What's new

My La Lune arrived safely

Mine are all dense/heavy for the size and very waxy feeling. They're fast, not waterstones at all, no slurry necessary, need a light touch, restraint with the laps, and thorough stropping. They can pull an edge to a very very sharp level and pull one back from further away than something like a thuri can.

Idk what is up with the autoslurrying on some new ones. Maybe he needs to test the pieces he cuts more thoroughly vs committing to cranking out volume.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I couldn’t watch that many honing videos on you tube, I don’t have that many brain cells to kill.

There are a lot of Jnats that will slurry a little at knife pressure, but not at razor pressure, at least in the length of time that it takes to hone a razor.

Mine doesn't seem to self slurry at all. Was it just lapped with a 400 Atoma? Cause i can imagine it would self slurry for a bit then.

As stated earlier my new 150X60 LaLune arrived Thur. and was not flat so I lapped it w/well worn DMT325, one corner still drops off just a bit.
This stone seems just as hard as my labeled "Extra Fine" and lapped in a very similar way, stone seems reasonably hard.
I then ran an old practice razor over it for a few minuets under lots of plain water and it did kick up just a touch of slurry, really just barely visible and that was it. I expect it was just remnants from the lapping as after rinsing it has shown no signs of it and I was using just a touch more pressure than I would have bevel setting to break the surface in.

My first test edge is on a LeGrelot P. Hospitals # 193 - 6/8th's, very good French steel, seemed an appropriate choice.
This razor had not been taken back to bevel for a few years so I did some minor heal correction and then removed all oxidized steel & micro chipping at the edge w/ Shapton GL 1K.
Progression was then Chosera 3K> Nani Gouken Hayabusa 4K > Nani Gouken Fugi 8K > Nani SS 12K> stropped on horse butt, calibrated HHT was an audible 4. All edge artifacts under 100X mag. were gone and I have no doubt this edge would have saved well enough for a synthetic 12k.
I proceeded to the new LaLune w/water and a drop of dish soap, weight of blade X strokes 15. Edge under Mag. was slightly more refined (high polish) w/no signs of break-down or wire edge. Stropped on Neil Miller Cordovan and the HHT jumped to a silent 5, just what I would expect from my vintage purple stone.
Honing feedback was very very similar also, very silky w/just a touch of stiction / great to have an extra inch of runway to hone on.
I will shave a week old beard tonight and give a shave report.

Frank

The king wait is over. My very own vintage La Lune has finally arrived safely in Melbourne. I’ve been looking for one of these for a while now.

IMG_0876.jpeg

Last edited:
Those French love a big Chamfer, don't they.
They sure do. In my view it cuts unnecessarily into the working face of the stone. I favour a smaller rounded edge personally but “c’est La vie”. At least they cut chamfers at a fairly shallow angle.

No moon man but a faint shadow of the Extra Fine stamp is still visible on the side face.

I think it's just because when these and the special stones get dinged on 90 degree edges they really like to chunk out badly.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Ah, interesting. I have not owned one of these yet, so that is good to know.
I had one years ago that was badly dished and discovered this by accident. The more I lapped the more it kept chipping. I put the wide chamfers back on and it and it stopped almost immediately.

Now I need to dig out my La Lune again.
Previous attempts gave me some chipping issues.
How are you guys using it?
8k to water or oil?
4-6k to slurry and oil/water ?

I have no idea how anyone is using the current ones with slurry or on water. Oil or solution or lather or water with dish soap for lower laps and reading the draw/undercut is what I have always done. They're really fast for a finisher. You can almost treat one like a natural barber hone...

I had one years ago that was badly dished and discovered this by accident. The more I lapped the more it kept chipping. I put the wide chamfers back on and it and it stopped almost immediately.
Know what I think it is, the way the layers in the stone seem so jagged and short/interrupted vs long seams so when a piece goes you get this horrible, irregular break with extra collateral damage.

I had that problem with a Schwedenstein I got. Was a cool stone; one of the only rustic cut schwedensteins I'd ever seen but based on looks and performance; I was pretty sure that was what it was... but darnit; thing started 2" thick with a decent dish, was flat but flaking apart @ 1.5" thick and was <1/2" thick before I gave up trying to lap past the flaking.

I have no idea how anyone is using the current ones with slurry or on water. Oil or solution or lather or water with dish soap for lower laps and reading the draw/undercut is what I have always done. They're really fast for a finisher. You can almost treat one like a natural barber hone...
10 laps on lather has always been plenty for me on the new ones.i need to finish lapping my old blue one(special stone, I think, no labels) I've got and see what it does.

I just retried my La Lune (purple).
My first attempt was a failure. 8k to La Lune with slurry, finishing with oil. This resulted in a micro chipped edge

Second attempt.
8k to slurry, diluting to misty slurry. No damage seen.
I now did a little work in a Les latneuses hybrid. This is a La Lune Les Latneuses combined stone.
No chipping this time.

My particular La Lune does not work well with clear water, or oil if it is used after a slurry dilution.

My next attempt will be 12k to La Lune with oil. I need to figure out if the slurry is causing damage that is revealed later when i use it with oil, or if my stone is not suitable as a pure finisher.

Top Bottom