What's new

My La Lune arrived safely

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I lapped mine on an atoma 1200 then hit it with some BBW. I'm ok with it being slow, I just remember several people talk about how aggressive they cut but I'm not seeing it that way. I actually prefer it to be on the slow side. Thinning the oil helped a lot.

Messieu , mais quest que vous faiser , avec cet pierre daffutage , tres finne . Aguiser votre razoir ...

ha congrats with the new french hone .Now you have to learn the french , to read the instructions .......:lol:

Last edited:

David

Universal honing instructions:
"rub razor against stone until desired edge is acheived"

seriously though...this one (to me) is tricky. Still haven't figured it out. The shave was ok, but not where it needs to be.

David

What is a well done la lune edge supposed to feel like? This edge was very keen, but it was also very bitey. It cut the tiny mole on my neck....I haven't cut myself there in 8-10 months.

What is a well done la lune edge supposed to feel like? This edge was very keen, but it was also very bitey. It cut the tiny mole on my neck....I haven't cut myself there in 8-10 months.

I always described the edges coming from water as harsh and very sharp, so i mostly used a thuri afterwards to smooth out the result...

As mentioned the glycerine/water thing works the best and gives good results...just try it David....

$GEDC2320.jpg$GEDC2321.jpgJust got this one last week, honed a LeGrelott and the edge off it was superb.
Came off a mellow little Kiita, a dozen laps on glycerin and water and the edge was definitely up a notch but retained the smooth shaving quality I fine so appealing about most of my J-Nat edges and with very little effort.
I've got a Vosgienne on the way, in your guy's experience how do the two stones differ?

View attachment 573158View attachment 573159Just got this one last week, honed a LeGrelott and the edge off it was superb.
Came off a mellow little Kiita, a dozen laps on glycerin and water and the edge was definitely up a notch but retained the smooth shaving quality I fine so appealing about most of my J-Nat edges and with very little effort.
I've got a Vosgienne on the way, in your guy's experience how do the two stones differ?

What the definition for a Vosgienne ?

Mine has decent feedback on a slurry but pretty much nothing on water. It too is very fine and produces very keen edges.

They have gotten well beyond stupid expensive lately. There is one guy who hammers every stamped one that shows up. Sucks.

From the sloppy application I wouldn't be surprised if the original owner took a razor and cut it off the face and reglued it to the back.

What the definition for a Vosgienne ?

I wish I had an answer for this question as the LaLune is the only stone like this that I currently have. I got a small Vos? on it's way, should be here end of the week. Will be able to post pic's then.
For you guy's that hone on both stones ( LL and Vos), do you hone on them in any significantly different way?

Vosgienne is quite different imo. Vos tend to be glassier vs that weird glazed mud thing lunes have going on. I can use my vosgienne with water and get a great result. Vosgienne takes more laps. Vosgienne has zero feedback and line gives some.

Top Bottom