What's new

My La Lune arrived safely

Finally arrived from france after a bit of a wait. Big relief that it was packed fastidiously. No longer has the foil moon man, but it has retained its extra fine stamp which is just as good. I think someone worked on some fountain pen nibs with this at some point so I just need to lap the working surface a touch, degrease it a touch, and it will be good to go.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I scraped that gunk off the stamped side with a se razor blade. Stone really isn't porous, 90% of the residue came off the outside with just dish soap just now. I am out of sandpaper, so I need to pick some up. I think I will feed it a good razor as the test blade. I've been meaning to set the bevel on this Peaso, and this gives me a good excuse.

proxy.php

Last edited:
On a thin oil like sewing machine oil, these are supposed to be beyond escher level. I've read other things on these that make it sound phenomenal once you crack the technique on how to use it. Thin oil, very low number of passes, like in the 10-15 zone is what I have been told is sufficient, otherwise it can kill an edge.

Lappy lap lap! I am going to go up to 3k just for giggles with this, but here it is off 1k. Even as it feels now, I am thinking it may have a shot at living up to the crazy drunken boasts that I have read about it.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It's good to go. I finished it off by slurrying a piece of la grise coti on it a few times just to gild the lily. It feels phenomenally fine.

I just finished a Robeson on it. This stone is no joke. It came off the lune "now you have something to think about, har har har!" level keen. I may sacrifice this edge just to see how many laps I can do before it has a negative effect.

Interesting are the smal pockmarks which seems to be on the red lune stones....another identifier to the metallic shimmer the stone is showing....

Nice stone. Raise a thin slurry with a 1200 DMT (Credit Card) or a small Ark, I have a 1 X3 translucent I use.

Add 2-3 drops of Smith’s Honing Solution, a water soluble oil from Lowe’s or most Knife shops and do some laps thinning with drops to clear water.

I do believe mine produces a finer edger than any of my Eschers.

Enjoy

I've not slurried it, but I've done final polish with it coming off of other exceptional finishers using water, water with a touch of dish soap, sewing machine oil. Like an edge that is already very shave-ready by any standard and it wrings more out of the steel. The edges are utterly phenomenal as long as you don't get greedy with the thing. If you try to go too far, it just gets killed like blowing on a house of cards. I will have a celebrated water hone here sometime this week so I can dare to compare edge characteristics for myself. All this said, I still think I prefer my Vosgienne, though that hone can be a complete pain in the *** as well. I've pushed edges too far only to find out once they hit the strop. I'm a lot better about that now.

I've not slurried it, but I've done final polish with it coming off of other exceptional finishers using water, water with a touch of dish soap, sewing machine oil. Like an edge that is already very shave-ready by any standard and it wrings more out of the steel. The edges are utterly phenomenal as long as you don't get greedy with the thing. If you try to go too far, it just gets killed like blowing on a house of cards. I will have a celebrated water hone here sometime this week so I can dare to compare edge characteristics for myself. All this said, I still think I prefer my Vosgienne, though that hone can be a complete pain in the *** as well. I've pushed edges too far only to find out once they hit the strop. I'm a lot better about that now.

I believe I have one of these La Lune or Special Hones as well and have lapped it but haven't done any serious testing of it yet (been distracted by arkies). How do you measure too far? I've been spoiled with Arkies where it's hard to go "too far" and am not sure what to look for with these stones.

Foil edges, microchipping on the strop. It really will kill an edge. Like do 10-15 laps on a blade you have done on another finishing stone already, check, and then go in bits if you feel it needs more, like 4 or 5. Whatever the cutting agent is, it is aggressive in these things.

I would say it depends on the razor. I went too far on purpose with a few just to see what certain blades could take. Kind of like diving the submarine as far as you can to find the limit.. Weird stones, but awesome. Your ark can kill an edge easily too if you make a wrong move.

Top Bottom