has a habit of giving up the remnants of the pockmarks as you lap it and leaving stray scratches. I am guessing this is low grit related and will stop. I need some fresh wet dry tomorrow, I quit for now. It has/had the classic annoying wear that only a freehand knife guy would probably put on a stone.

This is much much harder material than lune and it seems way more "together" in its matrix if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
For those of you with these, did you pin out the pockmarks with hard crystalline bits to clean out any potential toxic debris or has it not been an issue for you?

Close to flat. The whole top was pretty seriously arched out. I am going to throw the kitchen sink at this one to max out the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

David

The pockmarks haven't caused me any trouble, but I do worry about oil getting down in them and possibly causing damage down the road

Lapped, finally. Not an easy stone to lap even though it loses material consistently. It doesn't like really coarse lapping surfaces too much so I stuck to 250. I reinstated a proper chamfer, then went through a few other grits up to a deadened piece of 3000. Followed that up with a little soap bar of la grise. It slurried that coti like mad. Very very very aggressive abrasive. Stayed on that till the suction effect was very pronounced all over and then moved on to a two toned thuringian slurry stone till it got to that same point. Apart form the inherent pockmarks, the surface is perfection...

Last edited:
Excited about this. I have a feeling I am going to trash the first edge I put to this. I get the impression from how aggressive the material is that buffer and restraint are the keys here..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just fed this to a J Wiss American steel blade I honed but never stropped. It was undercutting aggressively after 10 laps so I stopped. Stropped 45/100. The HHT is vicious. I'll give it a go to see if it feels vicious.

I made a mix with glycerin for the first run. Actually mixed it thicker than the sewing machine oil I typically use (which I need to find). I should try lather as well.

I'm not oil-phobic like a lot of guys, I just treated it like I would treat a lune for the first go because I want to see the difference in how the edge feels between them

David

Cool. I just finished honing a boker on a trans. It was HHT 3-4 off the stone...wouldn't pop root out. When I saw this post I got my special stone with glycerin/ water (per Sebastian's suggestion) and did 10 super light x strokes and 10 super light circles. Now its popping root in or root out the same. I see a harsh shave in my future...

My neck has been out so I didn't shave for over a week so it was a good test. That is one of the sharpest things I ever put on my face. It honestly felt like a jnat edge... I actually have a shallow nick, but it is my fault. Last few shaves I had been testing wedge se edges so I am rusty. Effortless atg under the nose. It feels a bit harsh to use, but no irritation or burn.

Top Bottom