What's new

My La Lune arrived safely

Still just dipping my big toe with this hone, but experimented a bit more. It's pretty breathtaking how sharp you can get a blade on this. Very minimal number of passes seems to be the order of the day. It's going to take me awhile to learn how to get the most from it. I am honestly surprised that this is so different to the purple lune. Purple has a lot of cutting power and a good piece can get you past a thuri by a touch and still be comfortable, this romps past a thuri in the sharp department, but what you get seems more highly strung. I will work on that.

Try a few shaves in a row every other day - then you'll know real quick if it's a harsher edge, lol. I never count any results after not shaving for that long - even edges I normally consider harsh can do ok after that much time between shaves.

With my skin, coming off a break is when the potential for disaster is at it's highest. I have really sensitive skin. BTW, I tried vitos for the first time with that yesterday. Very good soap.

Not for me. My face doesn't like shaving every day, I usually go every other day or every third day. Good thing straights give a nice close shave - nobody even notices, lol.

Me every day is a disaster of redness and huge layoffs can be weepers. every third day is the sweet spot for my skin.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Cool. I just finished honing a boker on a trans. It was HHT 3-4 off the stone...wouldn't pop root out. When I saw this post I got my special stone with glycerin/ water (per Sebastian's suggestion) and did 10 super light x strokes and 10 super light circles. Now its popping root in or root out the same. I see a harsh shave in my future...
Just now got around to shaving with this razor. It was a stellar shave. It's the best combination of sharp/smooth I've ever produced. Nelson, you would have been proud of this one.
Now, can I do it again....

That stone makes a blade stunningly sharp in short order. The purple stuff is a more balanced experience. I think it would be easier to get ultra sharp and smooth out of lune, but ssofgr has one hell of a party piece as far as sharp goes. It feels like a pushed jnat edge

David

I need to try another razor and go straight from the coti to the special stone and see how that goes.

That stone makes a blade stunningly sharp in short order. The purple stuff is a more balanced experience. I think it would be easier to get ultra sharp and smooth out of lune, but ssofgr has one hell of a party piece as far as sharp goes. It feels like a pushed jnat edge

Don't get that at all. I get a good edge out of it. But it's basically a less forgiving and slightly less comfortable Thuri edge. Doesn't even come close to the sharpness I can get out of my Jnats.

I need to try another razor and go straight from the coti to the special stone and see how that goes.

That's how I get my best results off them. They're shallow cutters that like an almost shave-ready edge to begin with. They don't fare well with how I like to test stones, coming off of low-middle grit synths to prove they're capable of advancing an edge and aren't just "refinishers". That's why mine gets very little use.

Last edited:
My finest piece of purple lune is a slight tweak above a thuri, the other one is close but not quite at the same level. This has coughed up three insanely sharp edges so far. Like sharp to the point where it would be annoying if it were my only finisher. I can only go by how an edge is reacting to my beard, particularly atg in the densest areas. It isn't as smooth as a thuringian, but neither is a lune for that matter. Thuris also seem to be way more consistent stone for stone and easier to get the most from. Those are major considerations. I have yellow green, light green, dark blue, and barber's delight here and this definitely does sharp better than those, granted, it is not the most forgiving sharp but it can't be discounted.. There just seems to be a lot of variance with this stuff. Mine can eat steel, sebastian's can eat steel going from email convos, yet some guys have slower ones. Idk how those are. I am going to try an imperial cutlery on it later.

Had an aborted attempt with the imperial. Was a razor I knocked a decent amount of corrosion from. I think I need to go into it a touch more on low grit to get to better steel. It was showing no ill signs till the strop and on the spot it fizzed a bit at the toe where there was a fair bit of oxidation. I'll get it going. I went from a coti to an unknown hone I have that I use as a prefinisher then the ssofgr. I also stropped a bit more than usual on the leather. The hht in a clean zone of the edge is extremely aggressive. Tested it dry on a few spots like on the sides of my neck where stray hair from the back of my head can slowly come in. Edge felt more in balance this time around. Need to redo this so I can test properly.

David

Mine definitely doesn't eat steel. The razor I honed up the other day was shave ready before I put it to the special stone. It kicked the HHT up a bit and the shave was wonderful, but I'm not sure how much the Ark had to do with that...

I'd still rather shave off of an ark finished edge coming off of something else extremely fine than almost anything. A really conditioned trans for a hundred laps or so after one of these would be interesting. A back burner idea to try.

I thought I might resurrect this old but interesting thread since some of us have the newly marketed LaLunes & the vintage labled examples.
Perhaps some would be interested in the comparisons between these new stones and the vintage examples also the "Special Stones for Razors" comparison.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
What techniques? Extra passes, going from 5-8k...?
I think the new ones behave differently.

Go to the other thread and look at Nicholas’ video - mikawa progression, lapping with Atoma 400, finishing on slurry …

How do you think that they are different?

Go to the other thread and look at Nicholas’ video - mikawa progression, lapping with Atoma 400, finishing on slurry …

How do you think that they are different?

Never watched the video.
I think that they might be softer. I don't have one or plan to get one but another thread has mentioned an almost auto slurry.
New honer mind you but the vintage will never auto slurry.
There would be no need to use a slurry on my hone and would probably be detrimental to the edge not beneficial.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Never watched the video.
I think that they might be softer. I don't have one or plan to get one but another thread has mentioned an almost auto slurry.
New honer mind you but the vintage will never auto slurry.
There would be no need to use a slurry on my hone and would probably be detrimental to the edge not beneficial.

A friend of mine did a kitchen knife on his 200 x 60 and got a little pink in the swarf, but this is at knife pressure.

I’ve been using 15-20 strokes on my 150 x 60, and the stone would have to be really, really, soft to get any pink swarf without undue pressure.

So far, what I’ve experienced and heard is consistent with a harder slate, which I believe that these are.

Top Bottom